My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
With the possible exception of the title game he won, I don't remember JB as emotional after a game as this one. Looked like he really wanted to get it at home, in front of a huge crowd, on national tv against a top ten team with a great coach. You know that somewhere, some sick people from the NCAA with axes to grind were having tough days. Really glad it worked out like it did instead of say, in a road game on the regional ACC network stations against a bad Clemson team.

The only bad thing was that his best friend in coaching, Coach K, picked the same day to come back. Oh well.

Thought the crowd was great and that this was one of those games where it almost willed the team to get the win. They wanted it just as badly as JB did.

The games vs UVa are interesting to watch in part because the style of play for the teams is so different. UVa is perhaps the most patient team on offense in the country. They methodically work the ball around the perimeter, rotate players to the low and high posts and really make a defense work to get a good stop. On defense, they are the anti-NC State, hyper aggressive hedging on screens, contesting the middle doubling the ball late, great fundamentals in their man defense.

Nice adjustment spending the court and going to ISO in the second half. I think this is what we normally do late in games; it is almost unheard of to run it for a whole half. But UVa took the high screen offense away and it was clear it was never going to work. Further, this group of players is really well suited to playing ISO. You have to respect the shooters and play on the perimeter and that leaves the paint very vulnerable. Especially if you have an advantage athletically at just about every position.

Thought then that UVa got exposed some for their lack of athletic ability on the defensive side. But it happened on offense too. UVa had lots of chances to convert layoffs/dunks down low when they broke our zone but they didn't have a guy like Gill last year that could consistently finish. Salt in particular killed them with his awful play on offense. Maybe he was intimidated when TT broke his teeth early in the game, but he literally could not make a shot most of the game.

Other thoughts:

AW3 made a lot of tough shots where he scored off the dribble, with a hand in his face. They tried to cover him with Perrantes most of the game and London was just too small and weak to do it. Also, a bunch of the weak side help plays that kept blocking UVa's weak attempts to finish down low were from White. TRob might be the best we have had at this, he was great here too. Anyway, I think AW's NBA stock rose some today.

Man Bun on Gillon? Jerome on Battle? Really? The Cavaliers had no chance with those kinds of matchups. But Bennett had no choice because the other guys he had just can't score against the 2-3.

As good as TB was on offense, he was better on defense, where his inspired play brought the zone to another level. Wow.

This was not a case of a freak good shooting day, or a lot if bad calls or a string of bad luck for Virginia. SU was clearly the better team and if they match up again, Syracuse will win again. I wonder if there is a rematch, will Syracuse even bother running the normal high offense? I think not.

The only conference in the country this year where a team could play like Syracuse did to early January and still have a chance to earn a ticket to MM in the regular season is the ACC. Thank God we are where we are.

Haven't watched the TV replay yet but was wondering how they addressed 1000*. Did JAB get his due. Social media and the websites have seem to do a good job with it. I think JAB was quite happy with the circumstances and not to let it linger.

Haven't watched the TV replay yet but was wondering how they addressed 1000*. Did JAB get his due. Social media and the websites have seem to do a good job with it. I think JAB was quite happy with the circumstances and not to let it linger.

Andy Katz did speak up for JB several times. Saying it was wrong and silly for the NCAA to claim those wins didn't happen.

They talked a bit about it at halftime - as Houston mentioned Katz had much the same take as Bilas, etc...

I think Hart (color guy), mentioned it at the end once while Roberson was shooting free throws. It was a quick reference though.

They talked a bit about it at halftime - as Houston mentioned Katz had much the same take as Bilas, etc...

I think Hart (color guy), mentioned it at the end once while Roberson was shooting free throws. It was a quick reference though.
They asked JB about the 1000 during his court side after game interview. He responded, even saying 1000. Now NCAA said the school, JB or the crowd was suppose to celebrate the 1000th win. Can JB get sanctioned for mentioning it?

With the possible exception of the title game he won, I don't remember JB as emotional after a game as this one. Looked like he really wanted to get it at home, in front of a huge crowd, on national tv against a top ten team with a great coach. You know that somewhere, some sick people from the NCAA with axes to grind were having tough days. Really glad it worked out like it did instead of say, in a road game on the regional ACC network stations against a bad Clemson team.

I hadn't thought about how meaningful the 1000th win was coming against a guy who JB considers to be one of the top coaches in the game and under the other circumstances you mention. Really great points by you!

I am not typically a big fan of court storming. Especially twice in 8 days. But, if ever there was a great time for a court storming it was yesterday. It gave JB, the University, the fans and all involved a way to mark the 1000th win without actually expressly acknowledging it.

Did we storm the court because we had a big win against UVA or did we storm the court in honor of the 1000thwin that can't be acknowledged?

Well, I don't know, and probably either does anyone else.

But it still created a great back drop to the JB on court interview and contributed to an electricity that seemed to have JB absolutely pumped. I was happy to see it yesterday!!

Last edited:
On the refs: Hard to tell from up in 311 but I thought we got some breaks in the 2nd half.

They didn't focus on any single call too much on ESPN, but from my couch, it looked like we did.

Bennett was in a tough spot. Instead of focusing on stops on D and putting in Shayok/Hall he went with the shooters and was willing to take the hit on D and it was big for us. I'm not so sure that UVA wouldn't have been better off going with their Defensive lineup down the stretch. Granted Guy hit some big shots, but he had no chance on defense. Hall hit some 3's and is much better defensively. It was an interesting choice by Bennett - it almost felt like a "we are going to haveto outscore them" move.

I hadn't thought about how meaningful the 1000th win was coming against a guy who JB considers to be one of the top coaches in the game and under the other circumstances you mention. Really great points by you!

I am not typically a big fan of court storming. Especially twice in 8 days. But, if ever there was a great time for a court storming it was yesterday. It gave the JB, the University, the fans and all involved a way to mark the 1000th win without actually expressly acknowledging it.

Did we storm the court because we had a big win against UVA or did we storm the court in honor of the 1000thwin that can't be acknowledged?

Well, I don't know, and probably either does anyone else.

But it still created a great back drop to the JB on court interview and contributed to an electricity that seemed to have JB absolutely pumped. I was happy to see it yesterday!!
It was more of a "surge" rather than a "storm." And it couldn't have been more perfect!

They asked JB about the 1000 during his court side after game interview. He responded, even saying 1000. Now NCAA said the school, JB or the crowd was suppose to celebrate the 1000th win. Can JB get sanctioned for mentioning it?

He said something like, "We may not have 1,000 wins in the record books, but we've won 1,000 games." Don't see any problem there. He can't pretend they didn't happen.

He said something like, "We may not have 1,000 wins in the record books, but we've won 1,000 games." Don't see any problem there. He can't pretend they didn't happen.
But that is what the NCAA wants as an official report, Like those 101 wins didn't happen. (Despite each of those team still have it as a lose!)

But that is what the NCAA wants as an official report, Like those 101 wins didn't happen. (Despite each of those team still have it as a lose!)

Eh, it's all a game. They got to rub his face in it for being a multiple-time offender, SU didn't go out of its way to flout the official sanctioning, Boeheim had fun on Saturday, and at some point the NCAA will restore the wins and everyone will be happy.

The man bun kid is going to regret his hair decisions in 20 years.

The man bun kid is going to regret his hair decisions in 20 years.
I would hope so. Looked like a middle aged woman shopping at 10 PM on a Friday night.

Not many D1 athletes like to preen as much as Guy.

You would think the UVa kids would have learned to hold off on the flamboyant gestures to the crowd until after the outcome of the game has been determined.

Also, I think London might someday regret his tribute to the the 1980/1990s high fade. He is a very good player but looking like a clown makes it hard to take him seriously. Way to throw your teammates under the bus after the loss LP.

I would hope so. Looked like a middle aged woman shopping at 10 PM on a Friday night.

You would think the UVa kids would have learned to hold off on the flamboyant gestures to the crowd until after the outcome of the game has been determined.

Also, I think London might someday regret his tribute to the the 1980/1990s high fade. He is a very good player but looking like a clown makes it hard to take him seriously. Way to throw your teammates under the bus after the loss LP.
2CFD5F6900000578-3257656-image-a-1_1443796275254.jpg

Because no one on this board has ever looked at their college photos with horror!

Hart talked about JB's teams giving other teams 999 losses from the start of the game. I was shocked they were going to bring that up from the beginning, considering ESPN hardly ever speaks out against the Overlord.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom