My Thoughts......(beyond crediting the Mayans - see other thread) | Syracusefan.com

My Thoughts......(beyond crediting the Mayans - see other thread)

newmexicuse

All Conference
I definitely had a bad feeling early after we took & could not extend the 10 point lead.

Shockingly, the box score showed us with more O boards & total boards then they had...it sure didn't feel that way.

I really had no complaint with the reffing except for the BMK call, but that could have been the game decider. Other than that, the bad calls seemed fairly equal to me. I actually thought we were more the beneficiaries of bad calls in the first half.

There were probably about ten times when we were fouled very near the hoop & didn't finish for an and one & then we go to the line & only come away with a singleton. Guys have got to maintain better focus after contact & make the traditional three point play.

Kudos to them - they played terrific.

I will give CJ an A+ and BMK a B+ - everybody else gets a C+ or worse in terms of individual grades. CJ was simply fantastic - great energy and efficiency. BMK at this point is our best player at the five - he is actually showing better hands and a bit of an ability to finish.

I was very disappointed to see the lack of senior leadership from Brandon and James in a close game. Neither one seemed to want the ball or tried to take charge. Brandon was hot early & then got the dropsies a couple of time when the game was close. We need James to take more than seven shots (including only two trey attempts, but at least he wasn't hoisting them up if he didn't have good looks).

Plenty said about MCW - no point in my piling on.

I did not care for Jimmy's coaching today:

a. I though DC2 got the hooks way too quickly - he could have helped on the glass & maybe drawing some fouls in their bigs. Taking him out too soon in the second half showed panic by the coach & that seemed to filter down to everybody else.

b. I thought Jimmy should have recognized that MCW was taking too much upon himself and let Brandon play the point for a few minutes to calm him down.

c. The team did not seem to learn the Detroit lesson - they came out too over-confident & believing the hype of the ranking. Hopefully this time, lesson will be learned.

d. The Zone was some combination of ineffective and passive - too much reaching & not the right sort of pressure to get TOs. This was just one those games where we have to beat the ancient dead horse & say that a few minutes of man might have changed the tempo. I know Jimmy tries to use the press to that effect, but when the press doesn't work, why not Plan C, especially since the press is not too likely to be consistently effective against better teams. ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom