My thoughts on this season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My thoughts on this season

I’ve always preferred college football over the NFL (especially since I don’t watch sports on Sundays) but didn’t have my own team. For the longest time I was under the impression that you had to go to your team’s school or have some other type of direct connection.

I thought this because some people unfortunately think like this; even now many people ask if we went to Syracuse and when I say no they ask why we’re fans. This is an odd phenomenon that I think only happens in the Northeast. I now go on to explain to them that many, if not most college football fans aren’t alumni and that both groups need each other and collectively come together as one fanbase.

So finally I decided I’m going to pick Syracuse and have them be my team, no matter what. It’s the regional team even though I’m two hours East. It’s upstate New York and FBS so Syracuse is the natural choice for us due to geography. Basically I picked them just like how most people pick their NFL team.

And then last year we went to the Dome for the first time, overtime loss against Wake. After (heck even during) that game we were transformed into what I would call true fans. I say that because our connection to Syracuse became more organic. My wife asked how much season tickets were on the way home.

We went to a second game that year (win against BC) and put our deposit down for ST as soon as it came out.

Now we’re obsessed.
dude that's just awesome, on behalf of the "townie" group of fans very happy to welcome you (and the Mrs.!) to the club!

Last edited:
I’ve always preferred college football over the NFL (especially since I don’t watch sports on Sundays) but didn’t have my own team. For the longest time I was under the impression that you had to go to your team’s school or have some other type of direct connection.

I thought this because some people unfortunately think like this; even now many people ask if we went to Syracuse and when I say no they ask why we’re fans. This is an odd phenomenon that I think only happens in the Northeast. I now go on to explain to them that many, if not most college football fans aren’t alumni and that both groups need each other and collectively come together as one fanbase.

So finally I decided I’m going to pick Syracuse and have them be my team, no matter what. It’s the regional team even though I’m two hours East. It’s upstate New York and FBS so Syracuse is the natural choice for us due to geography. Basically I picked them just like how most people pick their NFL team.

And then last year we went to the Dome for the first time, overtime loss against Wake. After (heck even during) that game we were transformed into what I would call true fans. I say that because our connection to Syracuse became more organic. My wife asked how much season tickets were on the way home.

We went to a second game that year (win against BC) and put our deposit down for ST as soon as it came out.

Now we’re obsessed.
Interesting and a great post. Kind of the same thing happened to me when I was eleven. I also was obsessed. I am still obsessed and I will be 71 in March. That obsession doesn't go away either. As a matter of fact it grows. After the season ends, it seems like an eternity until the spring game. It seems even longer until camp opens around August first. Labor Day weekend gets here slowly and finally, you are at the first tailgate. Then the season goes by way to fast and the good thing is, it starts all over again. Thank you for being an Orange fan!

Dave tailgates in the same group as I do. Yes he is truly this upbeat and positive. He even gave up a finger to save a football from a bus.
Edit: Broke a finger.

Last edited:
Dave tailgates in the same group as I do. Yes he is truly this upbeat and positive. He even gave up a finger to save a football from a bus. It had to be amputated right?
I broke the middle finger on my left hand keeping the ball out of the road, it didn’t have to be amputated though. Someone else in our group had a work related accident the same week and lost their hand so that may be where the confusion is. In fact my cast is off now and it’s just buddy taped, seems to be healing at a decent rate so far.

Can’t wait til next season, we miss you guys already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom