My questions for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

My questions for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
First hour:

"Coach, everyone is talking about the mysteries of the jump shot. We’ve seen Trevor Cooney hit jump shots and we know Ron Patterson, BJ Johnson, Kaleb Joseph and even Michael Gbinije can hit them. I can think of several reasons why a play might miss a jump shot: closely guarded, out of his range, rushed it, off balance, not squared to the basket, poor form, lack of confidence, too much pressure, etc. As you watch these guys, do they all seem to have the same problems or are they missing for different reasons?"

Second hour:

"Coach, I remember Arinze Onuaku’s attempts to make free throws. He’d throw the ball practically into the rafters and it would come down at the basket with the velocity of the comet that killed the dinosaurs. I’ve noticed that Chris McCullough has a high trajectory with his shot and is struggling at the line. It’s been argued that a high trajectory is good because the basket gets narrower if you come at it from the side. But it also seems to cause the ball to bounce violently away from the rim if the shot isn’t dead on. Is there an ideal trajectory for a jump shot or a foul shot?"

Note: I got out my old "Boeheim on Basketball" tape from 1989, where he makes 33 free throws in a row. There's no specific mention of trajectory but he does stress focusing on "getting it over the front rim", which suggests a lower trajectory might be better.

I had to sigh a bit when Doug Logan introduced the taper talking about our high-flying offense and how much we like to get out and run. Oh Lord

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-4424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript of the first hour the night of the broadcast and will probably do the second hour the following day.

Last edited:
I sure hope you can get out the phrase about the comet and the dinosaurs, because I laughed out loud! Look forward to reading your transcript, as always.

Coach has to be feeling a little depressed right now. I am wondering if he's thinking of retirement? Oh, to just sit on the porch and chase kids off your lawn!

I was always taught a higher arc was better for jump shots rather than more of a flat shot. You also seem to get better bounces with a higher arced jump shot. Im not sure what to believe now??

I sure hope you can get out the phrase about the comet and the dinosaurs, because I laughed out loud! Look forward to reading your transcript, as always.

Coach has to be feeling a little depressed right now. I am wondering if he's thinking of retirement? Oh, to just sit on the porch and chase kids off your lawn!

I used that when AO was still here and got a lot of laughs out of it. It's too cold to sit on the porch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom