my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
Other than the snafu on the Quad by the admin yesterday was a great spring day on the hill.

What a win by the Lacrosse team. Playing from behind in front of that crowd and in front of one of our all-time greats they pull it out. Absolutely fantastic play to tie the game. What a win.

As to the Spring game I have been attending spring games and watching practice my entire life. I used to shag balls when Ben was coaching. I'm sure i stood next to many of you by the fence trying to get a glimpse of the team. I was at the practices prior to the beating we gave to Ped State and new the minute he entered the game that it was going to be the fly pattern.

With that as a background yesterday was the best spring game I have ever attended. To see 10k plus in the stands after watching 9k cheer on our lacrosse team gave me a great sense of hope and pride.
Syracuse fans love Syracuse sports and their school. It is special. Outside of Penn State we are the only Eastern football school. Period there isn't another one with our history, accomplishments or Brand.
That Brand unfortunately has been tarnished by an administration that didn't get much right since coach P was let go.
Sure, we have had our moments, but they have been few and far between. Doug did his best but wasn't supported and left in a bitter and spiteful way that left the program in a bad spot. Shaf tried hard but just didn't have the mustard to make it happen. Gerg has passed hopefully riding a beautiful little train in heaven, so I won't go there. Dino was a combination of savior, preacher, Mr. Rogers and yes, a bit of a carpet bagger.

And now Fran Brown. Fran Brown from Camden NJ, born to a woman only in the fact that she bore a child but by age still a young girl. Born in a city that defines rough and tough. Fran Brown the guy who is the best recruiter in the world had the balls and chops to pick up the phone and recruit JW to the point that he Landed a 5 star Job because of who he is. The fact that he landed the job, was given the reigns to the most important Sports program at Syracuse University at what could be argued is the most important time in our programs modern history says it all. Not just about him but about JW. Two guys from completely different planets connecting and because of that connection the one that Fran made he is now our Head coach. Thank God! because if his recruiting success, the staff that he has assembled, the return of our Alums, the repairing of damage and healing of our football family, plus what i witnessed yesterday is any indication of what we can expect it is nothing short of a miracle for our program. Strong words for sure but if you have been around as long as i have and many others on here it is absolutely crystal clear that we not only have the right coach but we have an individual that will change our community.

Im not going to get into what i saw on the field other than to say i havnt seen this much talent and size since P left.

We look the part of an extremely talented football team. I expect Fran to land one more QB as our second string QB situation is our Achilles. But other than that, we look loaded.

Shout of to JW for having the stones to hire Fran and to the group of individuals most especially
Big John who has stepped up to support Fran and the guys.

Go Orange!!!

Other than the snafu on the Quad by the admin yesterday was a great spring day on the hill.

What a win by the Lacrosse team. Playing from behind in front of that crowd and in front of one of our all-time greats they pull it out. Absolutely fantastic play to tie the game. What a win.

As to the Spring game I have been attending spring games and watching practice my entire life. I used to shag balls when Ben was coaching. I'm sure i stood next to many of you by the fence trying to get a glimpse of the team. I was at the practices prior to the beating we gave to Ped State and new the minute he entered the game that it was going to be the fly pattern.

With that as a background yesterday was the best spring game I have ever attended. To see 10k plus in the stands after watching 9k cheer on our lacrosse team gave me a great sense of hope and pride.
Syracuse fans love Syracuse sports and their school. It is special. Outside of Penn State we are the only Eastern football school. Period there isn't another one with our history, accomplishments or Brand.
That Brand unfortunately has been tarnished by an administration that didn't get much right since coach P was let go.
Sure, we have had our moments, but they have been few and far between. Doug did his best but wasn't supported and left in a bitter and spiteful way that left the program in a bad spot. Shaf tried hard but just didn't have the mustard to make it happen. Gerg has passed hopefully riding a beautiful little train in heaven, so I won't go there. Dino was a combination of savior, preacher, Mr. Rogers and yes, a bit of a carpet bagger.

And now Fran Brown. Fran Brown from Camden NJ, born to a woman only in the fact that she bore a child but by age still a young girl. Born in a city that defines rough and tough. Fran Brown the guy who is the best recruiter in the world had the balls and chops to pick up the phone and recruit JW to the point that he Landed a 5 star Job because of who he is. The fact that he landed the job, was given the reigns to the most important Sports program at Syracuse University at what could be argued is the most important time in our programs modern history says it all. Not just about him but about JW. Two guys from completely different planets connecting and because of that connection the one that Fran made he is now our Head coach. Thank God! because if his recruiting success, the staff that he has assembled, the return of our Alums, the repairing of damage and healing of our football family, plus what i witnessed yesterday is any indication of what we can expect it is nothing short of a miracle for our program. Strong words for sure but if you have been around as long as i have and many others on here it is absolutely crystal clear that we not only have the right coach but we have an individual that will change our community.

Im not going to get into what i saw on the field other than to say i havnt seen this much talent and size since P left.

We look the part of an extremely talented football team. I expect Fran to land one more QB as our second string QB situation is our Achilles. But other than that, we look loaded.

Shout of to JW for having the stones to hire Fran and to the group of individuals most especially

Go Orange!!!
Wonderful summary, this could be another fabulous time in Syracuse Football
history. And just in time to get a seat at the final table.

Go Orange!!!
This, my friend is One of the greatest, if not the greatest, post I’ve ever read on this board and site. Thanks for that great perspective, needless to say, I share it.

The gravity and importance of this program to the community, the greater good of the community and its psychological well-being, I don’t think can be overstated.

A successful football team is so good in so many ways, brings in huge revenues to both the academic institution itself, the city and it’s businesses, and the result is it raises the bar on everything else attitudinal and otherwise.

I think for many of us, this is one of the biggest aspects and reasons of being a close and passionate supporter, not just for the personal part of it with own families/friends and what not sharing unique special times together, but for the hoped for greater community intangible good will a successful program creates and for tangible benefits as well.

I hope and pray that things continue to trend in the direction it seems that they are because it’ll be great for all the reasons mentioned. Thanks for taking the time for those insights, great post.

Last edited:
This, my friend is One of the greatest, if not the greatest, post I’ve ever read on this board and site. Thanks for that great perspective, needless to say, I share it.

The gravity and importance of this program to the community and its psychological well-being, I don’t think can be overstated.

A successful football team is so good in so many ways, brings in huge revenues to both the academic institution itself, the city and it’s businesses, and the result is it raises the bar on everything else attitudinal and otherwise.

I think for many of us, this is one of the biggest aspects and reasons of being a close and passionate supporter, not just for the personal part of it with own families/friends and what not sharing unique special times together, but for the hoped for greater community intangible good will a successful program creates and for tangible benefits as well.

I hope and pray that things continue to trend in the direction it seems that they are because it’ll be great for all the reasons mentioned. Thanks for taking the time for those insights, great post.
Thank you Syracuse sports have been a part of my life since I was born. My 90 year old Dad saw the Boss on Thursday, danced his arse off and spent Saturday cheering on the Lax team and checking out Fran and the boys.
I'm in the process of introducing my Dad to Fran as they both share a strong sense of Faith and community. When I was little and my Dad donated time to helping out at some community centers for the disadvantaged in Syracuse with dear friend of his who was a Doc from the Phillipines at Upstate and I just know my Dad and Fran will connect. Hope he likes Doug's and Cornell Chicken:)
Exciting times.

I had two great conversations yesterday with two 86 year olds. One in Club 44 who’s been coming to games since he graduated in 1960. He had questions about his seating for next year. He’s in great shape at 86. He was with another guy who might be older. Still has season tickets for both football and basketball. During the football game, I sat next to another 86 year old. We talked throughout the entire game. Great understanding of the game and is really excited about next season. He brought his own roster and was checking out all the new numbers. I felt like I was reading a history book about SU football. He talked about coming to a game and all the hype was about Gale Sayers and Floyd Little went off for four touchdowns. Great day yesterday!

Thank you Syracuse sports have been a part of my life since I was born. My 90 year old Dad saw the Boss on Thursday, danced his arse off and spent Saturday cheering on the Lax team and checking out Fran and the boys.
I'm in the process of introducing my Dad to Fran as they both share a strong sense of Faith and community. When I was little and my Dad donated time to helping out at some community centers for the disadvantaged in Syracuse with dear friend of his who was a Doc from the Phillipines at Upstate and I just know my Dad and Fran will connect. Hope he likes Doug's and Cornell Chicken:)
Exciting times.
Ever meet anybody who doesn’t love Cornell chicken. That’s a given and Doug’s is the best also

I felt like I was reading a history book about SU football. He talked about coming to a game and all the hype was about Gale Sayers and Floyd Little went off for four touchdowns. Great day yesterday!

That was my first game, as a 5 year old. My dad and I walked from Kellogg St. to the game. Route 81 was then under construction. I related to Floyd, because he was like the smallest guy on the field, and obviously bow-legged. I had to wear braces on my legs because I was pigeon toed until only a couple years before I went to that first game. Saw them 3 times that season - Kansas, UCLA and Pitt. A fan for life was born that fall.

Im not going to get into what i saw on the field other than to say i havnt seen this much talent and size since P left.post

Go Orange!!!
Wonderful post - thanks for posting.
For me, Syracuse football was a source of pride. I was an athletic sports crazy 14 year old when we won the NC. Football was the one sport that did not have any organized leagues - baseball and basketball but not football. All we had was sandlot so all of our autumn attention was on SU football. The newspaper was the main source of information as TV games were sparse and mostly Oklahoma, Notre Dame etc. I followed everything I could read about SU football and couldn't wait for the paper to arrive.

I haven't posted much since HCFB was hired partly because I couldn't believe how lucky we got and partly because didn't want to jinx anything! The Dino beginning was exciting and raised hopes before falling prey to poor recruiting. This feels different.
The argument that SU is too small,. a private school, has too much cold and snow making recruiting impossible has pretty much been discredited.

I can't believe what has been accomplished in such as short time. Fran Brown has wisdom beyond his years.
Go Cuse!

Wonderful post - thanks for posting.
For me, Syracuse football was a source of pride. I was an athletic sports crazy 14 year old when we won the NC. Football was the one sport that did not have any organized leagues - baseball and basketball but not football. All we had was sandlot so all of our autumn attention was on SU football. The newspaper was the main source of information as TV games were sparse and mostly Oklahoma, Notre Dame etc. I followed everything I could read about SU football and couldn't wait for the paper to arrive.

I haven't posted much since HCFB was hired partly because I couldn't believe how lucky we got and partly because didn't want to jinx anything! The Dino beginning was exciting and raised hopes before falling prey to poor recruiting. This feels different.
The argument that SU is too small,. a private school, has too much cold and snow making recruiting impossible has pretty much been discredited.

I can't believe what has been accomplished in such as short time. Fran Brown has wisdom beyond his years.
Go Cuse!

Now this is a beautiful post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom