My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Small crowd. Maybe 5K. Quiet. I understand. Pace was...like you might think a school named Pace would be like. 5'5 point guards named Salvatore. 6'6 190 pound centers. Best player named after Denzel Washington. Denzel Primero Demon. Something like that. Wore #1. Solid.

Great NA by an 8th grader from West Genny. Impressive.

Scorecard config for basketball was awful for the Knick exhibition. Still awful. Forget about improving the limited information they made available with the old twilighted light bulb technology. Things are even worse now. You have the score, the time, the team fouls and time outs remaining. No other individual or team stats despite great improvements in resolution and vastly expanded space on the many scoreboards in the Dome. I hope this improves. Football was awful at first and has gotten better as the season has progressed. So there is reason to keep hope alive.

Pace was really awful. No way to make any meaningful judgments from this one. That being said...

Baye Moussa Keita had a lot of points. Mostly garbage 2 footers. He is still really skinny, don't think he has put on any muscle. Essentially the same player as last year.

Coleman was not a focus on offense but still got some points, converted when he got the ball down low. Looks like unless he is within 5 feet of the rim, he is not a threat to score, will need some time to develop moves. Great at outletting the ball. Not a shotblocker, not a dunker, gonna block a lot of shots. One of the biggest questions of the preseason was, where is JB gonna put DC2 in the zone? He played on the wing when Christmas was in, presumably because Rakim is a far better shot blocker. Will be interesting to see how well he can get to the shooter playing here. If Rick could do it, I would think DC2 can too.

Christmas is the most noticeably bigger player. Remains pretty limited on offense, looks like he is going to rebound more this season. Was really patient, did not force anything on offense, converted when he got the ball in good position. Solid start for him.

James did not start but didn't mope, played hard, was really efficient while on the court and looked confident. Played some minutes at the top of the 2-3 which was really interesting to see.

CJ hit a 3, was effective kniving to the hole, rebounded pretty well, looked like a solid veteran. Has gotten a little stronger, his arms are definitely bigger and his torso thicker.

MCW was not as dominant as I thought he might be. Got off to a great start but was bothered by strong in your face defense a bit. Finished in the paint really well, didn't pass the ball nearly as much as I expected he would. Did hit a 3 very nicely. He may dominate this season but definitely has some growing pains to get through beforehand.

BT played good defense, ran the point effectively, passed it well and scored when he had position, mostly inside the paint against the Pace vertically challenged guards.

Jeremy Grant had a quiet but solid debut. Plays like a vet, doesn't force anything, savvy, really long, not as fast as I was expecting, looks to me like he is going to develop into a power forward over time. Does everything well. Will be hard to get minutes for him with 3 vets returning at forward but it will also be hard to keep him off the court.

Fun game to watch. There was some stretches of sustained excellence on offense and defense and some other stretches of very uninspired play. Overall, I think this team might be a little less consistent on defense as recent years, this applies to offense as well. Should be a little better rebounding team than last year.

There is work to do with a bunch of the new players, figuring out their roles, working together better as a team, etc. I expect several losses early, we might struggle to score points at times. But the pieces are all here to have a top 10 team and I think they will eventually figure it all out. Be patient, don't freak out when this team struggles some early. In the end, I think things are going to turn out just fine.

Thanks. I had a three-hour lecture tonight and head for North Carolina in the morning to attend a conference. I DVR'd the game but will not get a chance to watch it until next week. You made my day.

Insightful and I think your analysis of losing some games early will be true. I think this team is very talented but will have growing pains that may turn to losses. We have been very fortunate to have 2 unreal years and I think we are set up to be very good but it will be hard to compare to the last few years. That being said put your seat bealts on beacuse this team if anything will be fun to watch. Glad basketball season is upon us.

GO CUSE

No players stats.

No halftime stats.

It's like we're back at Manley.

Small crowd. Maybe 5K. Quiet. I understand. Pace was...like you might think a school named Pace would be like. 5'5 point guards named Salvatore. 6'6 190 pound centers. Best player named after Denzel Washington. Denzel Primero Demon. Something like that. Wore #1. Solid.

Great NA by an 8th grader from West Genny. Impressive.

Scorecard config for basketball was awful for the Knick exhibition. Still awful. Forget about improving the limited information they made available with the old twilighted light bulb technology. Things are even worse now. You have the score, the time, the team fouls and time outs remaining. No other individual or team stats despite great improvements in resolution and vastly expanded space on the many scoreboards in the Dome. I hope this improves. Football was awful at first and has gotten better as the season has progressed. So there is reason to keep hope alive.

Pace was really awful. No way to make any meaningful judgments from this one. That being said...

Baye Moussa Keita had a lot of points. Mostly garbage 2 footers. He is still really skinny, don't think he has put on any muscle. Essentially the same player as last year.

Coleman was not a focus on offense but still got some points, converted when he got the ball down low. Looks like unless he is within 5 feet of the rim, he is not a threat to score, will need some time to develop moves. Great at outletting the ball. Not a shotblocker, not a dunker, gonna block a lot of shots. One of the biggest questions of the preseason was, where is JB gonna put DC2 in the zone? He played on the wing when Christmas was in, presumably because Rakim is a far better shot blocker. Will be interesting to see how well he can get to the shooter playing here. If Rick could do it, I would think DC2 can too.

Christmas is the most noticeably bigger player. Remains pretty limited on offense, looks like he is going to rebound more this season. Was really patient, did not force anything on offense, converted when he got the ball in good position. Solid start for him.

James did not start but didn't mope, played hard, was really efficient while on the court and looked confident. Played some minutes at the top of the 2-3 which was really interesting to see.

CJ hit a 3, was effective kniving to the hole, rebounded pretty well, looked like a solid veteran. Has gotten a little stronger, his arms are definitely bigger and his torso thicker.

MCW was not as dominant as I thought he might be. Got off to a great start but was bothered by strong in your face defense a bit. Finished in the paint really well, didn't pass the ball nearly as much as I expected he would. Did hit a 3 very nicely. He may dominate this season but definitely has some growing pains to get through beforehand.

BT played good defense, ran the point effectively, passed it well and scored when he had position, mostly inside the paint against the Pace vertically challenged guards.

Jeremy Grant had a quiet but solid debut. Plays like a vet, doesn't force anything, savvy, really long, not as fast as I was expecting, looks to me like he is going to develop into a power forward over time. Does everything well. Will be hard to get minutes for him with 3 vets returning at forward but it will also be hard to keep him off the court.

Fun game to watch. There was some stretches of sustained excellence on offense and defense and some other stretches of very uninspired play. Overall, I think this team might be a little less consistent on defense as recent years, this applies to offense as well. Should be a little better rebounding team than last year.

There is work to do with a bunch of the new players, figuring out their roles, working together better as a team, etc. I expect several losses early, we might struggle to score points at times. But the pieces are all here to have a top 10 team and I think they will eventually figure it all out. Be patient, don't freak out when this team struggles some early. In the end, I think things are going to turn out just fine.

I think the reason Rak played the middle with Coleman (at least part of the time; part of the time he was on the wing), is that being in the center of the zone is like being the middle linebacker on defense or the center on offense in football. You are the guy responsible for calling out the defense, the shooters, the cutters, etc. Forth used to be so good at that. That's why I think Coleman started on the wing. Also to work him, I think, aerobically, since we are still pretty early in the season and have to work on conditioning.

In fairness to the lack of stats, on Twitter it was made clear they were having some major technical difficulties, so as soon as those are sorted I'd assume player/team stats will be vastly improved.

No players stats.

No halftime stats.

It's like we're back at Manley.

I also kept looking to my right for the scoreboard that used to be above the student section. No there. They better put the points per player back up there.

The Post Standard twitter feed said the scoreboards will be working w/stats in the future. Hope they're right. A Pace guy fouled out right after halftime. Maybe the coaches couldn't tell he was in foul trouble

Small crowd. Maybe 5K. Quiet. ...

Nice recap, Tom.

Have wondered for a long time: why does SU announce attendance as tickets sold for all games but use turnstile counts for the exhibitions?

Nice recap, Tom.

Have wondered for a long time: why does SU announce attendance as tickets sold for all games but use turnstile counts for the exhibitions?

Guessing here, but probably because the exhibitions don't count towards the attendance crown.

I hate sports cliches, but it seemed like MCW tried to prove he was the best player on the court instead of just being the best player on the court. First game where he's in that role, hopefully he doesn't try to push on Sunday.

The only thing I took away was that perimeter D needs work and DC can shoot free throws. Can't believe the real season is a week away.

There is work to do with a bunch of the new players, figuring out their roles, working together better as a team, etc. I expect several losses early, we might struggle to score points at times. But the pieces are all here to have a top 10 team and I think they will eventually figure it all out. Be patient, don't freak out when this team struggles some early. In the end, I think things are going to turn out just fine.[/quote]

I tend to agree with you that the defense wont be as good as the last couple years, but I actually believe our offense will be better then last year. We didn't have any consistent shooting last year. Looks like CJ may have added a nice little outside jumper and Cooney and Southerland. We will be able to make teams pay for going 2-3 against us. Playing man may be the bigger issue this year.

I tend to agree with you that the defense wont be as good as the last couple years, but I actually believe our offense will be better then last year. We didn't have any consistent shooting last year. Looks like CJ may have added a nice little outside jumper and Cooney and Southerland. We will be able to make teams pay for going 2-3 against us. Playing man may be the bigger issue this year.[/quote]

The defense is going to look a lot better at the end of the year than it will in the beginning. I think this season we could pull a Louisville: a few What losses early culminating in a BET win and a Final Four. Still, so hard to tell from one exhibition game.

Tom, really nice recap and take on the 1st game. As always, most of your points are spot on. It's uncanny how while reading your post my own perception of the game comes more keenly into focus. Kudos & thanks!

We are going to give up a ton of open 3's. I stopped counting at 14 tonight. If we can't get out on Pace shooters...

We are going to give up a ton of open 3's. I stopped counting at 14 tonight. If we can't get out on Pace shooters...

Might as well cancel the season. :crazy:

Its called a jump-to-conclusions mat...

There were a lot of things not to like about tonight's performance. I was displeased by the turnovers, in particular. But I think that first game "jitters" [with lots of younger players getting their first does of game action] factored a lot into what we saw tonight. I also think that substituting so liberally had a big impact.

Bottom line: MCW needs to settle down a bit, players like Coleman / Rak / Cooney [who didn't play tonight] need to settle in, and the roster overall needs to figure out their roles / niche and stop forcing when they play. Might be some speed bumps along the way, but there was a lot to be excited about, too.

And as far as perimeter defense is concerned, we have unprecedented length at the top of the zone--I like the defensive potential of a one-big / Southerland / Fair back line with Triche / MCW up front. That group will be able to cover a LOT of ground and close out on shooters. They just need to figure things out and gel as a team.

I agree. That McW/Southey/grant/Coleman/baye lineup was goofy long

There were a lot of things not to like about tonight's performance. I was displeased by the turnovers, in particular. But I think that first game "jitters" [with lots of younger players getting their first does of game action] factored a lot into what we saw tonight. I also think that substituting so liberally had a big impact.

Bottom line: MCW needs to settle down a bit, players like Coleman / Rak / Cooney [who didn't play tonight] need to settle in, and the roster overall needs to figure out their roles / niche and stop forcing when they play. Might be some speed bumps along the way, but there was a lot to be excited about, too.

And as far as perimeter defense is concerned, we have unprecedented length at the top of the zone--I like the defensive potential of a one-big / Southerland / Fair back line with Triche / MCW up front. That group will be able to cover a LOT of ground and close out on shooters. They just need to figure things out and gel as a team.
I wouldn't say we have unprecedented length at the top of the zone. In 96 we had Z (6-4), Cipolla (6-6) and Janulis (6-5). Now, length combined with athleticism is a different story.

I wouldn't say we have unprecedented length at the top of the zone. In 96 we had Z (6-4), Cipolla (6-6) and Janulis (6-5). Now, length combined with athleticism is a different story.
Those dudes weren't nearly as "long" as they are today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom