My Take | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Play calling is always an issue for radio and fans.

It's not about play calling.

It's about toughness, technique and smart, hard, physical play.

Those are the issues - not what call was made on a given play.

This is true and why I generally don't get into the play calling debates.

That being said, our margin of error is so small at this point that we seem uniquely affected by the occassional bad play call (and even the great one's make bad play calls sometimes). We have such limited opportunities to score due to an utter lack of playmakers that when we miss out on one it really harms us.

Corners played 7-8 yards off the Ball for easy receptions,Players still try to tackle with their shoulders "NOT wraping up" , A Punt/Kick returner has to be told how to position his hands for the catch "(Something learned in Pop Warner),Opening Kick off was a Gift that the Ball wasn't on the one yd line, A slow QB trying to run, and a terrible toss right Play. I'm was a wholehearted Marrone Guy but enough of these NFL Guru's .

FOUR turnovers on the road, or anywhere, usually spells loss, and then when you add costly penalties and an opponent playing at home with ZERO turnovers it's ugly.

The defense did well considering the mistakes on offense, and I agree about FS for sure and to a lesser extent about the Mike. I'm hopeful Diabate will improve. Definitely miss Derrell Smith, Doug Hogue, Max Suter and even P. Thomas.

Minny was smart to focus on Sales with help from a safety. Expect a mixture of coverage and pressure going forward. SU has enough play makers this year to make teams pay at lease moreso than in past years, but it will come down to execution on the OL and at the QB position.

"First, ordering the TW Sports Pass so I could watch the game was a huge pain in the butt. Could not order it from the TV directly (got an error), the phone number they provided on the screen did not work the 25 times or so that I tried it, found a customer support number on line and waited for 35 minutes to talk to someone there, ordered it on line but the channel did not come up, tried a chat on line, waited 35 minutes for that and never got in that way. Eventually someone answered the phone and I got the game 1 minute in. Not cool."

i ordered thru the TV. NADA. somebody at TWC is going to have a really bad day if i see that 6 bucks on my bill.

You should find out who caused the glitch and kiss that person. Best $6.00 you'll ever spend on something else (even if you were to spend it on a donkey to kick you in the face).

FOUR turnovers on the road, or anywhere, usually spells loss, and then when you add costly penalties and an opponent playing at home with ZERO turnovers it's ugly.

The defense did well considering the mistakes on offense, and I agree about FS for sure and to a lesser extent about the Mike. I'm hopeful Diabate will improve. Definitely miss Derrell Smith, Doug Hogue, Max Suter and even P. Thomas.

Minny was smart to focus on Sales with help from a safety. Expect a mixture of coverage and pressure going forward. SU has enough play makers this year to make teams pay at lease moreso than in past years, but it will come down to execution on the OL and at the QB position.

The four TOs hurt our chances of COMING BACK. But the fact that we were down in the first place had nothing to do with the TOs. Heck even if we had ZERO TOs we likely lose the game. The first one had zero effect on the outcome. The second one ended a drive but who knows if we continue on to 0, 3, or 7 points there. The third one kept 3 points off the board. The 4th one came on a situation caused by the 3rd one.

We got down 14-3, played sloppy FB, and were a mess in all facets of the game. That had nothing to do with the 4 TOs. I hope the staff isn't focusing on the TOs as it ignores the bigger issues.

The four TOs hurt our chances of COMING BACK. But the fact that we were down in the first place had nothing to do with the TOs. Heck even if we had ZERO TOs we likely lose the game. The first one had zero effect on the outcome. The second one ended a drive but who knows if we continue on to 0, 3, or 7 points there. The third one kept 3 points off the board. The 4th one came on a situation caused by the 3rd one.

We got down 14-3, played sloppy FB, and were a mess in all facets of the game. That had nothing to do with the 4 TOs. I hope the staff isn't focusing on the TOs as it ignores the bigger issues.

I respectfully disagree. TOs are drive killers. In a close game on the road, or anywhere, you cannot give the ball to the other team. SU moved the ball yesterday, but they gave it away 4 times and lost by 7. I do agree other factors were involved especially the penalties.

I respectfully disagree. TOs are drive killers. In a close game on the road, or anywhere, you cannot give the ball to the other team. SU moved the ball yesterday, but they gave it away 4 times and lost by 7. I do agree other factors were involved especially the penalties.

You disagree that we played like crap prior to the TOs and that even without the TOs it would be 14-3? We moved the ball? We had a ton of quick drives were we punted. Until the last TD drive we struggled to move the ball.

Again first TOs had no effect on our or Minny's points. Second TO may have cost us points, may have no. Third cost us 3 points. Fourth doesn't happen without the 3rd. We still lose with zero TOs.

Good post as usual Tom, but I can't say I agree on the Offense. Didn't understand our "hurry up" yesterday.

I don't really consider it hurry up when you no huddle, but instead of moving quick you simply walk to each player and tell them the play. Either huddle or get to the line and go, pick one.

Yeah I really didn't understand this ... did Ryan lose the ability to scream or something? You shouldn't have to call the play 8 times, with audible 16 times ... I guess we need to be no huddle, if we didn't we'd have 8 delay of games to bit(c)h about.

We were lucky - two missed FGs at point blank range and the holding call on the TD pass.

If you can't stop the run you can't win. And right now we can't stop the run. The Gophers RBs were moving through the line untouched on almost every play.

That must stop.

Well, hard to say we were lucky on the hold for the TD pass. If Goggins isn't held it's a sack. He beat the guy and the QB doesn't get that pass off. One missed FG was 45 yards right? No gimme in college.

The D had issues for sure, but without luck we give up what, 20? This offense was built to overcome that. The two 3rd and long runs are almost as annoying as the red zone disaster. That just wasn't the offense we had seen. Pugh and possibly Flemming better be the upgrades we're expecting them to be.

Play calling is always an issue for radio and fans.

It's not about play calling.

It's about toughness, technique and smart, hard, physical play.

Those are the issues - not what call was made on a given play.

Sorry the play calling was atrocious if you cant see that then you didnt see that sequence at the goaline or pretty much the entire first half. Time to call a spade a spade Hackett stunk up the joint yesterday.

You disagree that we played like crap prior to the TOs and that even without the TOs it would be 14-3? We moved the ball? We had a ton of quick drives were we punted. Until the last TD drive we struggled to move the ball.

Again first TOs had no effect on our or Minny's points. Second TO may have cost us points, may have no. Third cost us 3 points. Fourth doesn't happen without the 3rd. We still lose with zero TOs.

SU turned the ball over on the first play of the game. That's a drive killer. What if SU keeps the ball, gets a first down and then moves the ball down the field and gets points? The other 3 TOs were much more obvious drive killers. Giving away 4 possessions in a tight game is a killer. It's shocking to me the game was even close.

SU turned the ball over on the first play of the game. That's a drive killer. What if SU keeps the ball, gets a first down and then moves the ball down the field and gets points? The other 3 TOs were much more obvious drive killers. Giving away 4 possessions in a tight game is a killer. It's shocking to me the game was even close.

It wasn't a tight game, so you are wrong there.

As to the first one, it was the first play. We ended up getting the ball back up field! All it did was hurt our TOP.

It wasn't a tight game, so you are wrong there.

As to the first one, it was the first play. We ended up getting the ball back up field! All it did was hurt our TOP.

Ok. We disagree. I think 7-3 at the half is tight.

Perhaps I am off center here but here goes my analysis:
Poor coaching...and I mean from the top through the offensive coordinator that included:
1. Very little enthusiasm at start of game--in fact each game we have played the other team comes out much more fired up than 'Cuse
2. We did not follow the same game strategy/tempo we used for our first 3 games that included the # of overall plays...
87 plays; 95 plays; 80 plays; and this game at 64
--that is 20% fewer plays than we had in any previous game
3. Neither head coach nor offensive coordinator changed the tempo during the game...in fact head coach had a little grin most of the game...some may call that even keel...I take it as not understanding reality
4. Play calling was atrocious...included trying to run outside inside the 3 yard line was a horrendous call...as were several other running plays
5. Unfortunately, we have demonstrated near goal line a lack of ability to drive up the middle...what of qb sneaks
6. What were the calls for Ryan to run. First he is a terrible runner/back. Second, in order to avoid getting hit he slides 3-4 yards in front of defense thus losing yeardage and when hit cannot hold onto ball
7. The handoffs from Ryan to backs were terrible at least 8 times this game...too much hesitancy in committing to play
8. This is not a disciplined group of players...silly penalties and lack of effort on tackling should not be acceptable

Overall, I am very frustrated with the team...at least in the first 3 games I thought the up tempo was a good strategy...and it seemed to be working...suddenly we slow it down considerably. It is difficult to have faith in coaches who seem dazed and out of it on the side lines...did anyone see an overt act of frustration by any coach...when you accept poor discipline of the players and let them get away with playing poorly...then losses will mount up.

Thank you for contacting Time Warner Cable Email Support.I understand you ordered the Big Ten Network, however you were unable to view the game.I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.I understand your concern and will be glad to assist you.I would like to inform you that there is no charge for the the channel.We charge customers for a package.It seems that the game was blacked out.Blackouts are regional television restrictions distributed in order to protect the local televisionrights' holder broadcasting the game. Blackout restrictions are based on the home team's televisionterritory.Contracts between certain programmers and broadcasters occasionally require us to block certainshows. Even though, these shows may appear in various programming guides, they will not be shown.We apologize for any inconvenience these mandated "blackouts" may cause.Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.We value you as a customer.

1300 miles. 20+ hours. blackout. sounds reasonable enuf.minnesota is now a home game.

Lance: They should be ing killed. No trial, no jury, straight to execution.
Vincent: Boy, I wish I could've caught him doing it. I'd have given anything to catch that doing it. It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it. BINGO.

Sorry the play calling was atrocious if you cant see that then you didnt see that sequence at the goaline or pretty much the entire first half. Time to call a spade a spade Hackett stunk up the joint yesterday.
Agree with above...but insofar as your ending...we are better off than Rutgers-- being in the ACC...but Rutgers is 4-0, ranked in Top 25...and has a better Fball team than we do for several years now...sorry to say!

Agree with above...but insofar as your ending...we are better off than Rutgers-- being in the ACC...but Rutgers is 4-0, ranked in Top 25...and has a better Fball team than we do for several years now...sorry to say!

im not sure rutgers is better than us they played 2 gimme non conference games and usf team that is always up and down.arkansas coming into the year was expected to be a good win but that was with coach petrino not current guy ,ive seen them 3 times they look like 7-5 at best team

I'm not 100% sure but I think LOU was finally replaced in the 4th. Don't know by who looked like a number 50 something. IMHO it came about 4 games to late.
Phillips came in (# 62) for the last series. Did a much better job but it was too little, too late. Andy got a little PT at RT in the Northwestern game too but Alexander has gotten the vast majority of the playing time at right tackle.

Good post as usual Tom, but I can't say I agree on the Offense. Didn't understand our "hurry up" yesterday.

I don't really consider it hurry up when you no huddle, but instead of moving quick you simply walk to each player and tell them the play. Either huddle or get to the line and go, pick one.
The noise the UM fans were making definitely slowed down the hurry up offense. No question the players had a hard time hearing the calls and Nassib had to get into their ear for them to know what the call was for a given play. Don't some teams use signals from the sideline to get the plays in?

The noise the UM fans were making definitely slowed down the hurry up offense. No question the players had a hard time hearing the calls and Nassib had to get into their ear for them to know what the call was for a given play. Don't some teams use signals from the sideline to get the plays in?

Oregon uses signs.

The players aren't used to having a stadium that is full and noisy.

The players aren't used to having a stadium that is full and noisy.

It was loud? I seriously couldn't tell that from the broadcast. It looked like a stadium full of fans but sounded like a convention of mute sports fanatics.

The game blew and, IMO, speaks to the biggest single factor working against the program in the 3+ years of the Marrone era -- our OL blows, or at least has major holes. Not sure why this is the case with three guys who supposedly specialize on the OL, but it needs to be fixed ... yesterday.

Oregon uses signs.

Opponents hate that play. It's the run real freakin fast and score an 80 yard touchdown play. It's weird that all of their play call signs end with the same result. We need to get some of those.

I thought the biggest play in the entire game was that pitch to Jerome and 2nd and goal from the 1. I also thought it was a God-awful call.

That play created 3rd and goal from the four - a clear passing down - which led to the Blitz, which led to the hit and the interception.

I know we forced them to punt and were almost inside the red zone when Broyld fumbled (but being at the 20 is not the same as being at the 1-god****- yard line) but if we get 7 there (and we should for chrissakes, it was 1st and goal from the 1)...we never get into the must-pass situation so early in the fourth which led to Alexander getting steamrolled like Chip Diller at the homecoming parade.

One question, if a guy is struggling that badly, can't we put a TE or a back out there to help? It was painful to watch him try to handle that DE 1 v 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom