My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

We were, what, 3/13 on 3rd down? Something like that
I’m happy to be 3-0 and I know we won, but oddly it feels like we lost last night instead of winning. I think it is because games like yesterday we are usually on the other side of.

I’m happy to be 3-0 and I know we won, but oddly it feels like we lost last night instead of winning. I think it is because games like yesterday we are usually on the other side of.
There’s the flip side,though. We were outplayed for most of the game but by the same token, the Boilers didn’t convert a lot of that into actual scoring. Kind of like a lot of fast breaks in basketball but then blowing the layup.

If you scripted that ending, nobody would believe it. Can you imagine the reaction of our fans if we blew a game due to that lack of discipline? Chatted with a few Purdue fans on the way to the car and they said that losing games that way is a longtime problem for them.

The best metaphor I could think of is a basketball team has a one point lead very late in the game. Then they foul an opposing player 30 feet from the basket with almost no time left and the other team in the bonus. That player makes both ends of the one and one PLUS the team that fouled puts the cherry on top by inexplicably jumping up and hanging on the rim for no reason, drawing a T.

Purdue opened the door, actually they let the door hang from the hinges, and Garrett and the guys plowed through with a Syracuse January-style snowplow. Fans will be talking about this one for a very long time.

I thought Gadsen's hesitation after he caught the ball on his first touchdown was brilliant.

On the flip side, I was annoyed that a third of the Cuse players had a white undershirt hanging down their pants, a third had a black undershirt hanging down their pants, and a third had their shirts tucked in - not a good team look.

Thought the big 10 officials played a huge role in the game. Mostly favoring Purdue for most of the game, and then calling it straight late to keep Syracuse in the game. late.

I don't think those Big 10 refs were ever favoring Purdue.

Mayyyyybe by not reviewing that 3rd down catch in time, but Purdue rushed to the line for the 4th down ( to their own peril.)

I don't think those Big 10 refs were ever favoring Purdue.

Mayyyyybe by not reviewing that 3rd down catch in time, but Purdue rushed to the line for the 4th down ( to their own peril.)
Agree with both points.

I thought Gadsen's hesitation after he caught the ball on his first touchdown was brilliant.

On the flip side, I was annoyed that a third of the Cuse players had a white undershirt hanging down their pants, a third had a black undershirt hanging down their pants, and a third had their shirts tucked in - not a good team look.
Wow! Really! That's trivial, and that's giving it more credence than it deserves.
You must hate that JB let's kids wear different sneakers.

Your auto-correct had a field day on this paragraph.
Oops. Didn’t realize I posted that. Long day, relying on auto dictate and suspect editing skills. Sorry.

After watching the game again several times, I think our perspective on the game isn't quite accurate. While Purdue had many big plays in the late 3rd and 4th quarters, SU's defense stopped them numerous times all game long. The pick six won the game. SU won the turnover game and dramatically.

Late in the 2nd quarter, Purdue had 13 first downs and SU had 6. After that point, SU won that game 17 first downs to 12. Defenses won the day until the 4th quarter.

SU's special teams were also better on the day. The punter was solid, we blocked a kick, and Szymt kicked a 50 yard field goal. There was much to like.

SU may have seemed to be losing the line battles, but SU led much of the game: 3-0, 10-9, 18-15, 25-15, 25-22, and finally 32-29. Shrader, Anae, et al. had answers every time Purdue went ahead. A superb QB threw for 424 yards against us and still lost. We got some breaks but persistence gained 23 first downs for SU and the winning td with 7 seconds left. Amazing...

After watching the game again several times, I think our perspective on the game isn't quite accurate. While Purdue had many big plays in the late 3rd and 4th quarters, SU's defense stopped them numerous times all game long. The pick six won the game. SU won the turnover game and dramatically.

Late in the 2nd quarter, Purdue had 13 first downs and SU had 6. After that point, SU won that game 17 first downs to 12. Defenses won the day until the 4th quarter.

SU's special teams were also better on the day. The punter was solid, we blocked a kick, and Szymt kicked a 50 yard field goal. There was much to like.

SU may have seemed to be losing the line battles, but SU led much of the game: 3-0, 10-9, 18-15, 25-15, 25-22, and finally 32-29. Shrader, Anae, et al. had answers every time Purdue went ahead. A superb QB threw for 424 yards against us and still lost. We got some breaks but persistence gained 23 first downs for SU and the winning td with 7 seconds left. Amazing...
Good post. We play them again next year in West Lafayette. I am happy knowing O’Connell will not be in uniform for that game.

Enjoyed the comments in this thread. A couple of thoughts:
  • Oronde Gadsden II showed some real savvy in that TD reception where he stutter stepped to help his blocker and avoid the closing tacklers.
  • That play seemed almost an homage to the famed SU throwback to the tight end.
  • If reports are true, the interception AOC threw was his first...intercepted by a lineman...for a TD. Couldn't have been better.
  • I think that interception changed the crowd. It had been loud most of the game, but after that play loud turned into a roar. In our section, (302) we could no longer hear the referee announcing penalties. I think that added ferociousness of the fans did affect the Perdue players.
  • Perdue attempts a two point conversion and fails. Syracuse, "Hey Perdue, here's how you do it." ka-ching.
  • Did I spell Purdue wrong? Well, one team in the dome did get their d..ks kicked. Near the end of the game it's as if they actually invited it. Happy to oblige.

Purdue cheer leader looked like she blew out a knee, after a cartwheel. Carried her into the injury tent. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a cheer leader be taken into the injury tent. Hope she’s fine and remains in good spirits.

If Alford wants to play at the next level, he needs to work on his downfield blocking. He did manage to run interference on Gadsden's 1st TD, but I noticed several running plays where he did nothing to help. One that stands out was on a QB scramble in the 3rd Qtr., where #82 totally whiffed on blocking the Purdue CB that allowed him lay a wicked hit on Shrader along the right sideline.

Believe or not Alford graded the highest of all WR in run blocking. In fact he had the highest grade for all positions.

Not a great day for Garrett Williams draft stock. I get he had the toughest assignment all day but he cannot give up multiple big plays and still expect 1st round draft projections. He’ll rebound and be fine but just not a good day.

Garett had a very bad day. He graded very poorly in many aspects. I know Jones is a very good receiver but Williams is a potential 1st round draft pick. He needs to be better and I’m sure he will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom