My Take(s) | Syracusefan.com

My Take(s)

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Game 1: Seton Hall

Came down on Amtrak, arrived at Penn Station around 12:40 pm. After checking my bags, I helped a family find their nearby hotel (newbies), stopped by the Blarney and then went to MSG.

The RU ND game was a snoozer, two not really good teams. Was behind the RU bench, which was good because they had few fans there or anywhere else in the building. No fan base for Rutgers.

Mike Rice is normally really animated and much more entertaining and engaging to watch than the RU players, so I was excited to see him in action. Unfortunately, he was not in his game. Very subdued and calm. I suspect after the breakdown he was put under medication, as is normally the case with RU coaches. Too bad RU broke him, he was good once. It will be integrating to see if they will be able to convince someone to replace Rice. Would you like to lose 20 games every season and suffer multiple nervous breakdowns? Then we have just the job for you!

The SU game finally came and the Garden filled up and there was finally a basketball tournament going on.

Yes, I have been sitting with JW. No, we are not really tight; this was a coincidence thing. He is pretty tight with Metro Matress (the Sleep Super Store) dude and they complained to each other a lot in the ugly 1st half, where SHU got off to an excellent start. JW knows the game well, really hates the lack of a killer instinct in RC and most of all, hates it when someone (RC) misses a dunk. We agree he has set a new Syracuse record for missed dunks in a season this year.

I have no idea why SHU played us man to man but it was a godsend. Especially given how weak and off the ball it was. They gave us open outside shots all game long. JS in particular was stellar and kept us in the game in the first half almost by himself. The Pirates tried zone in the second half some but by then the horse was out of the barn, MCW was playing with great confidence and even BT was resurgent. So a nice win to be sure but given the defense and size of SHU, nothing to g overly excited about.

Went to the Wednesday evening session with Newyawker, a very savvy SU hoops fan who mostly lurks on the board. UC played pretty well and beat PC. Nova played against St Johns and beat them in a pretty close game. Lavin was livid for most of the gam, was convinced the refs were out to get his team. Pinkston was good young Sampson, the promising Johnnie frosh forward was not. Might stop him for going pro, so this might be a good break for St Johns for next year. The a johnnies again drew no one. NYC's team indeed.

Thursday opened with an impressive win by Gtown over UC. The Hoyas have been solid defensively all season but the emergence of Smith-Rivera, coupled with the excellent play of Porter and Starks has made Gtown a legit Final Four contender. I will be a little surprised if they do not make it there.

The SU Pitt game was strange one. Pitt opened in man nd it was ripped to shreds almost immediately, led by MCW, who got into the paint to create mayhem lost at will. Trice was solid and JS was again great in the first half.

In the 2nd h.f, Pitt mde ome good adjustments, put more pressure on the ball,really attacked the hop on offense nd crashed the boards with wild abandon, and aided by a series of unforced and disturbing mental mistakes, the Panther almost caught SU, MCW made some big plays down the stretch to ensure the victory.

The evening session featured a UL blowout over Nova, where they looked f ar more athletic and very deep and fast. And a relatively close game between ND and Marquette where the Irish were just too big and strong for MU down the stretch.

Some random thoughts:

UL's dance team drew the most whistles and applause of any of the dance tems. It was not close. They also have the cheerleaders with the best tans. Again not close. Biggest hair too.

I believe the SU cheerleaders rolled out new unis for the BET. Naughty ones...they now have the shortest skirts in the league. JW approves.

Villanova did not have a single tubs in their band. How sad.

RU had decent equipment and size for their band, but only about 50 per cent of them could play. Embarrassing.

Speaking of embarrassing, I want to tell a story about an ND fan and a plastic cup. This dude had too much to drink (and too many hot dogs). He started explaining to his Marquette fan friend that he was in distress and needed help. The MU fan grabbed his camera and proceeded to film the scene. The ND guy proceeded to projectile vomit, grabbing his beer cup to try and restrain the awesome flow. The cup wasn't nearly big enough. Vomit spewed on the back of a fellow ND fn sitting in front of him. And all over the floor too. The Marquette fan, being from Milwaukee, told me, "this would never happen to a Marquette fan",

Or a Syracuse fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Slacker.

Also, tell J-Dub thanks for being awesome.

Came down on Amtrak, arrived at Penn Station around 12:40 pm. After checking my bags, I helped a family find their nearby hotel (newbies), stopped by the Blarney and then went to MSG.

The RU ND game was a snoozer, two not really good teams. Was behind the RU bench, which was good because they had few fans there or anywhere else in the building. No fan base for Rutgers.

Mike Rice is normally really animated and much more entertaining and engaging to watch than the RU players, so I was excited to see him in action. Unfortunately, he was not in his game. Very subdued and calm. I suspect after the breakdown he was put under medication, as is normally the case with RU coaches. Too bad RU broke him, he was good once. It will be integrating to see if they will be able to convince someone to replace Rice. Would you like to lose 20 games every season and suffer multiple nervous breakdowns? Then we have just the job for you!

The SU game finally came and the Garden filled up and there was finally a basketball tournament going on.

Yes, I have been sitting with JW. No, we are not really tight; this was a coincidence thing. He is pretty tight with Metro Matress (the Sleep Super Store) dude and they complained to each other a lot in the ugly 1st half, where SHU got off to an excellent start. JW knows the game well, really hates the lack of a killer instinct in RC and most of all, hates it when someone (RC) misses a dunk. We agree he has set a new Syracuse record for missed dunks in a season this year.

I have no idea why SHU played us man to man but it was a godsend. Especially given how weak and off the ball it was. They gave us open outside shots all game long. JS in particular was stellar and kept us in the game in the first half almost by himself. The Pirates tried zone in the second half some but by then the horse was out of the barn, MCW was playing with great confidence and even BT was resurgent. So a nice win to be sure but given the defense and size of SHU, nothing to g overly excited about.

Went to the Wednesday evening session with Newyawker, a very savvy SU hoops fan who mostly lurks on the board. UC played pretty well and beat PC. Nova played against St Johns and beat them in a pretty close game. Lavin was livid for most of the gam, was convinced the refs were out to get his team. Pinkston was good young Sampson, the promising Johnnie frosh forward was not. Might stop him for going pro, so this might be a good break for St Johns for next year. The a johnnies again drew no one. NYC's team indeed.

Thursday opened with an impressive win by Gtown over UC. The Hoyas have been solid defensively all season but the emergence of Smith-Rivera, coupled with the excellent play of Porter and Starks has made Gtown a legit Final Four contender. I will be a little surprised if they do not make it there.

The SU Pitt game was strange one. Pitt opened in man nd it was ripped to shreds almost immediately, led by MCW, who got into the paint to create mayhem lost at will. Trice was solid and JS was again great in the first half.

In the 2nd h.f, Pitt mde ome good adjustments, put more pressure on the ball,really attacked the hop on offense nd crashed the boards with wild abandon, and aided by a series of unforced and disturbing mental mistakes, the Panther almost caught SU, MCW made some big plays down the stretch to ensure the victory.

The evening session featured a UL blowout over Nova, where they looked f ar more athletic and very deep and fast. And a relatively close game between ND and Marquette where the Irish were just too big and strong for MU down the stretch.

Some random thoughts:

UL's dance team drew the most whistles and applause of any of the dance tems. It was not close. They also have the cheerleaders with the best tans. Again not close. Biggest hair too.

I believe the SU cheerleaders rolled out new unis for the BET. Naughty ones...they now have the shortest skirts in the league. JW approves.

RU had decent equipment and size for their band, but only about 50 per cent of them could play. Embarrassing.

Speaking of embarrassing, I want to tell a story about an ND fan and a plastic cup. This dude had too much to drink (and too many hot dogs). He started explaining to his Marquette fan friend that he was in distress and needed help. The MU fan grabbed his camera and proceeded to film the scene. The ND guy proceeded to projectile vomit, grabbing his beer cup to try and restrain the awesome flow. The cup wasn't nearly big enough. Vomit spewed on the back of a fellow ND fn sitting in front of him. And all over the floor too. The Marquette fan, being from Milwaukee, told me, "this would never happen to a Marquette fan",

Or a Syracuse fan.

Good stuff TC. Were you in shouting distance of the guys who got kicked out of the Louisville game? It looked pretty close to where you were sitting.

The best lines in these take(s) were the unassuming 2 sentences nestled deep within the post:

That made me giggle out loud at work.

Tomcat:
Why'd they throw the fans out? I think they were down and to your right.

Some random thoughts:

Or a Syracuse fan.

Thanks for the update. If you see him tonight, tell Dave, the Metro Matress guy, that Kate from his little league team says "Hi Coach Dave".
Not that it matters but wasn't ND-RU on Wed night and PC-UC before the SU game in the afternoon? It looks like you have the games switched in your review.

are you and Wallace a crime fighting duo??

or more like best buds who said 'lets go to NYC and tear it up!'?? :noidea:

:cool:

timely. i thought you were gonna tell us who shot JR.

You didn't eat? No food critiques? Seriously was looking forward to "your take" and as always wasn't disappointed. You got alot of face time the past few days - I know someone who could do your PR...

You didn't eat? No food critiques? Seriously was looking forward to "your take" and as always wasn't disappointed. You got alot of face time the past few days - I know someone who could do your PR...

I know where he's eating lunch right now.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I know where he's eating lunch right now.

Sent using my Commodore 64
Big brother is always watching

Trying hard to get tickets for my peeps. Will talk food more later.

Big brother is always watching

Trying hard to get tickets for my peeps. Will talk food more later.
This is something Tomcat excels at. It is why I call him the Ticket Master.

So we can expect a new internet video clip: "1 ND fan, 1 cup"...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom