My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Limited time, but here goes:

Holy Cross was not a very good team. They packed their defenders in the paint, allowed SU to shoot from the outside, and hoped they did not have a good shooting night. When that didn't happen, the game was over early.

They actually shot the ball well from the outside in the first half, hitting 5 3s, but only got 8 points in that half form inside the 3 point circle, which is pretty amazing. They looked to be really intimidated in the paint. Shot only 30.9% inside the 3 point circle for the game.

Credit PC for some of that. He played a lot more in the half court setting last night, and looked better defensively there. Had 3 blocks and had an impact on a bunch of other shots. Got in better position and just generally looked more aggressive on the defensive end. SU also had a lot of steals (9) led by Tyus Battle, who looks like he is going to get a lot of these this season. Great anticipation. But the whole team is quick and long and ready to pounce on a lazy pass or a weak dribble.

While PC looked good defensively, he was a non-factor on offense. Played 22 minutes, took no shots, and other than blocks or rebounds, I think he only touched the ball once (he made an excellent kick out pass). Anyway, against a small team, he should be doing more on offense. Has to use his size to present a target down low. Right now, SU plays 4 on 5 on offense when he is in the game. That works against Holy Cross but I don't think it will against good teams.

TL had a strong game. The alarmists in the fan base were finally able to drop from Def Con 1 after he hit 2 of 3 shots from the 3 point circle. Was everything on offense PC was not; was just a man among boys, driving to the hoop when he wanted, taking 3s when he wanted, etc.

AW3 played a great first half. Believe he had 16. Holy Cross hit a bunch of 3s that half and looked like they might make the game interesting but it seemed everytime they hit a 3, AW3 hit one in response. They did guard him up close and he again tried to take advantage by taking the ball hard to the hole when he could. Looked pretty good doing it; making a little awkward and out of his element but he drew a couple of fouls. No question the staff is working with him to expand his game. If he can do this a couple of times a game, it will help, as it serves to keep defenses honest. He incidentally is an excellent FT shooter. I think he is playing a little less at guard on defense every game. It will be interesting to see what happens here the rest of the year.

JG has serious speed, is a wonder at getting his shot off down low and even all by himself ignites the long dormant SU transition game. That is already being taken for granted but I think it is great to see SU running again. Really impressed with his passing, both in transition and in the half court. His assist to turnover ration so far has to be amazing, because he just isn't making bad turnovers.

TB continues to impress on defense (see above). Is also a really good passer and he continues to look good shooting his 3s. Kind of surprised he is not being as aggressive as I thought attacking the hoop in half court settings but he hasn't had much opportunity to do that with every team packing defenders inside. His form on his jumper is a little weird but I like how upright he is when he releases the ball. Not claiming he is the same type player but his jumper reminds me of the form Michael Jordan had when he was in college. It will be interesting to see if it gets tweaked later, at SU or at an NBA city TBD.

Thought FH played really well. Didn't force things, played well defensively, passed it well, ran the offense well. That PG position at SU the rest of the college basketball world is so concerned about looks to be in pretty good hands so far.

TT is great at converting chances when he gets the ball in scoring position. As good as any big we have had in years...and that might even include senior Rak. Didn't rebound as well last night as he is capable of and had a couple of gaffes defensively but he is really advanced offensively for a true frosh big man. Really like him.

TRob again showed signs of an improved offensive game. Hit at least one mid range jumper. Rebounded well, was excellent on defense. He is playing like the senior that he is.

Feel bad for DC3. He is rebounding the ball really well, drawing fouls inside, looks more comfortable than he ever has but isn't getting much playing time. I don't think PC is going to play more than 20 or so minutes a game in the competitive games. Looks like JB is going to play TL around 10 minutes at center, which only leaves around 10 minutes for DC3 to play. It is probably best for the team to have TL playing a lot at center, but I respect DC3's dedication and all the work he has put in to get back and I was hoping he would finish his career with a stronger senior season. So far, it isn't looking that way, even though he is looking better than he has in years.

To my eyes, the chemistry on the team is getting better. The defense is slowly improving. It is hard for me to be objective but I think this is a top 10 team, maybe a top 5 team. Maybe not yet but certainly the potential is there for this to be a really special season.

Right now, SU plays 4 on 5 on offense when he is in the game. That works against Holy Cross but I don't think it will against good teams.

Doesn't this depend on how the four are offensively?

In '03, we basically played 4 on 5 regardless of whether O'Neill or Forth was in the game and in 12, we essentially did the same in '12 with Melo and I thought those were pretty good teams offensively...

Thanks TC. I posted in another thread that I was surprised that they didn't run an out of bounds play to PC or at least try to force it to him down low. Especially when you are up 30.

this team has a ton of scorers, which is good because the D will take time to gel. I've been really impressed with most of the new players like AW3, JG, Battle & TT. Hopefully Chukwu can get comfortable in the middle before the ACC schedule or he is gonna get owned.

Last night we had 5 players make 3's and 4 of them had more than 1 (Frankie was 1-2). Plus we had Coleman and TR hitting mid range jumpers. I can't remember a Cuse offense this explosive since the 86-87 team (F-U Keith Smart). If the D improves, which it should, this team has a shot to join them in the title game.

Doesn't this depend on how the four are offensively?

In '03, we basically played 4 on 5 regardless of whether O'Neill or Forth was in the game and in 12, we essentially did the same in '12 with Melo and I thought those were pretty good teams offensively...
McNeil and Forth averaged 7.1 ppg in 2002-03. Fab averaged 7.8 ppg in 2011-12.

They all tried to get open. When they got the ball, they turned towards the basket and usually attempted to score. Forth helped get others open by setting picks.

I don't see this from PC so far.

If you have a really good defensive player, and the rest of the players are solid offensively, you might be able to get away with having a non-contributor on offense playing quality minutes. But I think we need PC to do more on offense if this team is going to be an elite one.

I admire his work ethic and think he has given us all he had, but there are going to be very limited minutes for DC 2 when the games get tougher.

Good synopsis Tom. I watched a lot of the Duke game last night to try and "couch gauge," where we are against them. Hard to believe they had 3 top 20 projected picks sitting out, and still looked like a great team. They are a true behemoth this year, but the way we have shot the ball, and the guard play we have gotten from JG/FH, has me encouraged. I am concerned about the ability of PC to bang with ACC bigs, so I think DC's time will come. I am most amazed at how overlooked we're getting. Very little talk about our team at all. I hope that motivates the guys. The Wisconsin game will tell us a lot about what we have. Monmouth and SC aren't bad either. Should be a fun few weeks.

They all tried to get open. When they got the ball, they turned towards the basket and usually attempted to score. Forth helped get others open by setting picks.

If you have a really good defensive player, and the rest of the players are solid offensively, you might be able to get away with having a non-contributor on offense playing quality minutes. But I think we need PC to do more on offense if this team is going to be an elite one.
I anticipate PC and DC will average over 7 pts/game this season. This offense reminds me a lot of the '03 and '12 offenses. Ie great talent and ball movement without much low post offense (very few plays called for a center). altho it shoots from outside better than the '12 team. So far...My question is can this years defense get up to the level of the '12 (with Fab) or '13 defense? That will be this teams greatest challenge imo....

Good synopsis Tom. I watched a lot of the Duke game last night to try and "couch gauge," where we are against them. Hard to believe they had 3 top 20 projected picks sitting out, and still looked like a great team. They are a true behemoth this year, but the way we have shot the ball, and the guard play we have gotten from JG/FH, has me encouraged. I am concerned about the ability of PC to bang with ACC bigs, so I think DC's time will come. I am most amazed at how overlooked we're getting. Very little talk about our team at all. I hope that motivates the guys. The Wisconsin game will tell us a lot about what we have. Monmouth and SC aren't bad either. Should be a fun few weeks.

Who on Duke is going to bang down low though? Jefferson? That's the encouraging part about watching Duke, KU. Two really good teams but a true big/strong post player is still a rarity in college. Bryant is probably the best post guy I've watched this year. I worry more about getting hurt on the glass against a Duke or KU than I do about one of their guys killing us on post moves.

You know my son this morning said: impressive duke almost won with 3 of their top players injured.
I said: they had 5 McD all americans in lineup last night and they still lost to a team that lost to IU. I am not overly impressed

Lets see if those freshmen come back 90-100%. But even if they dont k has plenty of talent to get it done. No excuses imo

Liked your write-up but if PC plays 20 minutes a game during ACC play, we are in trouble. He may improve some, but we need more than his size at the 5. DC does look to be the unfortunate player at his position.

I wouldn't be surprised to see TT have minutes at the 5 when we get well into the season. I agree he is every bit as advanced for a freshman big man as we have seen since ???

TL will end up having the bulk of the 5 minutes unless their are dramatic improvements from others.

Ditto. It's a joke.

Two stats that I am absolutely loving from this team through two games, albeit against cupcakes, are the 50+% FG and 20+ apg. And we've had assists from 7 of our 9 rotation players in each of these two games so far. Impressive stuff.

Two stats that I am absolutely loving from this team through two games, albeit against cupcakes, are the 50+% FG and 20+ apg. And we've had assists from 7 of our 9 rotation players in each of these two games so far. Impressive stuff.

Yes -- getting points in transition, the speed of Gillon & Battle, getting good shots in half court early in the clock, the assists for easy finishes. More easy shots overall. Better inside balance with improvements in the inside play of Roberson & Lydon, and the addition of Thompson.

The team is not scrambling at the end of a shot clock, trying to find a shooter, curling off a screen, forcing something. Refreshing.

Limited time, but here goes:

Holy Cross was not a very good team. They packed their defenders in the paint, allowed SU to shoot from the outside, and hoped they did not have a good shooting night. When that didn't happen, the game was over early.

They actually shot the ball well from the outside in the first half, hitting 5 3s, but only got 8 points in that half form inside the 3 point circle, which is pretty amazing. They looked to be really intimidated in the paint. Shot only 30.9% inside the 3 point circle for the game.

Credit PC for some of that. He played a lot more in the half court setting last night, and looked better defensively there. Had 3 blocks and had an impact on a bunch of other shots. Got in better position and just generally looked more aggressive on the defensive end. SU also had a lot of steals (9) led by Tyus Battle, who looks like he is going to get a lot of these this season. Great anticipation. But the whole team is quick and long and ready to pounce on a lazy pass or a weak dribble.

While PC looked good defensively, he was a non-factor on offense. Played 22 minutes, took no shots, and other than blocks or rebounds, I think he only touched the ball once (he made an excellent kick out pass). Anyway, against a small team, he should be doing more on offense. Has to use his size to present a target down low. Right now, SU plays 4 on 5 on offense when he is in the game. That works against Holy Cross but I don't think it will against good teams.

TL had a strong game. The alarmists in the fan base were finally able to drop from Def Con 1 after he hit 2 of 3 shots from the 3 point circle. Was everything on offense PC was not; was just a man among boys, driving to the hoop when he wanted, taking 3s when he wanted, etc.

AW3 played a great first half. Believe he had 16. Holy Cross hit a bunch of 3s that half and looked like they might make the game interesting but it seemed everytime they hit a 3, AW3 hit one in response. They did guard him up close and he again tried to take advantage by taking the ball hard to the hole when he could. Looked pretty good doing it; making a little awkward and out of his element but he drew a couple of fouls. No question the staff is working with him to expand his game. If he can do this a couple of times a game, it will help, as it serves to keep defenses honest. He incidentally is an excellent FT shooter. I think he is playing a little less at guard on defense every game. It will be interesting to see what happens here the rest of the year.

JG has serious speed, is a wonder at getting his shot off down low and even all by himself ignites the long dormant SU transition game. That is already being taken for granted but I think it is great to see SU running again. Really impressed with his passing, both in transition and in the half court. His assist to turnover ration so far has to be amazing, because he just isn't making bad turnovers.

TB continues to impress on defense (see above). Is also a really good passer and he continues to look good shooting his 3s. Kind of surprised he is not being as aggressive as I thought attacking the hoop in half court settings but he hasn't had much opportunity to do that with every team packing defenders inside. His form on his jumper is a little weird but I like how upright he is when he releases the ball. Not claiming he is the same type player but his jumper reminds me of the form Michael Jordan had when he was in college. It will be interesting to see if it gets tweaked later, at SU or at an NBA city TBD.

Thought FH played really well. Didn't force things, played well defensively, passed it well, ran the offense well. That PG position at SU the rest of the college basketball world is so concerned about looks to be in pretty good hands so far.

TT is great at converting chances when he gets the ball in scoring position. As good as any big we have had in years...and that might even include senior Rak. Didn't rebound as well last night as he is capable of and had a couple of gaffes defensively but he is really advanced offensively for a true frosh big man. Really like him.

TRob again showed signs of an improved offensive game. Hit at least one mid range jumper. Rebounded well, was excellent on defense. He is playing like the senior that he is.

Feel bad for DC3. He is rebounding the ball really well, drawing fouls inside, looks more comfortable than he ever has but isn't getting much playing time. I don't think PC is going to play more than 20 or so minutes a game in the competitive games. Looks like JB is going to play TL around 10 minutes at center, which only leaves around 10 minutes for DC3 to play. It is probably best for the team to have TL playing a lot at center, but I respect DC3's dedication and all the work he has put in to get back and I was hoping he would finish his career with a stronger senior season. So far, it isn't looking that way, even though he is looking better than he has in years.

To my eyes, the chemistry on the team is getting better. The defense is slowly improving. It is hard for me to be objective but I think this is a top 10 team, maybe a top 5 team. Maybe not yet but certainly the potential is there for this to be a really special season.

Don't have a lot of time so this will be quick:

Thanks.

Most of McForth's and Melo's points were on put-backs: we didn't run plays for them. You have to count points we get that originated on the defensive end with a shot-blocking center as part of his offense. What I haven't seen is blocks, steals or defensive rebounds, (or Melo's charging calls) that lead to baskets on the other in. PC slaps the ball around but we don't always wind up with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom