My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Colgate is an RPI bomb. I know they're an area team but for crying out loud they are the worst team we play every year. Can't we get this dog off the schedule and replace with a merely mediocre team that isn't like a 300 RPI.

Some fans on the board have posted often about how terrible it is that we're leaving the Big East, and how it shows how little respect the current administration has for tradition. They'd do well to look at this old rivalry game that stopped being a rivalry 60 years ago. Because this is one face of tradition - the continuation of something well past the point that it makes any logistical sense simply because nobody wants to put the effort in to stop it.

I couldn't go to this game, and found it was damn near impossible to find anyone that wanted tickets to it, even for free. Because games like this are less entertaining than watching paint dry. But we play it every year because it's a traditional game.

I do think this was the first game in SU history (at least that I can remember) where the walk-ons got subbed in for by different walk-ons. I can rembember the days of Elimu Nelson getting to mop up the last 60 seconds and not having to worry about getting pulled.
Happened last year too against Colgate I believe

Some fans on the board have posted often about how terrible it is that we're leaving the Big East, and how it shows how little respect the current administration has for tradition. They'd do well to look at this old rivalry game that stopped being a rivalry 60 years ago. Because this is one face of tradition - the continuation of something well past the point that it makes any logistical sense simply because nobody wants to put the effort in to stop it.

I couldn't go to this game, and found it was damn near impossible to find anyone that wanted tickets to it, even for free. Because games like this are less entertaining than watching paint dry. But we play it every year because it's a traditional game.

True. Trivia Question: which team has the most wins against Syracuse? Answer: Colgate (with 45) Penn State is second with 43, btw. Given that we are 46-0 against them on our current streak, it speaks to how heated of a rivalry this must have been during the Coolidge administration.

Not a whole lot to draw from in this one, but it was good to see that the team kept their focus and took care of business. I don't think it's a coincidence that Fab didn't look like the Fab we have been treated to in the previous games though.

Not a whole lot to draw from in this one, but it was good to see that the team kept their focus and took care of business. I don't think it's a coincidence that Fab didn't look like the Fab we have been treated to in the previous games though.
Why not? Fab was too aggressive today, took some stupid fouls, but played well besides that. Most of our points were in transition, and we hit so many shots he couldn't clean up the offensive boards. Colgate's misses were long boards to our guards. I said once it started to one of my friends this isn't a "Fab game". Fab can't be aggressive against a team this bad.

Nice report as always. Your analysis of Colgate was eerily similar to your analysis of Colgate last year. Did you copy and paste:) They are just awful.
I didn't...I never save old posts. But yes, I am going to have a similar reaction to similar situations. The SU Colgate football series, which was once one of the great rivalries in college football, ended because Colgate got so bad the games became a farce. The same thing might need to be done with basketball. They didn't have a single player on their team that was a legitimate D1 player...there was at least one major issue with all of them. Size, quickness, athletic ability...not much of it to be found with their players.

One other thing about the game...when the traditional running of the flags occurred around the 4 minute mark, only the C, U, S and E flags were run. The S flag was left on the ground. It is of course much bigger than the other flags and it takes a strong dude to hoist it, sprint around the court and then run on the court and wave it triumphantly. We either were short our strongest male cheerleader or perhaps the cheerleading squad sat the S flag as a form of silent protest against the decision to put Bernie Fine on leave.

True. Trivia Question: which team has the most wins against Syracuse? Answer: Colgate (with 45) Penn State is second with 43, btw. Given that we are 46-0 against them on our current streak, it speaks to how heated of a rivalry this must have been during the Coolidge administration.

It's 119-45, so it was 73-45 after Colgate beat our 63-67 on 2/24/62

RPI is not something we're going to have to worry about too much this year. We'll be fighting for a 1 or 2 seed slot all year long. RPI rarely factors into those equations.

Agree about the RPI angle, but overall agreed with his point of getting Colgate off the schedule. They don't travel fans, they don't generate a lot of interest in our fans, and they stink. Why are they still on the sched year after year after year?

This isn't ND/Navy in football.

Cheers,
Neil

But we play it every year because it's a traditional game.
And, to give Colgate a nice check that helps support their program.Part of being a good neighbor.
Better than bringing in a comparable team from out-of-state and having them take the money home.

Agreed. I'm all for keeping any NYS teams on sched even if they stink. If this was a team from Mass somewhere we should get it off.

I think we should play as many NYS schools as possible every year. In fact I want to see more of Manhattan, Columbia, Cornell, etc. for early year exhibitions/cupcakes. Great way to promote bball in NY.

As an undergrad of Colgate and a grad degree from SU I think the series is great. SU gets a guaranteed home game to offer their season ticketholders and it is a plus for Colgate as well. Nice to support our upstate neighbors and keep the tradition going. It's not like Boeheim is going to start scheduling a lot of home and away games with top 10 teams. Look at schools like UNC, they play several smaller instate Carolina colleges, probably for the same reasons. Also the early season games are great for our younger players to get valuable playing time.

As an undergrad of Colgate and a grad degree from SU I think the series is great. SU gets a guaranteed home game to offer their season ticketholders and it is a plus for Colgate as well. Nice to support our upstate neighbors and keep the tradition going. It's not like Boeheim is going to start scheduling a lot of home and away games with top 10 teams. Look at schools like UNC, they play several smaller instate Carolina colleges, probably for the same reasons. Also the early season games are great for our younger players to get valuable playing time.
Your points are all well taken...there are good reasons for continuing the series. If we drop Colgate, they will be replaced by someone like Binghamton or Maine. If we have to play bad teams in meaningless games, which we apparently do, it does make sense to play Colgate, Cornell, Canisius, St Bona, etc. Upstate schools we share a history with. I just wish Colgate's program was more along the lines of Cornell or Bona. They are so bad right now the games are hard to watch.

Why not? Fab was too aggressive today, took some stupid fouls, but played well besides that. Most of our points were in transition, and we hit so many shots he couldn't clean up the offensive boards. Colgate's misses were long boards to our guards. I said once it started to one of my friends this isn't a "Fab game". Fab can't be aggressive against a team this bad.

Fab should always be aggressive, he just has to learn how to approach where to go with his aggression. You can be aggressive without making silly fouls and those type of fouls will kill him in the big east.

Agree about the RPI angle, but overall agreed with his point of getting Colgate off the schedule. They don't travel fans, they don't generate a lot of interest in our fans, and they stink. Why are they still on the sched year after year after year?

This isn't ND/Navy in football.

Cheers,
Neil

Colgate had more fans there than just about any other non-conference team we'll play, I think. Some scattered throughout, and a noisy section behind us in 306 or 307.

As am I, so I hope everyone can forgive my bias.

It's great to give a guarantee game to another Upstate program, and it's good to give a school with a nice number of local alumni an opportunity to play at the Dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom