My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Collins was really impressive. Hope he goes to an NBA team after this season. Do not look forward to playing against him again. But when he gets the ball, we have to double him every time. 8 assists all season long? He is the ultimate black hole. Bad scouting to leave him in single coverage so often.

Seminal moment in the career of Taurean Thompson. Last night was the first time I saw he actually show an interest in playing defense. Still had some breakdowns but he was far more active that normal. Was willing to bang bodies, challenge shooters and contest shots. I hope it wasn't a one-time thing.

Wake played man all game long, even when it was getting brutally abused in the second half. Manning put Collins on Lydon and Mitoglou on Thompson, which I thought was controversial. JB put Lydon away from the basket, up near the high post, which drew Collins, their only shot blocker and by far their best interior defender, away from the basket. That left Thompson alone with Mitoglou, who was too slow to cover him. Disastrous matchups for the Deacons. Collins caused major problems for us inside in the first half defensively.

DC2 got in early when TT was ineffective and TR got in early foul trouble. His stats don't show it but he made 3 nice plays in succession on defense to force turnovers to get SU back in the game.

Howard had another inexplicable unforced turnover but really helped us on the boards when he was in, and had a couple nice passes too. If he could just be a little more precise passing the ball and avoid passing the ball blindly so often, it would really help him.

JG had another sleepwalk first half but played well in the second and that dramatic turnaround was one of the keys to the victory. I don't know what motivates him, why he is so inconsistent but we need him to play well to beat good teams.

AW needs good ball movement to get good looks. We finally got it in the second half. He is doing a good job driving hard to the basket to get free throws too, which helps us on offense and helped get the Deacons into foul trouble too.

Every time Lydon touched the ball in the paint he was doubled. Sometimes tripled. He has come a long way with his ability to find the open man in these situations. Made a couple really clutch 3s and somehow found a way to get those last FTs to fall. He hasn't done this much so far in his career here and it is an important step forward for him. With TRob in constant foul trouble, he is often alone under the boards and did a great job battling there. His interior defense was good too. Great hustle on the play where he dribbled too much and got the ball stolen, where he followed the Wake guard and deflected his layup off the backboard.

Battle continues to play great defense and I think it helps inspire the rest of the team to play harder on that end. So nice to see this team actually get some stops in situations when they absolutely have to make stops down the stretch. Even without TRob in. It is also nice to have someone on the team who can consistently finish on the fast break. Thanks Tyus.

I just want this team to finish with a winning record. At 12-9, if they finish the last 10 games of the regular season 4-6 and lose in the first round of the ACC tournament, they will finish 16-16. I think they need to sweep G Tech, beat Pitt at Pitt and steal another win somewhere, mostly likely at Clemson.

And then win a game in the ACC tournament. If they finish 8-10 in conference play, they will probably finish in the 10-11 place range. FSU went 8-10 last year, was the 11 seed and played 14 seed BC in the first round. We could well play Pitt or Clemson.

Let's finish strong. There is still plenty to play for.

Huge gamble sending Thompson in when Roberson got his fourth. He immediately gave up four points, but showed a lot more interest in defending, was aggressive (to the point of fouling to deny an entry pass), and more than made up for his defense with his buckets down the stretch.

That's the kind of semi-lucky play that makes Boeheim look great, but I think he did a good job with personnel and in mixing in the press in three separate stretches. Again he was fired up and seemed more happy than usual to get this win.

That was a satisfying one - good coaching, multiple kids making winning plays, and beating a team that played pretty well. (Though it's nice that Mitoglu finally had a bad game in the Dome; he could have put them over the top.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom