My San Diego experience | Syracusefan.com

My San Diego experience

llandz

Living Legend
I'm not going to break down the game. Plenty of that has been done on the game threads. I am going to let you know what it was like to be in San Diego for the game, and the surrounding couple of days.
I arrived late Saturday afternoon, after watchiing the football game in my hotel in Los Angeles. That in itself was quite an experience. Ever try to watch a game in a hotel where you can't scream or jump up and down??
After the game, I drove to San Diego all pumped up from the football game, and looking to find some Syracuse fans to celebrate with. I arrived at my hotel, all wrapped up in my Syracuse world, and the first thing I encountered was hundreds of military personel dressed to the nines in their formal military uniforms along with ladies in an incredible array of gowns. They have been having military balls all week to celebrate veteran's day. All of a sudden, Syracuse seemed small in comparison to the men and women who serve out country, and seeing them all excited about their balls, and having an opportunity to celebrate.
But luckily, I did meet some Syracuse fans in my hotel. And while I was old enough to be their mother, they graciously let me hang out with them, and we had a great time. Because the important thing is that when it comes to Syracuse, we are all just one big family, and age does not matter. Later that night I connected with my friend who is the President of the LA alumni club (I am the Pres. of the AZ alumni club) and got to meet Joyce and some of the SU athletic staff, and coaches wives. Joyce is a super person, and I loved getting to know her this weekend.
Sunday I awoke, a little tired from Saturday night, and got ready with all of my Orange gear. And Orange gear I had. My t shirt, of course, my orange and blue striped blazer, my Orange shoes, and my Orange purse, and my Orange bracelet, from a recent grad who has a jewelry company, 315 and makes jewelry in Syracuse Orange. I guess this will have to be my go to game watching uniform for the rest of the season, since it worked!!! I first went to a pre game party that the San Diego alumni club was hosting. I ran into the one other loyal Phoenix fan who travelled to the game, and met some other interesting people, who travelled from all over the country. My Phoenix friend is a past Otto Orange, and he cheered us all the way to the game.
Playing on the ship was quite impressive. The atmosphere was great, and for the most part the fans were very cordial with one another. It almost seemed disrespectful to the military to be anything but. All of the seats were pretty good. It was chilly, and slightly windy, but so much better than it would have been on Friday or even Saturday. The sun was a factor for both teams. Lucky for me, it was behind my back, so I had no trouble seeing, lol. If you walked around behind the seats you could see right into some of the working parts of the ship. The players really seemed to like being there, and I think the experience was very electrifying for them. It was for all of us. It is a feeling that I think will carry through out the season. The players will maybe play with a little more pride because of their participation in this game.
Most people headed home after the game, but a couple hundred attended an after party that a was once again put together by the San Diego alumni club. I have to say that the San Diego alumni club did quite a job putting together the weekend festivities for the fans.
I just got back to Phoenix, and am exhausted, but will have very sweet dreams tonight on my incredibly fun weekend.

Syracuse seemed small in comparison to the men and women who serve out country, and seeing them all excited about their balls, ".

Not to be a douche, but you said exited about their balls. Hehe.

Anytime I can have a Beavis moment it is a Great post.

Thank you for sharing. Sounds like so much fun !

DNABB, lol, I did. Oh well.
They are called military Balls, didn't mean it to sound like that.

What a crappy post llandz, just kidding of course, thanks for sharing!

I'm not going to break down the game. Plenty of that has been done on the game threads. I am going to let you know what it was like to be in San Diego for the game, and the surrounding couple of days.
I arrived late Saturday afternoon, after watchiing the football game in my hotel in Los Angeles. That in itself was quite an experience. Ever try to watch a game in a hotel where you can't scream or jump up and down??
After the game, I drove to San Diego all pumped up from the football game, and looking to find some Syracuse fans to celebrate with. I arrived at my hotel, all wrapped up in my Syracuse world, and the first thing I encountered was hundreds of military personel dressed to the nines in their formal military uniforms along with ladies in an incredible array of gowns. They have been having military balls all week to celebrate veteran's day. All of a sudden, Syracuse seemed small in comparison to the men and women who serve out country, and seeing them all excited about their balls, and having an opportunity to celebrate.
But luckily, I did meet some Syracuse fans in my hotel. And while I was old enough to be their mother, they graciously let me hang out with them, and we had a great time. Because the important thing is that when it comes to Syracuse, we are all just one big family, and age does not matter. Later that night I connected with my friend who is the President of the LA alumni club (I am the Pres. of the AZ alumni club) and got to meet Joyce and some of the SU athletic staff, and coaches wives. Joyce is a super person, and I loved getting to know her this weekend.
Sunday I awoke, a little tired from Saturday night, and got ready with all of my Orange gear. And Orange gear I had. My t shirt, of course, my orange and blue striped blazer, my Orange shoes, and my Orange purse, and my Orange bracelet, from a recent grad who has a jewelry company, 315 and makes jewelry in Syracuse Orange. I guess this will have to be my go to game watching uniform for the rest of the season, since it worked!!! I first went to a pre game party that the San Diego alumni club was hosting. I ran into the one other loyal Phoenix fan who travelled to the game, and met some other interesting people, who travelled from all over the country. My Phoenix friend is a past Otto Orange, and he cheered us all the way to the game.
Playing on the ship was quite impressive. The atmosphere was great, and for the most part the fans were very cordial with one another. It almost seemed disrespectful to the military to be anything but. All of the seats were pretty good. It was chilly, and slightly windy, but so much better than it would have been on Friday or even Saturday. The sun was a factor for both teams. Lucky for me, it was behind my back, so I had no trouble seeing, lol. If you walked around behind the seats you could see right into some of the working parts of the ship. The players really seemed to like being there, and I think the experience was very electrifying for them. It was for all of us. It is a feeling that I think will carry through out the season. The players will maybe play with a little more pride because of their participation in this game.
Most people headed home after the game, but a couple hundred attended an after party that a was once again put together by the San Diego alumni club. I have to say that the San Diego alumni club did quite a job putting together the weekend festivities for the fans.
I just got back to Phoenix, and am exhausted, but will have very sweet dreams tonight on my incredibly fun weekend.

I had planned to drive down from Santa Cruz (I have friends in Encinitas to stay with) but when the game was moved to Sunday I couldn't go. By California standards, it's not a long drive, only 7.5 hrs, but down and back in a day would have been too much (I had to be back Monday a.m.) and flying there required a bit too much arranging. Still, reading your account made me wish I'd gone. Thanks.

My Phoenix friend is a past Otto Orange, and he cheered us all the way to the game.

I've always wondered what type of people become mascots. Is your friend very zany and eccentric?

Still have scarred knuckles from making contact with a hotel ceiling in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania while celebrating our go-ahead basket in the Notre Dame game in February 2005. Kind of an uncomfortable experience.

Nice write-up; glad you were able to make it out there.

My Otto friend has lots of energy. He also had a booming cheering voice. I also had a friend in NJ who was an Otto. I know they do tryouts and look for energy. Also he is not a very large person. I am sure Otto is a one size costume (yes, he is not real, for those of you wondering) and that is probably a factor also.

. Ever try to watch a game in a hotel where you can't scream or jump up and down??

Fantastic post - sounds like you had a blast, and I must say I'm jealous.

Unfortunate to hear that you had to stay in a hotel for mute dwarves, though. :)

Good lord, another woman posting besides CTO, Cherihoops, and moi?!? PLEASE post more often! I loved your color commentary and I commend you for your fashion sense as well as your awareness that you must don this gear for the rest of the season. It's a small sacrifice, since of course "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." (Spock, not Barack!)

Thanks for the fun write up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom