My Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

My Thoughts

cuseinseattle

All American
What a huge win. If you could take this feeling and bottle it up and sell it. You would have more money than Jeff Bezos and CTO combined.

The biggest take away I had from last night it that I didn't feel like we played out of our minds. I mean OB went 3 for 5 from deep which probably doesn't happen all the time but he really struggled in other areas. We got no point from Marek and Eli didn't score in the 2nd half. Pascal played great and got 18 boards. If Pascal/BS can combine for like 8-9 boards though I think this effort could be replicated in a lot of way. That stretch where Frank was good really helped. If he can score like 12-13 points to go with what we are getting from Tyus and Eli we should be a different team. I thought the ball movement was good and we were getting good shots which was the reason we shot better. If Tyus can focus on driving and be aggresive and Frank can get in the lane like last year I think this team can really be good.

If hitting an 80 foot shot at the buzzer, going 70% from 3 in the first half and Chukwu getting 18 boards isn't "out of our minds" I don't know what is. I really believe Duke lost this game by taking far too may 3's when they have us on the ropes on the interior. That was bad coaching by Coach K. I always seem to give Coach K so much credit over the years but the reality is a case could be made that his team underperforms most years in relation to the amazing recruits he gets.

If hitting an 80 foot shot at the buzzer, going 70% from 3 in the first half and Chukwu getting 18 boards isn't "out of our minds" I don't know what is. I really believe Duke lost this game by taking far too may 3's when they have us on the ropes on the interior. That was bad coaching by Coach K. I always seem to give Coach K so much credit over the years but the reality is a case could be made that his team underperforms most years in relation to the amazing recruits he gets.
Chukwu played great but if we could have gotten more minutes from Marek and BS they would have gotten some of them. Against Clemson for example we got 4 boards each from Marek and BS. The 3 quarters court shot has no impact on the end of the game. It was a good shot before halftime and everthing but didn't play a big role. We wouldn't have lost without it.

Lot of meat on the bone, as Dino would say.

Now there'll be nights when they miss a lot of those threes and lose to a crappy team (again). But in general I think more often than not Hughes will be able to play a more complete game (and remember, he's still 17 games in - I think his best is yet to come), Dolezaj will offer some scoring, and Brissett maybe will improve? Plus Frank is on the mend; he might start shooting like he did last year in league play.

I don’t know if others talked about this in the game thread but JB had our guards playing the zone well behind the 3-point line, basically daring their shooters to knock down 3s in order to beat us. (We did try to contest their better shooters like O’Connell once he got hot.) It was a pick your poison situation. We wanted to clog the lane to stop Zion and Barrett from getting too many interior points. Zion racked them up down there but he had to take 30 shots to do it.

and zion missed the ft in regulation to go up 1 . bet he's thinking about that one.

Lot of meat on the bone, as Dino would say.

Now there'll be nights when they miss a lot of those threes and lose to a crappy team (again). But in general I think more often than not Hughes will be able to play a more complete game (and remember, he's still 17 games in - I think his best is yet to come), Dolezaj will offer some scoring, and Brissett maybe will improve? Plus Frank is on the mend; he might start shooting like he did last year in league play.
I think Hughes exhausted himself in the 1st half. Over amped maybe with his first action in Cameron. Might have drained his energy in the first half, mentally.

Three pointers were not dropping for Hughes in the 2nd half but he had a nice hustle layup.

I think Hughes exhausted himself in the 1st half. Over amped maybe with his first action in Cameron. Might have drained his energy in the first half, mentally.

Mentally - his head hit the floor, HARD.
He probably was feeling a little loopy in the 2nd half due to getting his bell rung like that.

He did have that great drive off the OT tip to get us a lead, but otherwise he seemed pretty out of sorts after halftime.

Chukwu played great but if we could have gotten more minutes from Marek and BS they would have gotten some of them. Against Clemson for example we got 4 boards each from Marek and BS. The 3 quarters court shot has no impact on the end of the game. It was a good shot before halftime and everthing but didn't play a big role. We wouldn't have lost without it.
I can agree with all your points except the last one regarding Hughes' 3 point shot had no impact on the end of the game. Without those 3 points, we would have lost in regulation. OT would have never happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom