My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Thought the biggest play in the game might have been the block JS had on Drummond early in the game on a point blank dunk attempt. We caught a break with Napier hurt. While his play is renowned for its inconsistency, he was not much of a factor today.

UConn took a bunch of shots to the jaw and did not give up, showing a great deal of pluck. Even a bit of grit, which is a credit to them.

Really liked JB's decision to play the whole 2nd team as a unit in the 1st half. Wow, they played well together as a unit in the 1st half. Wish we subbed a little more like that in the 2nd half. UConn definitely got some easy baskets late as the favored 5 cleared was gassed and needed subs.

Scoop and KJ made a lot of plays, as usual, leading the team on the road. Good to see Dion play well again. I hope his hand is okay. I hope KJ is okay too. His injury must have been fairly problematic for him to miss that much time. This victory could have been really costly.

Speaking of injuries, what did Jim Burr do, dislocate his thumb walking the court? I hope he doesn't loose a finger in a game and have a player trip and it and get seriously injured.

Disappointed with the play in the 2nd half. I know UConn was playing for their lives and it was a fairly tough venue to play in, but there were a bunch of completely unforced turnovers. You can't get bored even when you are playing a bad team.

What was Smith doing in at the end of the game? The guy can barely walk without falling down. He might even be worse than Olander. Traveled 3 times before losing the ball on the final play. Embarrassing.

I think Fab Melo is going to be the BE Defensive Player of the Year. To the victors belong the spoils. 29-1. Not a bad season. War Damn Otto.

I started a thread about K-Jo's injury. Could be a big deal going forward. Didn't look good.

There were at least four tubas there. Need to get confirmation on the true total.

Thought I saw Burr trying to pop his thumb back in.

Great assessment as always Senor Cat. Let's win one more and then on to NYC. We might even see UConn again on Thursday afternoon. Perhaps I'll see you at the Garden. Ginger Ale on me kind sir.

Kj has a lot of time to heal. If he was to sit the next game, he would have a week and a half to heal.

Kj has a lot of time to heal. If he was to sit the next game, he would have a week and a half to heal.

And speaking of time, this is a lot of time for the coaching staff to get on our players for squandering a big lead tonight.

I'd expect us to come out focused against Louisville.

Stat of the night in my opinion was SU +4 in rebounds because the one that I think made this a close game in the end was SU only -1 in turnovers (9 to UConn 10). After taking really good care of the ball in the first half we went on a turnover binge in the second.

I too was wondering why JB didn't bring MCW and Southerland back in in the 2nd half. I thought they could have provided a nice spark, especially on D after UConn cut the lead to 6.
I think the starters could have used a breather there at that point and it was mainly the bench lineup that went on the run in the first half to build the big lead.
Oh well, we still won so I guess JB knows what he's doing.
That was a huge put back my Melo in the CJ miss to give us the 2 pt win.

Good recap, that was a phenomenal block by JS. He played a pretty solid game, would be great to see him gain some confidence in his shot again.

The rotation in the first half was nice to see all around - wish we had more intensity on D in the second half. It kind of sucks when you see it tighten up late when the lead is almost gone. They need to maintain that intensity for the whole game.

KJ played 34 minutes ... and remember he out for a stretch in the 1st half with the other starters..

I too was wondering why JB didn't bring MCW and Southerland back in in the 2nd half. I thought they could have provided a nice spark, especially on D after UConn cut the lead to 6.
I think the starters could have used a breather there at that point and it was mainly the bench lineup that went on the run in the first half to build the big lead.

JB realized none of his critics jumped off a bridge like he asked, and he doesn't want any more call-in heat on Thursday asking why they don't play. He saw how effective the 2nd team was and panicked.

JB realized none of his critics jumped off a bridge like he asked, and he doesn't want any more call-in heat on Thursday asking why they don't play. He saw how effective the 2nd team was and panicked.
Tough break last night buddy. They almost had us.

Good recap, that was a phenomenal block by JS. He played a pretty solid game, would be great to see him gain some confidence in his shot again.

The rotation in the first half was nice to see all around - wish we had more intensity on D in the second half. It kind of sucks when you see it tighten up late when the lead is almost gone. They need to maintain that intensity for the whole game.
As the team was going down court right after the block, I was saying get JS the ball. He got it but miss. I was sort of hoping for the :"make a diving catch, get up and hit a double" type of play that seem to happen a lot in baseball. The defensive play ignites something.

That was a huge put back my Melo in the CJ miss to give us the 2 pt win.
Especially when Scoop looked like he was gassed a couple of times. That seemed different.

For the life of me I still don't understand the hesitancy to play more bench that 2nd half.
My nephew, the UConn alum, was texting up a storm about "waves of SU players coming at us".
Why JB became more conservative about the rotation...:noidea:

The WAER post game locker room reporter said that Joseph was fine. Looked like no lingering injury problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom