My Question for tonight's Dino Babers Show | Syracusefan.com

My Question for tonight's Dino Babers Show

SWC75

Bored Historian

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 60 minutes, with the first 50 minutes being with Dino and the last 10 minutes being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG (Update: this account seems to have closed.)
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

Coach, you bemoaned the loss of good players to other schools because of NIL in your Monday press conference. You said that you did not wish to discuss our efforts in this area, so I have a different question.

You’ve lost some key people to the portal but you’ve also gains quite a few, including three quarterbacks, three starting offensive linemen, (two of them currently injured), D’Marcus Adams, Dan Villari, Braylen Ingraham on the defensive line and Isaiah Johnson, Alijah Clark, the guys from Nebraska and Notre Dame in the backfield. What does the balance sheet look like? Is this era hurting or helping schools like Syracuse?

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 60 minutes, with the first 50 minutes being with Dino and the last 10 minutes being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG (Update: this account seems to have closed.)
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

Coach, you bemoaned the loss of good players to other schools because of NIL in your Monday press conference. You said that you did not wish to discuss our efforts in this area, so I have a different question.

You’ve lost some key people to the portal but you’ve also gains quite a few, including three quarterbacks, three starting offensive linemen, (two of them currently injured), D’Marcus Adams, Dan Villari, Braylen Ingraham on the defensive line and Isaiah Johnson, Alijah Clark, the guys from Nebraska and Notre Dame in the backfield. What does the balance sheet look like? Is this era hurting or helping schools like Syracuse?

These are questions the press should be asking!!!!!

Keep up the good work!!!!

Will be interested to hear the coach’s tone in answering this question. One could argue we are trading quality for quantity - is that what’s going on here?

1 - I'm not sure the HC can discuss "our efforts" regarding NIL cause isn't NIL supposed to be separate from the athletic department, so any efforts regarding NIL aren't really "our efforts"?

2 - I believe his response was specific to depth. Babers was asked to characterize the team's depth going into week 7. Babers said, “It’s the same old thing: Depth is gone, our depth is in the transfer portal. You know how many guys we lost. You know what schools they play at. Schools like us, we’re not gonna have a lot of depth because it gets bought away.”

How many players has Syracuse lost and how many players has Syracuse picked up? The following number are according to 247sports.
  • 2023: outgoing 12, incoming 7, net -5.
  • 2022: outgoing 18, incoming 8, net -10.
  • 2021: outgoing 16, incoming 3, net -13.
  • Three-year totals: outgoing 46, incoming 18, net -28.

In July of 2021 Coach Babers said, “I don’t think we have the depth we need to have,” Babers said, “You may have a number, but if your number has been here one year or two years, do you really have a number?

Often, we have had to replace a player who has been in the program for a year or two with a high school recruit. So, we may have the number (85 scholarship players), but the experience of the players on the roster is less.

Examples:
  • Losing Lamson and picking up Davis is not an equal swap.
    • Lamson was in the program for two seasons and three springs. Davis is brand new to the program.
    • Lamson was ready to be a serviceable back-up in 2023, Davis is not.
  • Losing Chestnut and picking up Bellamy is not an equal swap.
    • Chestnut was a two-year starter.
    • Bellamy has started one game in his college career.
  • Losing Carter and picking up Gould is not an equal swap.
    • Carter had 28 starts at Syracuse.
    • Gould has yet to start a game.
    • With Carter our starting safeties would likely be Carter, Clark and Baron instead of Simmons, Clark and Baron.
I hope Davis, Bellamy and Gould all have great careers at Syracuse, but, IMO, we would be stronger had Lamson. Chesnut and Carter stayed at Syracuse.

What happened to Carter and Chestnut is a discussion for another day. Hopefully current players take note of their experiences.

I was curious to see how our depth compared to other teams in the conference. I decided to look at the important position of quarterback. Regardless of system every team uses one QB.
  • Syracuse and Duke have 4 QBs on their roster (lowest in the ACC).
  • Louisville has 9 QBs on their roster.
  • The league average is 5.9 QBs on each roster.
IMO, we do not have good depth at the QB position.

Since the depth problem is not new, I'd be interested in hearing what his plan is to address our depth needs moving forward.

Good points, all. #1 is very important. A few questions:

1. If NIL is truly separate, are there essentially forces outside the program with some level of control over Dino’s roster?
2. How does the team prioritize and offer current players to keep them if NIL is outside their domain?
3. For players currently on the roster with “stay at home” NIL deals, how did they come about?

My mind is spinning here.

Last edited:
Good points, all. #1 is very important. A few questions:

1. If NIL is truly separate, are there forces outside the program with some level of control over Dino’s roster?
2. How does the team prioritize and offer current players to keep them if NIL is outside their domain?
3. For players currently on the roster with “stay at home” NIL deals, how did they come about?

My mind is spinning here.

I would love to know the answers to your questions, but I do not. The university does seem to play a role in connecting athletes with NIL opportunities, but the university does not appear to be actually providing said opportunities.

This article is a month old and has some good information.

It’s 2023,” said SU athletic director John Wildhack. “This is college athletics and if you’re gonna compete at the highest level, which is what we want to do, you need to have a good NIL program.”

This article is two years old.

There are a couple of posters here that appear to know how this sausage is made, but I'm not one of them. I don't expect Caoch Babers to share much information on this subject if asked, its just not his way. But I do hope other posters who may know would share whatever they can share about how this works.

every D1 school still plays by the same rules. it's just that the rules changed and Coaches best keep up .
better question :
coach how many 57 yard field goals have been kicked in Syracuse history ? or the NCAA ?
i'll hang up and listen...

Last edited:
1 - I'm not sure the HC can discuss "our efforts" regarding NIL cause isn't NIL supposed to be separate from the athletic department, so any efforts regarding NIL aren't really "our efforts"?

2 - I believe his response was specific to depth. Babers was asked to characterize the team's depth going into week 7. Babers said, “It’s the same old thing: Depth is gone, our depth is in the transfer portal. You know how many guys we lost. You know what schools they play at. Schools like us, we’re not gonna have a lot of depth because it gets bought away.”

How many players has Syracuse lost and how many players has Syracuse picked up? The following number are according to 247sports.

In July of 2021 Coach Babers said, “I don’t think we have the depth we need to have,” Babers said, “You may have a number, but if your number has been here one year or two years, do you really have a number?

Often, we have had to replace a player who has been in the program for a year or two with a high school recruit. So, we may have the number (85 scholarship players), but the experience of the players on the roster is less.

Examples:
    • Lamson was in the program for two seasons and three springs. Davis is brand new to the program.
    • With Carter our starting safeties would likely be Carter, Clark and Baron instead of Simmons, Clark and Baron.

Wouldn't the better argument be made that our starting talent is in the portal, not depth? The issue is that if that talent doesn't leave then we probably don't have the players come in as much as they have, which provides some depth.

Who would transfer to a school with a 2 or 3 year starter there, as opposed to a school where you can compete for the spot? More would transfer in to get that spot than if the incumbent stayed.

The overall question is whether that incumbent is superior to the multiple people brought in to replace?

Wouldn't the better argument be made that our starting talent is in the portal, not depth? The issue is that if that talent doesn't leave then we probably don't have the players come in as much as they have, which provides some depth.

Who would transfer to a school with a 2 or 3 year starter there, as opposed to a school where you can compete for the spot? More would transfer in to get that spot than if the incumbent stayed.

The overall question is whether that incumbent is superior to the multiple people brought in to replace?
Depth is quality numbers, not just numbers. So yeah odds are the replacements won’t be as good even if the are still replacements

Chicken/egg.

Starter leaves, depth becomes starter, often replaced in scholarship by someone not as good.

Now you have two players on the two deep that aren’t as good as the first two.

Every single time he talks about an opponent with a better record than them it's like they are playing the KC Chiefs. It's all woe is me and how are we going to compete? I know it's just a dumb talk show but he just does not instill any confidence whatsoever.

I did appreciate him talking about NIL and the portal more though.

Depth is quality numbers, not just numbers. So yeah odds are the replacements won’t be as good
Aren't they quality numbers? Lately we haven't brought in players just because. Depth is not talking about starting talent here. If it is, then we'll never have it.

Examples:
I hope Davis, Bellamy and Gould all have great careers at Syracuse, but, IMO, we would be stronger had Lamson. Chesnut and Carter stayed at Syracuse.

What happened to Carter and Chestnut is a discussion for another day. Hopefully current players take note of their experiences.

I was curious to see how our depth compared to other teams in the conference. I decided to look at the important position of quarterback. Regardless of system every team uses one QB.
  • Syracuse and Duke have 4 QBs on their roster (lowest in the ACC).
  • Louisville has 9 QBs on their roster.
  • The league average is 5.9 QBs on each roster.
IMO, we do not have good depth at the QB position.

Since the depth problem is not new, I'd be interested in hearing what his plan is to address our depth needs moving forward.
The majority of those 48 got the talk. Most guys that left left because they weren’t starting or playing.

The roster 1-85 is in better shape now than in 2021.

Aren't they quality numbers? Lately we haven't brought in players just because. Depth is not talking about starting talent here. If it is, then we'll never have it.

Everyone complains about Greenwood playing. If Carter stayed, he starts and Greenwoods snaps go to the current starter (Simmons).

The majority of those 48 got the talk. Most guys that left left because they weren’t starting or playing.

The roster 1-85 is in better shape now than in 2021.

Yeah, other than Duce and Carter, who was "bought"? Maybe Geer and Lamson, but both went back to their home states. Maybe Geer was given an offer to do so, but Lamson wasn't bought by any means.

If we had Duce and Carter, I don't think that changes our 4-2 record.

These are questions the press should be asking!!!!!

Keep up the good work!!!!
I heard that on my way home from BassPro in Utica after a failed NYS other issue... Great Question too! I sorta turned it off on the answer to be honest for other reasons unrelated to the Orange.

Depth and starting talent are intertwined. If we lose starters and the new guys don't become starters, that means our former backups are now the starters and the new guys are the new backups, so quality of depth is worse. I understand it may not always be that simple, losing a guy with one year left versus gaining a guy with multiple years left, but if that is a consistent pattern you're always chasing next year.

But losing starting talent and not replacing it with starting talent is a net loss in depth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom