My take | Syracusefan.com

My take

Orangemen

All Conference
The first exhibition is always one of my favorite games of the year. First look at the new squad, first chance to form wildly over reactionary opinions on all the players prospects for the new season.

With that being said...

Christmas- Looked like a different guy mentally than last year. Completely different body language, like he knows he's an integral part of the team now. His offense is not there yet, and he looked a little tentative at times, but also had a great pass to Triche. He's progressing nicely, think we'll have him for at least one more year after this (and he will be really good then).

Coleman- Really like his game. He's got a little AO in him, but he's a lot more athletic. As he develops that low post game, he could become a really special player. I think he'll also be here one more year, but if his inside game comes together quickly, he could be gone.

MCW- A little different than I expected. Looks to be more shoot first than pass first. In fairness, though, that may have been because if he looked at the rim last night, he probably couldn't see the guys who were guarding him they were so short. But he's got a nice offensive game, so that aggression may be a pretty good thing. Not sure if he'll go pro after this year. If he stays aggressive on O, he could put up some pretty big point totals. Scouts love stats, and high point totals could be his ticket out.

Fair- This guy is the backbone of our team. Doesn't demand the ball or spotlight, but he is always there to make a great play. Like how he's expanding his game to the 3 point line, he'll need that for the NBA. It will be interesting to see how much JB lets him take that shot this year. He's no Rautins, but he showed an ability to hit the 3, so we'll see. He's definitely coming back next year, and he will be huge for us.

Triche- Same Triche as before. Not that that is a bad thing. He is what we think he is, and we need him.

Southerland- More or less the same guy. Don't love him at the top of the zone, he's too big to make the quick lateral moves required at that spot. He'll be serviceable, but him or Fair up there could be a problem against some teams. I'm expecting what we saw last year, hopefully the percentages go up.

BMK- Nothing spectacular, but progressing nicely in his career. Having him as a backup is a nice luxury.

Grant- This kid is gonna be a player for us. Add a few pounds, and a years experience, and he will be great. Not sure if he'll get a lot of run this year, but I think he could perform well if he does.

I like this team overall. I don't think that they are better than last years team right now. The press was embarrassingly weak, that will hurt our ability to come back in games. This team could round into something great by the end of the season, but we could take some lumps along the way. Wouldn't shock me to lose next week, though I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't expect to have the same gaudy record as last year, but by the end of the year, this team could be just as good.

Really glad to have college basketball back in my life.

Agree with just about everything except BMK. You could definitely see the difference with a healthy hand last night. He looked very aggressive. He is going to chip in a valuable 10-15 every night.

Agree with just about everything except BMK. You could definitely see the difference with a healthy hand last night. He looked very aggressive. He is going to chip in a valuable 10-15 every night.

Agree, though I thought his hand was healthy last year, too.

He played quite well, looked more comfortable out there than anyone.

Good initial assessment.

MCW reminds me a bit of Z in many ways with an apparent better J, although, I recall Z hitting critical jumpers in some clutch moments his senior year and our run to the FF...so time will tell.

If I see a potential weakness in this team, it will be its overall team speed, especially at the guard level. Our height & length will present obvious mis-matches for many opponents, however, a fast team with quick guards could create matchup difficulties as well as our guards are seemingly slow(er) a foot. I can see MCW getting into frequent foul trouble and that will have a significant impact...just my quick $.02 at the moment...and reserve my right to reassess at a later time. :)

Man, I don't recall Z ever looking for his offense like MCW did last night.

You're accurate in that regard. His mindset/focus was more distribution vs. scorer...he was an excellent passer and dribbler, with very few turnovers. Their builds are similar along with their particular style & dribbling techniques. I think Z was very content being the floor general and distributor of the rock...I see MCW looking to score a lot more...a more me approach if you will...not surprising, I guess, since so many think he'll be in the NBA next year...

Nice write-up, but for the record I believe your thread title is trade marked by Tom. Or at least should be.

Reactions: MCC
Minutes not points

Ha I about fell out my chair reading the 1st post thinking u meant points.

I almost citizen arrested u...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom