My Questions, Comments and Theories for tonight's Dino Babers Show | Syracusefan.com

My Questions, Comments and Theories for tonight's Dino Babers Show

SWC75

Bored Historian

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to Free Radio Online | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

First segment question:

I’ll start by giving him my updated stats on punt and kickoff returns: Teams that have returned kick-offs for touchdowns are 22-17 while those who have returned punts for touchdowns are 34-8. I will suggest the reason is that good teams tend to return more punts and bad teams then to return more kickoffs.

“Coach another thing I researched was your record in one score games. People have suggested that you have problems making good decisions in close games. Over your career you are 17-17, so you must have made some good decisions along the way. That’s 7th among the 14 current ACC coaches and 13th among the 32 coaches schools that have played in the ACC since we joined it, (including Maryland and Notre Dame), have employed during that period. But this is strange: through the 2017 Clemson game, you were 14-6. Since then, you are 3-11.

That may be just a run of bad luck. But the coaches among those 32 with the best career records in close games are Brian Kelly (.660), Jimbo Fisher (.633) and Dabo Swinney (.615). My theory is that, even if an underdog manages to overcome a talent gap to make a game close, that talent gap will still give the favored team a better chance to make the plays needed to win close games. I think you generally had more talent than your opponent in your Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green days and have tended to have less talent in your Syracuse days.

Why do you think you’ve lost 11 of your last 14 one-score games?”

Second segment question:

“Coach, I’ve been reading Coach Smith’s book and I wanted to ask about this passage on pages 61-62:

“Procedures and decisions mostly, although not always, separate themselves. What separation does is encourage high-repetition work on decisions…What you do in simulation is to get yourself led into dilemmas and make decision. If a dilemma ties you up and threatens to make you waste time or call time-out, you ‘push the reset button’, which is to say that you have your assistant start you over. You do this until you are sure that indecision by you in a game will not cost your team precious seconds.”

Chapter 20 describes what seems like an elaborate board game involving the coaches and quarterbacks. Is that how you prepare to make the decisions you need to make in a game – or have you evolved your own system?”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom