My questions for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

My questions for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

Coach, last week you noted that the top three teams in the country, (Villanova, Virginia and Purdue) don’t have any ‘one and dones’. It seems to me that the most successful schools either take the cream of the crop of recruits each year, even if they are likely to leave early, and just try to out-talent their opposition or they get players to stay for four years and develop into really good college players and teams. In fact I think the latter schools have actually had the greater success. What is the secret to getting kids to stay: academic goals, family aspirations, coaching relationships or is it just draft status?

Second Hour:

Coach, I know you can’t comment on specific recruits but I’ve heard we made an offer to a kid who is averaging 50 points a game. We could use a guy like that. (Five of them and we’d never lose.) Who is the highest scoring player you’ve ever successfully recruited? I’m guessing it’s one of the first- Hal Cohen.

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

Coach, last week you noted that the top three teams in the country, (Villanova, Virginia and Purdue) don’t have any ‘one and dones’. It seems to me that the most successful schools either take the cream of the crop of recruits each year, even if they are likely to leave early, and just try to out-talent their opposition or they get players to stay for four years and develop into really good college players and teams. In fact I think the latter schools have actually had the greater success. What is the secret to getting kids to stay: academic goals, family aspirations, coaching relationships or is it just draft status?

Second Hour:

Coach, I know you can’t comment on specific recruits but I’ve heard we made an offer to a kid who is averaging 50 points a game. We could use a guy like that. (Five of them and we’d never lose.) Who is the highest scoring player you’ve ever successfully recruited? I’m guessing it’s one of the first- Hal Cohen.

In regards to your first question, here's what I think JB's answer will be. If he had a "Magic 8 Ball" he would take the recent "Nova, Cav's, Boilermakers, etc. route. Other than McCollough, I don't recall any of our recruits in the last 10 years that were sure thing one and done's, a la Duke, UK, etc. The Ennis', Richardson's, Lydon's, Grant's, etc. all went sooner than I think JB or any of the coaches had envisioned. Draft status is really what it comes down to. It wasn't too long ago that we had to worry about our guys leaving if they were projected Top 15, now, it's late first round and even second round (see Battle) bolting. I certainly get why the young men are bolting, and I would to if I was guaranteed that kind of coin based upon pure potential and not having to produce a wink for my employer. As the great Steve Miller lyric goes, 'go on take the money and run.'

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

Second Hour:

Who is 50 points/game player? Don’t make me go on the recruiting board. I’m too lazy!

I really like your questions. I also suspect JB would far prefer the kids who stay. I know Coach K feels that way, but finally “gave in” to the times and now is outrecruiting Cal. Don’t you think most coaches would want the kids who stay, whom they have an opportunity to mold into a team?

Who is 50 points/game player? Don’t make me go on the recruiting board. I’m too lazy!

I really like your questions. I also suspect JB would far prefer the kids who stay. I know Coach K feels that way, but finally “gave in” to the times and now is outrecruiting Cal. Don’t you think most coaches would want the kids who stay, whom they have an opportunity to mold into a team?

Syracuse offers scholarship to Joseph Girard III, New York's all-time leading scorer

I'm sure any coach, (except maybe Calipari) would prefer 4 year guys like the old days. But I wouldn't mind having 6 Mickey Dees, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom