My Take | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

it worked in the end, by the slimmest of margins, which is most important but I think it has also cost the team in other games and almost did in this one.

at the beginning of the year...i said to run the offense through jesse when they couldnt even get him the ball...but it hasnt quite become the solution to the offense I thought it would be

i think the best offense is the one that gets a lot of assists and involves a lot of passing and open shots...13 assists for the game isnt much...because they werent really moving the ball well...get the ball to jesse then if that doesnt work jack up a desperation shot...is not good offense for my eyes.

do i want jesse getting a lot of shots and looks? of course...

but there are different ways to skin cat.
shocked cat GIF

I wish the offense was more spread pick and roll with Judah and Jesse, but I don't 1) think Judah could have run it at the start of the season, 2) it seems like Jesse is actually more comfortable on the block (even tho I can't imagine his shot at getting to the NBA is that route) and 3) I'm not sure that JB wants to include it like it was run with CP3 and DJ or Harden (or CP3) and Capela.

In a perfect world, I'd love to replicate the 2014 Spurs, but that is like asking for a unicorn.

I just think we get a little complacent when Jesse gets the ball down low. It's tough to complain - his PER, his efficiency stats, etc... all are off the charts. They are ridiculously good. So it's a gamble to pivot. I get why we keep running it through him down there quite a bit.

We'd need him to be as or close to as efficient but more shots at the rim when he's bombing down the lane, but also have the expectation that would open up shots for JGIII (especially), floaters for Judah and looks for Bell with Maliq in the dunker spot getting his clean up or hand off buckets.
yeah...and the thing is is that if the opponent presses in the back court the offense doesnt start until 23 seconds...then the ball doesnt get into the post until 15 seconds approx...then if jesse gets prevented from making a play its back out to the guards with less than 10 to do something and a rushed shot...

hence girard 5 for 14 vs the wolfpack

AND

if the other team KNOWS its going to jesse like every single time they can play defense to try to create that specific scenario...

which NC state did

if the refs werent sympathetic vs nc state...they couldve fouled jesse out on some of those 50-50 plays...they didnt this time...

but they will

and if they did a variety of using jesse...sometimes pick and rolll sometimes in post etc...sometimes lobs etc...it would keep the d honest...imo

Sweep the next three games and we'll see where we are. The Duke and Clemson games are hanging on a thread as Quad 1 opportunities, and thankfully the Pitt game isn't in any jeopardy of falling to a Quad 2 opp.

The bench needs to produce when their number gets called over these next three games because we can't win 3+ ACCT games without Boeheim trusting them and them executing.

Last edited:
i think the best offense is the one that gets a lot of assists and involves a lot of passing and open shots...13 assists for the game isnt much...because they werent really moving the ball well...get the ball to jesse then if that doesnt work jack up a desperation shot...is not good offense for my eyes.
IMO, the best offense is one that gets a lot of baskets. It can change every game, if needed. I point to Billy Edelin just wearing out Justin Thomas as ND. He just backed him down and scored, over and over again. No assists necessary.
JGIII has developed a pretty reliable back to the basket game as well, which is really surprising.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom