My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
(I'm assuming he'll still be doing it?)

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

(Some years they have started out just with an hour show and later shifted to a two hour show. I came up with two questions and sent in the first, which is the question I always like to begin the year with. If it’s a two hour show, I’ll ask the second in the second hour.)

I’m assuming that the NCAA decision will be discussed at length and that there will be some limit as to what Jim will be able to say about it so I went with two questions on different subjects, although one is tangentially related to JB’s suspension.

First hour:

"Coach, Michael Gbinije was initially credited with a three pointer last night. The officials changed that to a two pointer several minutes later, after a number of possessions and at least one dead ball during which they did nothing about it. I would think this could affect the strategy the coaches employ down the stretch of a game, which can be based on the size of a lead. Also, what if there’s no dead ball between a disputed three pointer and the end of a game? If the officials are going to review something like that, shouldn’t it take place immediately?"

Second hour: (if they have one):

"Coach, here’s something I’ve wondered about for 14 years. When you were out with your surgery in 2001, Bernie Fine was named the interim coach. But I looked at the huddles during time outs and Mike Hopkins was in the center, doing all the talking while Bernie was at his normal positon, at the side holding a clipboard. People are going to say that Saturday will be Mike Hopkins coaching debut, but didn’t that really happen 14 years ago?"

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-suspension-syracuse-orange-coach-jim-boeheim

Under the rules of the suspension, Boeheim can't have contact with his team -- no practice, phone calls or travel. He will not even do his contractual TV and radio shows, nor to his knowledge can he even work in his office.

His suspension starts 12:01 Saturday, so this will be the last we hear from JB until after the new year. :(

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-suspension-syracuse-orange-coach-jim-boeheim

Under the rules of the suspension, Boeheim can't have contact with his team -- no practice, phone calls or travel. He will not even do his contractual TV and radio shows, nor to his knowledge can he even work in his office.

His suspension starts 12:01 Saturday, so this will be the last we hear from JB until after the new year. :(
Is the NCAA going to have 24/7 surveillance on JB and tap his phones?
upload_2015-12-3_14-11-18.jpeg

Is the NCAA going to have 24/7 surveillance on JB and tap his phones?
View attachment 54210
It wouldn't surprise me! The "no contact" rule is so vague that it's all too easy to be seen as violating it. JB should take a golf vacation outside the U.S. and be very visible about doing so. Don't give the NCAA illigitimati any grist for their mill.-VBOF

Last edited:
"Coach, Michael Gbinije was initially credited with a three pointer last night. The officials changed that to a two pointer several minutes later, after a number of possessions and at least one dead ball during which they did nothing about it. I would think this could affect the strategy the coaches employ down the stretch of a game, which can be based on the size of a lead. Also, what if there’s no dead ball between a disputed three pointer and the end of a game? If the officials are going to review something like that, shouldn’t it take place immediately?"

You may want to change this question SWC. The shot was never called a three. I saw it in real-time and watched over again. The official never signaled a 3 point shot and in fact gave a very distinctive two fingers hand signal to the scorers table immediately and then seemed to confirm they counted it as a two while running back down court. So while ESPN had the wrong score displayed, I am not sure the scoreboards in the stadium did. If they did, then the scorers table messed it up and it is a valid question, if not, it was just a TV artifact because the ref was extremely clear it was a 2.

It wouldn't surprise me! The "no contact" rule is so vague that it's all to easy to be seen as violating it. JB should take a golf vacation outside the U.S. and be very visible about doing so. Don't give the NCAA illigitimati any grist for their mill.-VBOF

The university should get a Boeheim Signal which they can shine into the night sky each night until he returns.

Does JB get any credit for Hop's wins?

It may be different, but I know Steve Kerr is technically collecting the wins Luke Walton is earning while Steve is out.

He should go on vacation. He's earned it .. with the NCAA fiasco over the past year. He's done all he can. The decisions are now the NCAA's problem. Take a break, JB. Take your family somewhere and enjoy some time off.

From the NCAA Statistics Policies and Guidelines Manual

SUSPENDED COACH If a head coach is suspended for a game or more by the school or conference, he or she is still eligible to receive the wins or losses in his or her absence, but some institutions have chosen to give the record to the interim coach. If a head coach is suspended by the Committee on Infractions, he or she will not receive credit for the wins or losses; those decisions will go toward the interim coach’s record. Other unique circumstances will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. (Updated on 5/1/2014)

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/Policies.pdf

I guess that's that.

He should go on vacation. He's earned it .. with the NCAA fiasco over the past year. He's done all he can. The decisions are now the NCAA's problem. Take a break, JB. Take your family somewhere and enjoy some time off.

Hello Atlantis ... I'd like to get my old room back. :cool:

You may want to change this question SWC. The shot was never called a three. I saw it in real-time and watched over again. The official never signaled a 3 point shot and in fact gave a very distinctive two fingers hand signal to the scorers table immediately and then seemed to confirm they counted it as a two while running back down court. So while ESPN had the wrong score displayed, I am not sure the scoreboards in the stadium did. If they did, then the scorers table messed it up and it is a valid question, if not, it was just a TV artifact because the ref was extremely clear it was a 2.

Matt Park on the radio said that it was called a three but Bo Ryan was asking for it to be reviewed. They agreed it was a two and predicted it would be changed to that but wondered why the refs took so long to change it.

I cannot imagine he's going to be in the mood to do a radio program. On the other hand, maybe it will suit his mood perfectly. Yikes!

May the Force be with you, SWC.

It would probably be easier if his kids were younger. I think they are playing HS sports and doubt he would pull them off the team for an extended period. If I was him I'd go back to Maui with maybe a retired golf buddy or two and have Juli and the kids join them for Christmas, unless Juli wants to go earlier.

Matt Park on the radio said that it was called a three but Bo Ryan was asking for it to be reviewed. They agreed it was a two and predicted it would be changed to that but wondered why the refs took so long to change it.

Official scorer must have screwed it up, the ref on the floor was emphatically clear that it was a 2.

SWC, it was credited as 3 in the dome and the dome score board. After a timeout they said they checked the monitor and changed it to a 2. The score then changed from 53 SU 48 Wisc to 52 SU Wisc 48. It definitely wasn't corrected immediately but only 10 seconds after the shot when Wisconsin called a timeout. There was no scoring in those 10 seconds. I double checked my wacky memory with the play-by- play. http://cuse.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbasket&id=7189

The ref on the baseline didn't tignal two... He made the hand signal to the official book to write down the time to review the shot at the next media time out. I used to do the official book for hoops for a university. That's the way I saw it last night.

The ref on the baseline didn't tignal two... He made the hand signal to the official book to write down the time to review the shot at the next media time out. I used to do the official book for hoops for a university. That's the way I saw it last night.

I saw the same. I questioned the shot when it was first taken so I watched the referees make the calls. They clearly signaled for a 3, but you could also tell they weren't confident about it and Ryan questioned it immediately. They made the signal to the scorers table to note it so it could be reviewed at the next media timeout. There was quite a gap between that shot and the ultimate correction however and I had forgotten about it until they announced the change during the media timeout.

I think the rule is they review it immediately if it happens after the under 4:00 timeout, otherwise they note it and go back and correct it during the next media timeout. It's a good rule as it helps keep the game moving and the 1 point differential doesn't make that much of a difference when there are still a large number of possessions remaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom