My take on the 2-3 | Syracusefan.com

My take on the 2-3

Cuse House

All American
I have seen a lot of discussion about the guard play at the top of the zone, which is certainly warranted. I think that the problem is really interior defense. It is partially the guards faults for allowing passes down low, but the interior defense since day 1 has been terrible. JB I think recognized this and told our guards that they need to cheat down more, which equals open shooters and late rotations. When the ball would get into the middle our guards would collapse down. They had too, otherwise Hayes is a capable scorer in the high post. Our centers would come up to play the high post and our forwards would be so late to rotate towards the rim that Happ would get an easy layup, or dunk. I watched the forward rotations over and over, and they were non-existent. With that being said, most teams do not have a Nigel Hayes to put at the free throw line and they also won't shoot 50% plus from three. The sad part about the whole thing is that I saw Lydon and Robey doing just as poorly as Thompson in this area. It was a clinic, throw the ball to the high post, guards and center converge, late rotation and easy layup or kick out for three. Once those rotations become second nature, the guards won't be forced to collapse on the high post and will be able to recover to shooters. Just my take, some may disagree, but when the defense converges on one player, people will be open.

When the ball would get into the middle our guards would collapse down. They had too, otherwise Hayes is a capable scorer in the high post.
You clearly do not understand the laws of FG% and effective FG%. If we have to give up something, the foul-line jumper is a much higher difficulty shot than a layup, and for many teams open 3's are easier than 15' jumpers because the midrange has become a lost art form.

You clearly do not understand the laws of FG% and effective FG%. If we have to give up something, the foul-line jumper is a much higher difficulty shot than a layup, and for many teams open 3's are easier than 15' jumpers because the midrange has become a lost art form.

If we weren't talking about Nigel Hayes, you'd have something of a point. But leaving Nigel Hayes open from the free throw line is a very very bad idea.

I have seen a lot of discussion about the guard play at the top of the zone, which is certainly warranted. I think that the problem is really interior defense. It is partially the guards faults for allowing passes down low, but the interior defense since day 1 has been terrible. JB I think recognized this and told our guards that they need to cheat down more, which equals open shooters and late rotations. When the ball would get into the middle our guards would collapse down. They had too, otherwise Hayes is a capable scorer in the high post. Our centers would come up to play the high post and our forwards would be so late to rotate towards the rim that Happ would get an easy layup, or dunk. I watched the forward rotations over and over, and they were non-existent. With that being said, most teams do not have a Nigel Hayes to put at the free throw line and they also won't shoot 50% plus from three. The sad part about the whole thing is that I saw Lydon and Robey doing just as poorly as Thompson in this area. It was a clinic, throw the ball to the high post, guards and center converge, late rotation and easy layup or kick out for three. Once those rotations become second nature, the guards won't be forced to collapse on the high post and will be able to recover to shooters. Just my take, some may disagree, but when the defense converges on one player, people will be open.

Here's the thing. It's not a 2-3. At times it's a 4-1. Other times it's a 2-2-1. Rarely if ever do we see the actual 2-3.

There are so many ppl out of position I can't tell who is screwing up and who is trying to compensate for someone else screwing up! Lol

There were a couple times yesterday where I couldn't figure out why everyone was where they were at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom