My Questions for tonight's Dino Babers Show | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Dino Babers Show

Although I'm not positive, I think I've heard DB say that taking the ball rather than deferring gives you a better chance at getting an extra possession. Again, I could be misremembering.

But...if DB does believe that, there is statistical evidence that deferring gives teams a slight advantage, which is why the vast majority of teams defer. We have taken the ball to start every game, including every coin toss that we have won this season.

"Receiving the ball to start the second half results, on average, in an extra point on the scoreboard and a 12% chance of stealing a possession. A lot of factors play into how different coaches prefer to start out each game, but teams will generally receive a slight advantage by deferring to the second half when given the chance."

Receive or Defer

I tried to call like an hour ago but it was just elevator music and eventually I just hung up.

Babers is moronic to always want to take the ball to start game. Just dumn assed. Always better to start second half with the ball. I was floored to learn that he was winning toss and electing to receive. The opposing coaches must be delighted to have a true buffoon on the other side line. Clown show 4 sure.
Don't agree. The defense is getting gassed and gashed because they are out on the field too long. Keep the D off the field for as long as possible. He is hoping the O can put together something sustained to start the game. It's an attempt to rest them.

Babers is moronic to always want to take the ball to start game. Just dumn assed. Always better to start second half with the ball. I was floored to learn that he was winning toss and electing to receive. The opposing coaches must be delighted to have a true buffoon on the other side line. Clown show 4 sure.
I don’t see where we would do any better with receiving the ball to start the second half.

Louisville wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

UConn wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Syracuse wins toss and will receive; (Purdue)

Virginia wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Syracuse wins toss and will receive; (Wagner)

NC State wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Clemson wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Notre Dame wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Pitt wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

We won the toss vs. FSU and elected to receive. So we've only won three tosses and one was against Wagner. I think what matters is the relative faith is you have in your offense or defense.

Although I'm not positive, I think I've heard DB say that taking the ball rather than deferring gives you a better chance at getting an extra possession. Again, I could be misremembering.

But...if DB does believe that, there is statistical evidence that deferring gives teams a slight advantage, which is why the vast majority of teams defer. We have taken the ball to start every game, including every coin toss that we have won this season.

"Receiving the ball to start the second half results, on average, in an extra point on the scoreboard and a 12% chance of stealing a possession. A lot of factors play into how different coaches prefer to start out each game, but teams will generally receive a slight advantage by deferring to the second half when given the chance."

Receive or Defer

We have had 116 possessions this season. Our opponents have had 123.

Louisville wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

UConn wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Syracuse wins toss and will receive; (Purdue)

Virginia wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Syracuse wins toss and will receive; (Wagner)

NC State wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Clemson wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Notre Dame wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Pitt wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;
Stupid Dino!!

Belichik always always defers.

s-l400.jpg

Except those first 6 games we scored 5 times on the opening possession.
Every other coach defers to the 2nd half for a reason. It’s the right move.

Every other coach defers to the 2nd half for a reason. It’s the right move.
Why?
I would think that if you believe that you can score taking the ball to start the game would be the call. Straight stats i get it. But SU scored on every possession in the first 6 games so wouldn't the team stats trump the industry stats? If you feel that you can score why wouldn't you want the ball to start?

Why?
I would think that if you believe that you can score taking the ball to start the game would be the call. Straight stats i get it. But SU scored on every possession in the first 6 games so wouldn't the team stats trump the industry stats? If you feel that you can score why wouldn't you want the ball to start?
If you can score to end the first half and start the 2nd half that is a possible 14 point swing without the other teams offense touching the ball.

Why?

I think there are reasons when you may take the ball first. Weather related reasons, rain, snow, wind coming, etc. other than that it’s common practice to defer to the 2nd half.

If you can score to end the first half and start the 2nd half that is a possible 14 point swing without the other teams offense touching the ball.
Yes,that would be true but only if you score before the end of the first half.
If however you score on the first possession and score before the end of the first half ...

Yup. I think most coaches choose that method for the reason you gave. I prefer to start the second half on offense. You have a better feel for how the game is going at that point. Its just nice knowing you have the ball to start the second half.

Receive or Defer

I will also add that it should depend on how good your O is and how good your D is. The way our O has been playing it is insane to get the ball first as you are giving the other team good field position to start.

If you are a high flying O (like what Dino wants to be), then take the ball first. If you are a mediocre to bad O then no way, unless your D is a sieve. The other factor is if you want to slow the game down. Then taking the ball first sets a tone. But none of this applies to SU in any of our games this year.

I would look at based on the strength of my O and D and the health of both. If i have a good O and they are healthy i want the ball to start the game as i dont know if they will be healthy in the second half. If i have a better D and they are healthy i want to start on D as again i dont know if kids will get hurt and im playing to start with better field position. I think it should be based on your team.

I’ve gone back and forth on the TO. In the end, while I’m not hard over one way or another, I didn’t really have a problem not taking the TO. I looked at it from the other side. I think if our opponent took a TO to score a meaningless TD with seconds left, I’d be annoyed. I’ve seen plenty of times where a team even just takes a knee.

agreed, I get wanting a cheap TD but it’s certainly not the monumental catastrophe that some would choose to make it. The team was beat and this isn’ pop Warner football, we aren’t dealing with 10 year old kids

Do you know why? Because he has figured out that doing so, he will have the ball last in the first half with a chance to score, and get the ball right back to start the second half.

Do you know why? Because he has figured out that doing so, he will have the ball last in the first half with a chance to score, and get the ball right back to start the second half.

We've gotten the opening kickoff in every game this year and had the ball at the end of the first half 5 times. There is no way to determine before the game if the team that kicks the ball to start the game will have the ball at the end of the half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom