My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
This was a really small crowd. Lots of people opted not to go and the student section was as empty for a regular season game as I have ever seen in the history of the Dome (when school is in session). They did make noise when the team made some good stands on defense late so all was not bad.

Iona mostly played SU using s 2-3 zone. I think the hope was Syracuse would settle for semi-contested 3 point shots most of the time and try to beat them in a 3 point shooting contest. But SU was able to get the ball inside in a variety of ways, from slashes by TB, FH and GT to a few passes to the low post, mostly to PC, to a bunch of iffensive rebounds.

PC got a ton of rebounds early. I believe he had 10 in the first half. First time I have seen him rebound like that. Unfortunately, it didn't continue in the second half. Also unfortunate that while he probably got the ball down low near the basket 10 times in the first half, he didn't even take a shot, or look at the basket 8 of those times. Still, he continues to make strides and continues to look vastly improved from last season. BS played less than PC and was not as effective. Think that was a first for this season. Still played okay but got burned loafing down the court a couple of times when his man beat him down the court for easy baskets. Still didn't play badly. The combined production from the big guys was excellent.

FH again shot it well from outside, again was good defensively, again was in me first score mode, again had a couple of bad turnovers. But it looked to me as though JB switched roles for Frank and Tyus at some point, where Tyus became the primary ball handler and Frank played off the ball on a wing, where I think he is better suited to contribute to this team.

TB was the best player on the court. Iona showed a lot of heart and veteran savviness. SU would get up by aboutv8band look like they were going to break the game open and bam! The Gaels would get a transition basket, a long 3 and hit a co7o,e FTs and get back to 1 or 2l then Tyus would make a couple great plays to get the lead back to about 8. Great game for him, and he also made plays on defense and passing it too. Impressive. Great leadership.

GT looked pretty good out there. Made a nice scoop shot in the paint, handled the ball well... But he didn't look to score much and continues to look tentative out there. Right now the offense doesn't seem to run well when he is in. He didn't play badly but I think he looks more time to find his role on the team.

MM got some rebounds but wasn't part of the offense. Teams don't have to cover him and Iona didn't. He has to get more aggressive here. He is okay on D but doesn't cover ground like the other forwards on the team.

OB played pretty well on offense, and reasonably well on defense too. He played almost exclusively on the perimeter though against a small team and when he tried, he struggled trying to take it inside. All that time on the perimeter kept his rebounds down.

We have talked about the challenges this team faces on offense. PC, MM and MD have rarely scored or even tried to score, and when you have 3 players in the rotation that are not threats to score, you have serious problems on offense. GT is close to being added to this list right now too...

Tonight, MD got his first heavy minutes in crunch time. The reason is surely because he is one of the best defenders on the team, and all things being equal, JB tends to play his best defenders. But MD did more than play defense. He got rebounds, when he got the ball near the basket, he attacked it and he hustled and scrapped all over the court. He is skinny, pretty weak right now and gets the ball knocked out of his hands quite easily, and doesn't have much in the way of moves or outside shooting. But he gets a lot if steals, makes good passes and his uber high BB IQ makes him someone we like to see out there on the court. Tonight might have been kind of a coming out party for him if it turns out he has moved into heavy rotation at the forward position.

For today anyway, he took minutes from MM and GT. It will be interesting to see how playing time gets split at the forward position the rest of the season. While JB has a reputation as an offensive wizard, he generally prefers to play guys who play the best defense, which bodes well for young MD.

I think Iona is a flawed, small team who is good, not great. But they are a veteran team who knows how to play and they will have a good season and likely play in the NCAA tournament again. This was a good win.

Geno looked pretty good out there??? Yikes...

I’m thinking Geno is still not 100%. Probably needs another two weeks of treatment and rest as possible. But as someone pointed out he looks like he understands how to play in the zone which is something our two grad transfers last year never really achieved.

The offense will come as he heals. He’s a proven D1 scorer, but he will still be the third or fourth option.

I’m thinking Geno is still not 100%. Probably needs another two weeks of treatment and rest as possible. But as someone pointed out he looks like he understands how to play in the zone which is something our two grad transfers last year never really achieved.

The offense will come as he heals. He’s a proven D1 scorer, but he will still be the third or fourth option.

I think the lost practice time slowed his adjustment to a new team and a new system. Hopefully his talents will emerge as the season progresses.

I was not able to go to the game last night, which like to killed me. My daughter kept texting me that she was stressed. When I got home, I watched the game using WAtCHESPN app and it worked perfectly! Allowed me log in and away I went. I have no clue why that happened, when this weekend it wouldn’t work at all.

I liked what I saw from Chukwu. That was interesting! Yes, why can’t he turn around and shoot? I love Sidibe, so was sorry to see his game was not up to its usual level. Battle was stellar. He got hot and the team deferred. Why not? I believe other players will also have hot games. Oshae prime suspect for this, and Frank as well. They all went for rebounds and looked pretty damn lively. They didn’t lose their cool like I did while watching the replay. And I knew the outcome!

We all know we’re going to lose, but we’re not losing yet so GO TEAM GO! I like these guys. But will I like them tomorrow?

I was not able to go to the game last night, which like to killed me. My daughter kept texting me that she was stressed. When I got home, I watched the game using WAtCHESPN app and it worked perfectly! Allowed me log in and away I went. I have no clue why that happened, when this weekend it wouldn’t work at all.

I liked what I saw from Chukwu. That was interesting! Yes, why can’t he turn around and shoot? I love Sidibe, so was sorry to see his game was not up to its usual level. Battle was stellar. He got hot and the team deferred. Why not? I believe other players will also have hot games. Oshae prime suspect for this, and Frank as well. They all went for rebounds and looked pretty damn lively. They didn’t lose their cool like I did while watching the replay. And I knew the outcome!

We all know we’re going to lose, but we’re not losing yet so GO TEAM GO! I like these guys. But will I like them tomorrow?

I've always said that if we have 1-2 guys playing well, we likely lose. If it's 3-4 guys we likely win. If it's more than that, we'll blow their doors off. This team has 9 guys who could have a good game so the odds that we'll get those 3-4 guys playing well are better than when the rotation is 6-7 guys.

My thoughts exactly. At one point he got an offensive rebound right off the side of the rim. I feel like he should have been able to catch and lay that in on the same "jump", but instead he brought it to the floor, still right under the rim(not even really guarded all that close), and then dished it out. I was very puzzled!

I thought both Battle & Howard had amazing games & played very smoothly together. Iona is small so both our centers were dominating on the boards & played well. Foreign Dude was hustling his ass off & flying around like he was on a caffeine high!
I thought Moyer & Thorpe looked totally lost on offense & didn’t know what to do with the ball

The OP nailed it on FH. He can bring it up, but so can TB. And Frank is more comfortable off the ball. His range has improved, and I was impressed that he could get to the rim against a veteran team with smallish but very quick guards.

The offensive problems emerging are: GT not being ready for prime time (yet); MM with zero points in 18 minutes. I like his rebounding and scrap. But we need points from someone not named Brissett, Battle or Howard.

Last edited:
If I was 5-9 and the hoop was 6 feet, i'd dunk it every time, too. :mad:

Actually, I am 5-9. Got any 6 foot hoops?
I'm 5'10" and played a lengthy game with friends on an 8' rim once. I dunked everytime I touched the ball. I felt like Dominique Wilkins in his prime.

tyus sat out a good chunk of the 1st half. not much from geno 2nd half. mickey dolenz the monkeydrummer aka the slovakian kraken won the crowd over with his effort last night (like some other past "foreign dude" cough kongo) this crowd rewards effort.
oshae pretty quiet and frank showing us the good bad and ugly. but mostly good.
JB pretty composed in the presser. a bit whiny at the halftime gig methinks.

Last edited:
Geno was bad in this one. I'm not sure what he did that was pretty good. I hope his ankle is bothering him so we have a reason otherwise I don't know what to say. Looks like Howard Washington is odd man out. I really don't get it. We need shooting. He can shoot. We need another point guard and Geno has been subpar. JB gonna JB.

Matt looks like he's playing on offense wearing ankle weights. I don't know if he has no confidence in his handle but he doesn't dribble productively.

OB was okay but he needs to hit the glass like he did in game 1. His d is just okay. Could use his length and athletic ability on that end.

Sidibe had an off night.

Last edited:
Oshae needs to find a mid range and around the basket groove. Too many threes and quite frankly there were many times I forgot he was on the floor. It happens with Moyer too and it's not a compliment. Activity usually results in positive results.

This was a really small crowd. Lots of people opted not to go and the student section was as empty for a regular season game as I have ever seen in the history of the Dome (when school is in session). They did make noise when the team made some good stands on defense late so all was not bad.

Iona mostly played SU using s 2-3 zone. I think the hope was Syracuse would settle for semi-contested 3 point shots most of the time and try to beat them in a 3 point shooting contest. But SU was able to get the ball inside in a variety of ways, from slashes by TB, FH and GT to a few passes to the low post, mostly to PC, to a bunch of iffensive rebounds.

PC got a ton of rebounds early. I believe he had 10 in the first half. First time I have seen him rebound like that. Unfortunately, it didn't continue in the second half. Also unfortunate that while he probably got the ball down low near the basket 10 times in the first half, he didn't even take a shot, or look at the basket 8 of those times. Still, he continues to make strides and continues to look vastly improved from last season. BS played less than PC and was not as effective. Think that was a first for this season. Still played okay but got burned loafing down the court a couple of times when his man beat him down the court for easy baskets. Still didn't play badly. The combined production from the big guys was excellent.

FH again shot it well from outside, again was good defensively, again was in me first score mode, again had a couple of bad turnovers. But it looked to me as though JB switched roles for Frank and Tyus at some point, where Tyus became the primary ball handler and Frank played off the ball on a wing, where I think he is better suited to contribute to this team.

TB was the best player on the court. Iona showed a lot of heart and veteran savviness. SU would get up by aboutv8band look like they were going to break the game open and bam! The Gaels would get a transition basket, a long 3 and hit a co7o,e FTs and get back to 1 or 2l then Tyus would make a couple great plays to get the lead back to about 8. Great game for him, and he also made plays on defense and passing it too. Impressive. Great leadership.

GT looked pretty good out there. Made a nice scoop shot in the paint, handled the ball well... But he didn't look to score much and continues to look tentative out there. Right now the offense doesn't seem to run well when he is in. He didn't play badly but I think he looks more time to find his role on the team.

MM got some rebounds but wasn't part of the offense. Teams don't have to cover him and Iona didn't. He has to get more aggressive here. He is okay on D but doesn't cover ground like the other forwards on the team.

OB played pretty well on offense, and reasonably well on defense too. He played almost exclusively on the perimeter though against a small team and when he tried, he struggled trying to take it inside. All that time on the perimeter kept his rebounds down.

We have talked about the challenges this team faces on offense. PC, MM and MD have rarely scored or even tried to score, and when you have 3 players in the rotation that are not threats to score, you have serious problems on offense. GT is close to being added to this list right now too...

Tonight, MD got his first heavy minutes in crunch time. The reason is surely because he is one of the best defenders on the team, and all things being equal, JB tends to play his best defenders. But MD did more than play defense. He got rebounds, when he got the ball near the basket, he attacked it and he hustled and scrapped all over the court. He is skinny, pretty weak right now and gets the ball knocked out of his hands quite easily, and doesn't have much in the way of moves or outside shooting. But he gets a lot if steals, makes good passes and his uber high BB IQ makes him someone we like to see out there on the court. Tonight might have been kind of a coming out party for him if it turns out he has moved into heavy rotation at the forward position.

For today anyway, he took minutes from MM and GT. It will be interesting to see how playing time gets split at the forward position the rest of the season. While JB has a reputation as an offensive wizard, he generally prefers to play guys who play the best defense, which bodes well for young MD.

I think Iona is a flawed, small team who is good, not great. But they are a veteran team who knows how to play and they will have a good season and likely play in the NCAA tournament again. This was a good win.
JB disagrees with you abiut Geno. Said he didn't play much because he didn't play well. When he plays better, he'll play more.

JB disagrees with you abiut Geno. Said he didn't play much because he didn't play well. When he plays better, he'll play more.

Maybe he didn't play well because of his injury and/or the lack of practice. The two statements do not contradict each other.

I thought Geno played decently. The bashing of him is, IMHO, somewhat overblown. As others have said, he is not 100%, he is still finding out how he fits on this team and is not where he will be in a few weeks.

His problem that night was more how well Tyus and Frank played than how poorly he played. When those two are that solid on offense and defense, there isn't going to be a lot of additional playing time for him. Especially not when 2 of the forwards were also playing relatively well (Oshea and Marek).

When one or both of the forwards struggle, JB has the option of playing a 3 guard lineup. We will surely see this happen a lot this year.

I think people overreact a lot based on what happens in a game or two. If GT is healthy, I believe he is going to play a lot and be one of our best players. He can score and play defense, he shoot from the outside and run the offense at the point. That makes him a really useful player.

Maybe he didn't play well because of his injury and/or the lack of practice. The two statements do not contradict each other.
JB saying he didn't play well really does contradict what you said, that Geno looked good. JB did not think so. When asked if Geno didn't play because injury, JB replied that he was in there but he didn't play well and when he plays better, he'll play more. In my mind, I took that to mean that JB believed that Geno's poor play was not injury related. If that is really due to lack of practice or recovery is not the point. Again, it maybe another case of taking some time to adjust to SU "way of playing". Like last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom