My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Small crowd. Hard to hazard a guess but if you twist my arm (hey, that hurts!) I think it was around 10K actually in the seats. Really small turnout by the students after the extraordinary turnout for Fordham. Even the SSS was down in size, from 7 tubas to 2. Lastly, no dance team. The cheerleaders were there though and it was quiet enough that you could easily hear their cheers from the 3rd deck.

The SSS played the NA. Did a servicable job but no spectacular notes were hit and no glass surfaces vibrated violently.

To my surprise, SU opened in man to man. Also much to my surprise, the man was effective...really effective. SU rarely does a good job playing man, especially against undersized quick teams. In the second half, SU played the 2-3, which was also very effective. Even the press they used for brief periods did well. Fab Melo at one point caused a turnover 3 consecutive times down the court playing against someone who effectively was a 6'6 small forward. Amazing.

SU was also very effective on the offensive side of the court. moving the ball well against the undermanned Jaspers, consistently getting quality shots. It was one of those games where a traditional half court offense was rarely run, as SU beat Manhattan down the court all game long and had dozens of barely contested layups and dunks. The Jaspers looked quite miserable. I don't know what league they play in but they have to be a strong candidate for last place. That was just ghastly.

The most notable stretch of the game occurred at the start of the second half, when with the crowd impatiently standing and clapping, SU was unable to score a basket from the field until somewhere around the 13:20 mark. They missed a few shots early but after that, they were constantly thwarted from scoring a basket by Jasper desperation fouls. They made something like 14 fouls in the first 7 minutes of the 2nd half. Crazy. This evil strategy forced many a middle aged Syracusan to sit down and rest their weary and trembling legs before SU scored. Those b@stards!

Today, I think everyone except maybe Scoop and Mook played well, so the haters are going to have to dig deep to find someone or something to complain about. Good to see Triche play well again. JS really did well...best stretch of basketball I have seen from him since that exhibition game he scored a bunch of points when he was a frosh. He did a lot of things well but I was especially impressed by his passing and unselfishness.

Rak continues to look better at C than PF. Not comfortable forcing the basket, does a nice job getting position down low when at the 5. He is stealing time from Keita at C right now...kind of a shame because Keita does a very serviceable job when he is out there. But such is life on a team with some quality depth.

Scoop was benched for extended periods...that decision early to throw a difficult pass to the trailer on a fast break behind his back was not well received...he knew he was out and was on his way to the bench before anyone called his name. He is a perplexing player...hard not to like, hard to understand and support fully. Not good for a 5th year senior fighting for PT to pull a stunt like that. But that is the way Scoop rolls, and the way he has always rolled, for better or for worse.

When Scoop was out, JB went with DW and BT in the backcourt together for a long time. BT played point, which tells me DW is no likely to play point this season except in emergencies (when MCW is in, he has played point exclusively). For the record, the 2 played together very well, shared the ball nicely and showed some chemistry that was lacking last season.

The whole team played pretty unselfish tonight. They shared the ball well and made the extra pass. Best chemistry I have seen from this team so far. Good to see.

No TC again. No surprise on that front.

Good description of Scoop - guess they were right on with the PS cover.

Majority played well, hopefully they come back tomorrow with more of the same.

I thought for sure you would mention the Manhattan player who is an amputee. Pretty amazing.

There may be better teams out there but none more athletic.

Triche and Waiters looked really good...and the team had a flow that has been lacking...Waiters passed to Triche and Triche to Waiters and both got everyone involved...best all around guard play of the year so far

They got quite careless in the second half in the zone. If you're up 40, play the walk-ons at full speed instead of encouraging the regulars to develop lazy habits.

Fun game to watch. But we so overmatched Manhattan that everything was in transition the whole game. We never had to run a half court offense which is where we always have trouble. So while it was fun and there were lots of positives, I'm not getting carried away with it.

The upside: 3 pt Field Goal %/Fabs Mobility,Southerland overall game/Blocked shots/Going for loose Balls and last but not least Foul Shooting %

The behind the back pass by Scoop and subsequent trip to the bench was reminsicent of Cliff Warwell's first trip down the court as an Orangeman

Thanks Tom.

On a side note - shame how Manhattan and Fordham are in the crapper now. Those were good teams at one point. I assume Iona also sucks. Too bad.

Sitrus was small because the NIT limited the size of the band to a travel size band. They weren't treating it as a home game, but as a tournament game.

Sitrus was small because the NIT limited the size of the band to a travel size band. They weren't treating it as a home game, but as a tournament game.

I missed the full sound, but it may have been worth it since we didn't have to sit through the train wreck that is the dance team.

Thanks Tom.

On a side note - shame how Manhattan and Fordham are in the crapper now. Those were good teams at one point. I assume Iona also sucks. Too bad.

Iona does not suck. They'll likely win the MAAC this year and is a strong candidate to win a game or two in the NCAA Tournament from the dreaded 12-seed range. They have three high D1 players, and came within six or eight of the Orange last year.

CBS reported that TC will officially redshirt fwiw. I know good posters here alluded to and reported it, but it hit the mainstream tonight.

The behind the back pass by Scoop and subsequent trip to the bench was reminsicent of Cliff Warwell's first trip down the court as an Orangeman

Ha! A few possessions earlier he lost the dribble entering the paint and turned it over. He needs to start fast and get the team going. He still looks a little heavy to me.

This evil strategy forced many a middle aged Syracusan to sit down and rest their weary and trembling legs before SU scored. Those b@stards!

I snorted my coffee with that remark! I was there and was convinced that the longer we clapped, the more tension our team felt. Other posters have noted this as well. It was embarrassing! And weary-ifying.

I loved our team's fast hands. They moved so fast that their hands looked like blurs out there. I really think those defensive hands vibrated so fast they entered one of those quantum physics dimensions!

Iona does not suck. They'll likely win the MAAC this year and is a strong candidate to win a game or two in the NCAA Tournament from the dreaded 12-seed range. They have three high D1 players, and came within six or eight of the Orange last year.

Good - still hope in those programs.

LOL - Crazy Cliff Warwell. If I'm not mistaken, he was trying to pass to Reggie Powell.

I really enjoyed watching this game. Like you said, not alot for the haters to find...

I was surprised JB was less than enthused about the defense in the post game presser. I thought our D for 95% of the game was very good. It is nearly impossible right now for teams to score in the lane against us.

I really enjoyed watching this game. Like you said, not alot for the haters to find...

I was surprised JB was less than enthused about the defense in the post game presser. I thought our D for 95% of the game was very good. It is nearly impossible right now for teams to score in the lane against us.

A ton of lapses on the perimeter. Several of those Manhattan threes were essentially uncontested lay-ups. Didn't see too much to complain about defensively from the veterans, though - most of the trouble came from the freshman and sophomores and can (at least for now) be written off as learning on the job.

A ton of lapses on the perimeter. Several of those Manhattan threes were essentially uncontested lay-ups. Didn't see too much to complain about defensively from the veterans, though - most of the trouble came from the freshman and sophomores and can (at least for now) be written off as learning on the job.
Came at the end too. When a team shoots 30 three pointers, some are going to go in (they only made 10).

LOL - Crazy Cliff Warwell. If I'm not mistaken, he was trying to pass to Reggie Powell.

Can't recall who he was passing to...I'm ASSUMING it was another guard but I really don't remember. He threw a behind the back pass while unguarded and bringing the ball up. My memory is that it was his first action as an Orangeman. BAM! Boeheim was off the bench and Warwell was hustled to the primo seat next to JB where he got a few well-chosen words from the coach.

Warwell was going to be the next Sweet D. Total loose cannon but fun to watch. I think he was from Candor in the southern tier. Transferred somewhere...don't recall where.

What a frosh class...Louie, Bouie, Cohen, and Warwell

Came at the end too. When a team shoots 30 three pointers, some are going to go in (they only made 10).

Well, sure. But it makes the shot a whole lot easier when the defensive guard assigned to your area of the court is down on the low block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom