My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Writing this as I fly from Miami to Boston, where I will catch a flight to Syracuse. I have flown a lot over the years but I don’t think I have ever stopped in Boston on my way to Syracuse. But I looked at a ton of flights to try and find a way to fly out yesterday and get back today before noon.

Flew down through Philly, where I got a couple of comments on Syracuse football from people who live in the Philly area. They wanted to know if I was excited about SU football and if I knew McCord was coming. I told him yes, I was excited and had heard. LOL. People are noticing what is happening..

Not a big fan of the Miami airport. Like a lot of airports, they have a shuttle that takes you from the terminal I flew into to the rental car area (I think there is an Amtrak station there too). It is poorly marked and I have never had such a hard time just finding where I could pick up my rental car. As an aside, there was more Spanish spoken than English there; the most I have ever hear in an American city.

Boca Raton is around 45 miles north of Miami. Straight run on I95. I95 can get very congested. I got my car around noon, checked into my nearby hotel and drove up to the FAU campus to try and avoid rush hour traffic. It was still congested at times but not bad. Took about an hour.

The FAU campus is pretty open. Smallish buildings. Modern. Not vey distinguished looking but not East German looking. Their stadium is relatively new (about 10 years old?) , holds about 30K and is a nice place to watch a game. Excellent site lines. The game day experience wasn't great. More on that later.

The tailgate was maybe 250 yards from the stadium. TexanMark picked a great spot (Lot 7 I think). There was a big group of USF fans next door but they were friendly and we got along fine. Mark cooked up some iumbalaya, a local brought a grill and many Hofman products were grilled. Hot dogs and coneys. Some Sahlens too I think. Lots of choices to drink and lots of great company. Saw many old friends and met some people in person from the board for the first time. Very cool.

Pete brought a laptop and a projector and used it to show the SU basketball game on a screen on the back of his van. It was a little dicey before the sun set but worked beautifully. Great to see the team play well and see continued emergence from some of our young players. We just might be pretty good.

Headed up to the stadium shortly after the hoops game ended. Got nachos and a burrito from a place allied Taco Al Carbon (I think that was the name). A local told me they were a chain that has a restaurant near the campus. It was good. Yes, I broke my keto rules a bit here but it was in the interest of culinary exploration.

Not sure how many were there. Maybe 15K? Was originally thinking 13K but later it seemed like it filled out some. Could have even been 17K. It was close regarding which fan base brought more fans. I thought we had more at first but it is hard to tell sitting in the corner of an end zone. And it seemed like USF added people as the game went on. They certainly had more to cheer about.

Thought our play calling on offense was very uninspired. No new plays that I noticed. Very vanilla calls, especially in the first half when it was a still a game. The only interesting play was a reverse and LeQuint (I think) made an awful toss that should have been a turnover.

When we finally did throw the ball downfield with Davis, and had success, it seemed we immediately went back into a shell and just called Wildcat plays they were clearly ready for.

The lack of discipline that was a defining characteristic of all Dino teams reared its ugly head when Barron destroyed a USF player on the fumble returned for a TD. It didn’t matter; he just wanted to destroy someone.. Disappointing to see a captain use such poor judgement and this isn’t the first time he has done something like this.

In the final analysis, it probably didn’’t matter but that took 7 off the board and the offense found a way to get out of FG range and we got nothing from that turnover.

Thought our defensive effort also looked mailed in. Almost no blitzes or changes to coverages. We kept playing man coverage with suspect CBs and they kept throwing long. We couldn’t get pressure. We didn’t blitz much. When we did get good coverage, the QB could always run for a long gain and make a first down with no problem. Don’t think we even tried to spy him.

If there was any doubt we made a mistake with the coaching changes, those concerns were displaced last night.

Sorry the kids had to go out with such an awful performance. Guessing a few players Fran might have been on the fence about keeping lot theor chance to stay last night.

In the final analysis, the game doesn’t mean much but man, I wished we played better.

Prep for 2024 starts today. Let’s go!

War Damn Otto!

Your language observation is accurate. I had a patient that lived in Miami for most of her adult life. One reason she and her husband moved was because it got to the point that they could not conduct life without speaking spanish. They're not spanish speakers and so many people in the area don't speak english.

it was a dumb block. But Im not understanding the rule if 2 guys running along and one makes a block.
the rule says "initiated from outside the opponent’s field of vision' So they think the guy didnt see the guy literal running next to him?

Felt like the refs didnt want to be there either.

to me they got both lateral plays wrong but had no real urge to rewind the plays. The late hit penalty even the announcers were like what happened there?

It was much like our last Bowl game in Miami, over at halftime. That now makes 5 out of our last 6 Bowl Ls being complete stinkers. Actually, you need to go back to January 1st 1965 to see an SU Bowl L where we still had a decent chance in the 4th Q.

Writing this as I fly from Miami to Boston, where I will catch a flight to Syracuse. I have flown a lot over the years but I don’t think I have ever stopped in Boston on my way to Syracuse. But I looked at a ton of flights to try and find a way to fly out yesterday and get back today before noon.

Flew down through Philly, where I got a couple of comments on Syracuse football from people who live in the Philly area. They wanted to know if I was excited about SU football and if I knew McCord was coming. I told him yes, I was excited and had heard. LOL. People are noticing what is happening..

Not a big fan of the Miami airport. Like a lot of airports, they have a shuttle that takes you from the terminal I flew into to the rental car area (I think there is an Amtrak station there too). It is poorly marked and I have never had such a hard time just finding where I could pick up my rental car. As an aside, there was more Spanish spoken than English there; the most I have ever hear in an American city.

Boca Raton is around 45 miles north of Miami. Straight run on I95. I95 can get very congested. I got my car around noon, checked into my nearby hotel and drove up to the FAU campus to try and avoid rush hour traffic. It was still congested at times but not bad. Took about an hour.

The FAU campus is pretty open. Smallish buildings. Modern. Not vey distinguished looking but not East German looking. Their stadium is relatively new (about 10 years old?) , holds about 30K and is a nice place to watch a game. Excellent site lines. The game day experience wasn't great. More on that later.

The tailgate was maybe 250 yards from the stadium. TexanMark picked a great spot (Lot 7 I think). There was a big group of USF fans next door but they were friendly and we got along fine. Mark cooked up some iumbalaya, a local brought a grill and many Hofman products were grilled. Hot dogs and coneys. Some Sahlens too I think. Lots of choices to drink and lots of great company. Saw many old friends and met some people in person from the board for the first time. Very cool.

Pete brought a laptop and a projector and used it to show the SU basketball game on a screen on the back of his van. It was a little dicey before the sun set but worked beautifully. Great to see the team play well and see continued emergence from some of our young players. We just might be pretty good.

Headed up to the stadium shortly after the hoops game ended. Got nachos and a burrito from a place allied Taco Al Carbon (I think that was the name). A local told me they were a chain that has a restaurant near the campus. It was good. Yes, I broke my keto rules a bit here but it was in the interest of culinary exploration.

Not sure how many were there. Maybe 15K? Was originally thinking 13K but later it seemed like it filled out some. Could have even been 17K. It was close regarding which fan base brought more fans. I thought we had more at first but it is hard to tell sitting in the corner of an end zone. And it seemed like USF added people as the game went on. They certainly had more to cheer about.

Thought our play calling on offense was very uninspired. No new plays that I noticed. Very vanilla calls, especially in the first half when it was a still a game. The only interesting play was a reverse and LeQuint (I think) made an awful toss that should have been a turnover.

When we finally did throw the ball downfield with Davis, and had success, it seemed we immediately went back into a shell and just called Wildcat plays they were clearly ready for.

The lack of discipline that was a defining characteristic of all Dino teams reared its ugly head when Barron destroyed a USF player on the fumble returned for a TD. It didn’t matter; he just wanted to destroy someone.. Disappointing to see a captain use such poor judgement and this isn’t the first time he has done something like this.

In the final analysis, it probably didn’’t matter but that took 7 off the board and the offense found a way to get out of FG range and we got nothing from that turnover.

Thought our defensive effort also looked mailed in. Almost no blitzes or changes to coverages. We kept playing man coverage with suspect CBs and they kept throwing long. We couldn’t get pressure. We didn’t blitz much. When we did get good coverage, the QB could always run for a long gain and make a first down with no problem. Don’t think we even tried to spy him.

If there was any doubt we made a mistake with the coaching changes, those concerns were displaced last night.

Sorry the kids had to go out with such an awful performance. Guessing a few players Fran might have been on the fence about keeping lot theor chance to stay last night.

In the final analysis, the game doesn’t mean much but man, I wished we played better.

War Damn Otto!

Simmons made that blocking penalty.

Great to see you Tom and our other Orange faithful at the tailgate. That was definitely the high point of the evening. Brutal to watch in person.

Onwards and upwards.

I would not want to be one of the kids watching that film with the new staff.

My takes:

Overall: I wouldn't mind the ACC getting a secondary agreement with the Boca Bowl with a caveat.

The line crew holding the sticks were comically bad along with the announcer. So many times the scoreboard had inaccurate down and distance. One stick guy would show 1st down and on the other side show 3rd down. The refs volume on field calls was set at 7 on the remote when we needed 88. I couldn't hear one call.

The sideline guys wore AAC patches.

The stadium was nice but basic erector set but it had individual seats. It wasn't well marked for sections and rows but overall as Tomcat said the sightings were excellent and lighting was very good.

FLorange (Taylor) was huge bringing the grill and grilling all the coneys. Thank you FloridaRon for getting the Publix order and ice.. Pete Otto21 was the man with getting the Niagara game on the big screen. Finally thank you Doug capeorange for bringing some supplies.

These tailgates can't work without you guys helping.

Good writeup as always Tom. Nice catching up with you at the tailgate.

Thanks again to Mark for his tailgate wizardry, and to all those helpers he mentioned.

Pete’s projection of the hoops game was inspired, and for those who haven’t met him, this is a passionate SU basketball fan.

I’m not going to say there isn’t still a sour feeling around this result today, because there is. But how much worse would it be if we hadn’t made a change, and brought hope back onboard in the person of Fran Brown?

LGO!!

Worst airport ever. I don't think I've ever walked so much.

We were so honored to be part of this legendary tailgate and meet so many people who make this board and events like this possible. It was one time where meeting my heroes actually worked out favorably!! ;)

Thanks to all for everything you did for making this tailgate possible. We were just happy to contribute a little by helping us watch the bball game together- wasn’t perfect by any means and I needed help from so many amazing people, but it was so much fun to hang out with you all and bleed Orange together. That’s what I’ll remember from this occasion, and I’m too excited about the future to be as upset about this game as I normally would be.

As I told many people last night, I’m not allowed in many places during Cuse games unless I have my scream pillow to mitigate my obnoxious cheering hahaha but I can’t help it. And basketball is where I really lose it, because I played and understand that sport better than football. Todd Burgan dunked on my face once lol.

The food was outstanding, the company was even better. Thanks so much everyone. My mom had just beaten cancer with slim odds, and we were secretly celebrating that as well ❤️

Last edited:
Simmons made that blocking penalty.
Thanks guys for the correction on that key blocking penalty. Barron is one of my favorites and the fact it was someone else makes me feel better about him. Really hoping he comes back for a proper senior season where we win a bunch more games and maybe crack the top 25.

We were so honored to be part of this legendary tailgate and meet so many people who make this board and events like this possible. It was one time where meeting my heroes actually worked out favorably!! ;)

Thanks to all for everything you did for making this tailgate possible. We were just happy to contribute a little by helping us watch the bball game together- wasn’t perfect by any means and I needed help from so many amazing people, but it was so much fun to hang out with you all and bleed Orange together. That’s what I’ll remember from this occasion and I’m too excited about the future to be as upset about this game as I normally would be.

As I told many people last night, I’m not allowed in many places during Cuse games unless I have my scream pillow to mitigate my obnoxious cheering hahaha but I can’t help it. And basketball is where I really lose it, because I played and understand that sport better than football. Todd Burgan dunked on my face once lol.

The food was outstanding, the company was even better. Thanks so much everyone. My mom had just beaten cancer with slim odds, and we were secretly celebrating that as well ❤️
It was great to meet you Pete.

So happy to hear about your mom!

G

War Damn Otto!
Comments on USFs tuba game? I thought they beat our tuba game 0-45 too. More tubas, crazy hip gyrations that I've only ever seen on Nat Geo Animal Kingdom, loud, shiny, cool tuba covers. That was some big time tuba game.

My takes:

Overall: I wouldn't mind the ACC getting a secondary agreement with the Boca Bowl with a caveat.

The line crew holding the sticks were comically bad along with the announcer. So many times the scoreboard had inaccurate down and distance. One stick guy would show 1st down and on the other side show 3rd down. The refs volume on field calls was set at 7 on the remote when we needed 88. I couldn't hear one call.
Yes this is how it normally is for FAU games too. I was hoping for the bowl that they would have corrected it.

Thanks to all for everything you did for making this tailgate possible. We were just happy to contribute a little by helping us watch the bball game together- wasn’t perfect by any means and I needed help from so many amazing people, but it was so much fun to hang out with you all and bleed Orange together. That’s what I’ll remember from this occasion, and I’m too excited about the future to be as upset about this game as I normally would be.

Really appreciate you setting up the projector for the bball game. Was great to have a tailgate watch party!

Funny part was the wind picked up, I said to those around that I had the screen secured, then it falls over lol.

One of the worst games I’ve seen… ever. But, I really don’t hold it against the coaches, who probably hated their jobs while watching the excitement surrounding the new hires, or the players who were practicing all the while the fans are talking about recruiting over them. It was an impossible situation in which to put those guys. It’s a shame it came to that. But it’s a business, and the bowl games have become a nearly irrelevant component if the business.

The sideline guys wore AAC patches.
Yeah, I didn’t understand that, since the officials were from the Sun Belt conference.

G

Comments on USFs tuba game? I thought they beat our tuba game 0-45 too. More tubas, crazy hip gyrations that I've only ever seen on Nat Geo Animal Kingdom, loud, shiny, cool tuba covers. That was some big time tuba game.
USF has had a great band for a long time now. They had around 30 tubas to our 10…

Props to them.

Tom, great talking with you at tailgate! Met so many good Cuse folks. My son Pete wanted to watch the hoops game and was happy he pulled it off! Many came over to watch and that game, despite its closeness due, in my view, to players forgetting what Coach Red is preaching, became the sports highlight of the night!

Great analysis, Tom, as is typical of you!

The only good elements of the football game was our seats close to the band, cheerleaders and dancers! Bravo to them.

Coach Fran Brown, I am so excited for you being our new head guy!

Go Orange!

IMG_0996.jpeg

Last edited:
Tom, great talking with you at tailgate! Met so many good Cuse folks. My son Pete wanted to watch the hoops game and was happy he pulled it off! Many came over to watch and that game, despite its closeness due, in my view, to players forgetting what Coach Red is preaching, became the sports highlight of the night!

Great analysis, Tom, as is typical of you!

The only good elements of the football game was our seats close to the band, cheerleaders and dancers! Bravo to them.

Coach Fran Brown, I am so excited for you being our new head guy!

Go Orange!
Great to meet you and your son and a bunch of other great SU fans. And see some old friends too.

The future is bright!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom