My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Bad crowd for a team like this having a season like this. Maybe 23K in the seats. The students again did a terrible job; they barely filled half the lower section assigned to them at tipoff. How can you not come close to filling the lower section for a Big East game? Sad.

Given the small size, the crowd was pretty lively, at least for the brief time early in the game when it was still competitive.

The NA was sung as a duet. The two women that did it did a nice job and were well received. I assume Council broke Douglas' BE career assist record. It was not acknowledged by Mr Excitement.

I was impressed by PC, who brought a sizable contingent (for them) of perhaps 30 people, who sat up in the corner and stood most of the game. Heard them briefly when a PC player got a dunk early. Felt sorry for them. It was a long drive for a game best forgotten immediately.

PC opened in man. After a little struggling early, SU carved it up like a Christmas goose. Almost everyone on the SU team was bigger, stronger and more athletic than the PC player trying to cover them, which made for mismatches. As with the last game, PC opted to leave SU players open, packing their defenders into the paint to take away driving lanes, giving SU players wide open outside shots anytime they wanted them.

This game, SU hurt them from the outside badly. Dirty led the charge, but I think BT and CJ also helped. Dirty is one of those players who when going well, is capable of doing tremendous damage. This was one of those nights. MCW does a great job reading the arrival of JS at the start of a half court possession, and timing a pass to him just as he steps into range for a 3 pointer. There is little time to stop this play, and when JS gets this shot, it is uncanny how often he will hit it.

BT again did a nice job running the offense when MCW was out. My personal highlight of the game was a lop he threw to JS for a power alley oop. It brought down the house. Also finished well, continues to get johnny-on-the-spot points in key spots, another good performance.

MCW was solid, got in the lane and converted regularly, made a lot of good passes and managed the offense really well.

TC got quality minutes in the first half, canned a couple of wild looking shots, got some steals and hands on errant passes and looked good. Nice rebound from a DNP against SHU Saturday.

CJ was solid again, he kills PC inside every game. They have no one to cover him. His defensive rebounding was a key in the game...PC is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in college basketball, but they did not do much damage tonight. It was a team effort to stop this, but no one did a better job here than Carl Junior.

Keita had a quiet game, is perhaps less of an offensive force than any player in the regular rotation than any SU player in recent memory. But he made a lot of good plays on defense, really affected the shots of the undersized PC players inside and was a big contributor. Also got poked in or near the eye, I hope he is okay.

RC had some nice moments. Makes some foolish fouls, lots of mental gaffes where he lets players get to the hoop without challenging them, and mixes in some beautiful blocks and dunks to balance the snafus. Continues to be wildly inconsistent but capable of great things, as he showed in the first PC game.

JG played limited minutes, didn't do a great deal but rebounded and defended well. With PC packing into the paint, this was not a great game for him to show his driving skills.

Eventually PC was forced to switch to the 2-3 zone, which was perhaps even more ineffective than their man. They tried to press as well. This was also not the answer. They ended up making a ton of fouls in the 2nd half, unnecessarily delaying the game and making it hard to watch.

Thought PC gave up late in the 1st half, when SU scored seemingly at will in a frenzy of wide open 3s, unchallenged thunder dunks and uncontested layups. I think at one point SU outscored the Friars 31-4. You rarely see a team completely broken like PC was. It was kind of shocking to see how completely they collapsed.

38 straight wins at home. Not bad. Sets up the Georgetown game nicely as a match up that will be remembered for the ages. I hope the game is even half as good as the pre game hype.

I think it is going to be pretty special.

Bad crowd for a team like this having a season like this. Maybe 23K in the seats. The students again did a terrible job; they barely filled half the lower section assigned to them at tipoff. How can you not come close to filling the lower section for a Big East game? Sad.

Given the small size, the crowd was pretty lively, at least for the brief time early in the game when it was still competitive.

The NA was sung as a duet. The two women that did it did a nice job and were well received. I assume Council broke Douglas' BE career assist record. It was not acknowledged by Mr Excitement.

I was impressed by PC, who brought a sizable contingent (for them) of perhaps 30 people, who sat up in the corner and stood most of the game. Heard them briefly when a PC player got a dunk early. Felt sorry for them. It was a long drive for a game best forgotten immediately.

PC opened in man. After a little struggling early, SU carved it up like a Christmas goose. Almost everyone on the SU team was bigger, stronger and more athletic than the PC player trying to cover them, which made for mismatches. As with the last game, PC opted to leave SU players open, packing their defenders into the paint to take away driving lanes, giving SU players wide open outside shots anytime they wanted them.

This game, SU hurt them from the outside badly. Dirty led the charge, but I think BT and CJ also helped. Dirty is one of those players who when going well, is capable of doing tremendous damage. This was one of those nights. MCW does a great job reading the arrival of JS at the start of a half court possession, and timing a pass to him just as he steps into range for a 3 pointer. There is little time to stop this play, and when JS gets this shot, it is uncanny how often he will hit it.

BT again did a nice job running the offense when MCW was out. My personal highlight of the game was a lop he threw to JS for a power alley oop. It brought down the house. Also finished well, continues to get johnny-on-the-spot points in key spots, another good performance.

MCW was solid, got in the lane and converted regularly, made a lot of good passes and managed the offense really well.

TC got quality minutes in the first half, canned a couple of wild looking shots, got some steals and hands on errant passes and looked good. Nice rebound from a DNP against SHU Saturday.

CJ was solid again, he kills PC inside every game. They have no one to cover him. His defensive rebounding was a key in the game...PC is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in college basketball, but they did not do much damage tonight. It was a team effort to stop this, but no one did a better job here than Carl Junior.

Keita had a quiet game, is perhaps less of an offensive force than any player in the regular rotation than any SU player in recent memory. But he made a lot of good plays on defense, really affected the shots of the undersized PC players inside and was a big contributor. Also got poked in or near the eye, I hope he is okay.

RC had some nice moments. Makes some foolish fouls, lots of mental gaffes where he lets players get to the hoop without challenging them, and mixes in some beautiful blocks and dunks to balance the snafus. Continues to be wildly inconsistent but capable of great things, as he showed in the first PC game.

JG played limited minutes, didn't do a great deal but rebounded and defended well. With PC packing into the paint, this was not a great game for him to show his driving skills.

Eventually PC was forced to switch to the 2-3 zone, which was perhaps even more ineffective than their man. They tried to press as well. This was also not the answer. They ended up making a ton of fouls in the 2nd half, unnecessarily delaying the game and making it hard to watch.

Thought PC gave up late in the 1st half, when SU scored seemingly at will in a frenzy of wide open 3s, unchallenged thunder dunks and uncontested layups. I think at one point SU outscored the Friars 31-4. You rarely see a team completely broken like PC was. It was kind of shocking to see how completely they collapsed.

38 straight wins at home. Not bad. Sets up the Georgetown game nicely as a match up that will be remembered for the ages. I hope the game is even half as good as the pre game hype.

Good recap and good to see you before the game!

How many tubas?

Here, here!

Nice write up, Tomcat!

The students again did a terrible job; they barely filled half the lower section assigned to them at tipoff. How can you not come close to filling the lower section for a Big East game? Sad.

I think the athletic administration needs to look at this. Find out why the students aren't coming. Cost? Bad marketing? Or is the current generation just not that much into intercollegiate athletics?

Always an excellent recap. Students support is a joke this year. I can not wait for Saturday, biggest game in dome in a long time.

Loved the energy with the rebounds! It seemed like we got a lot, but don't know the stats.

Students will be camping out for the beginning tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom