my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
So much to unpack as all the talking heads like to spout.
My day started at 3 am. Wide awake like I used to be as a kid. Yesterday was one of a handful of SU openers that have been special. I actually can't remember one bigger than yesterday other than the first home game in the Dome and Doug's debut. Each of those filled with hope, filled with promise of a new start of a regeneration of our past glory that many of on this board have been graced to have lived. First thing I checked the weather and felt disappointed. Why, because I wanted Frans first walk to be special. For me other than winning the game his first walk was everything about yesterday.
As i have mentioned I have had an opportunity to get a feel for our new coach and regardless of his other qualities the one thing that I truly believe is that he is invested in our community. He really lives what he says, and he wants to make a difference in the players and in our community. For him its genuine and as we all know he comes from a community that like ours is beat up, down and needs some light. In his way he is really trying to do that.
So, I really wanted Fran to feel the love that he has been pouring out back and seeing the rain and the weather forecast had me bummed.
Three cups of coffee, a jump into the lake a prayer as always that included one for Fran and the kids and Dad and I are off for what we believe was about our 50th SU home game together. Dad 90, going on 70 decked in his gear standing next to me with black clouds touching our heads says, " I think its clearing" and starts laughing his ass off
Into the Car which of course Dad is driving, me in the shotgun position and as we head under the light leaving Skaneateles, I can't begin to tell you all how fortunate I felt.

20 minutes later into Manley with our gang, great chow, a few cold ones we start walking to the Dome in the rain past the cemetery and Dad says" Told you it looked like it was clearing"
Up the hill and as we turned the corner and headed towards the Quad i couldn't believe the crowd lining the path of the walk. It was really something. From Hendricks to the Shoe, "Remember always two taps on the left one" It was packed and yes it stopped raining. Dad and I took our position front row and here comes Fran looking like a model straight out of GQ leading the team. Each of them dressed perfectly all of them feeling the love from the community that they and their coach have poured their hearts into.

There have been a lot of great SU moments in my life, but yesterday's Walk goes down as one of the best ever.
I'm so grateful to God yes God as I truly believe that 2-hour break in the weather yesterday that allowed Fran the kids to feel the love of our community happened because of him and For Fran.
Great Day, Great win, Go Orange!

My day started at 3 am. Wide awake like I used to be as a kid. Yesterday was one of a handful of SU openers that have been special. I actually can't remember one bigger than yesterday other than the first home game in the Dome and Doug's debut. Each of those filled with hope, filled with promise of a new start of a regeneration of our past glory that many of on this board have been graced to have lived. First thing I checked the weather and felt disappointed. Why, because I wanted Frans first walk to be special. For me other than winning the game his first walk was everything about yesterday.
As i have mentioned I have had an opportunity to get a feel for our new coach and regardless of his other qualities the one thing that I truly believe is that he is invested in our community. He really lives what he says, and he wants to make a difference in the players and in our community. For him its genuine and as we all know he comes from a community that like ours is beat up, down and needs some light. In his way he is really trying to do that.
So, I really wanted Fran to feel the love that he has been pouring out back and seeing the rain and the weather forecast had me bummed.
Three cups of coffee, a jump into the lake a prayer as always that included one for Fran and the kids and Dad and I are off for what we believe was about our 50th SU home game together. Dad 90, going on 70 decked in his gear standing next to me with black clouds touching our heads says, " I think its clearing" and starts laughing his ass off
Into the Car which of course Dad is driving, me in the shotgun position and as we head under the light leaving Skaneateles, I can't begin to tell you all how fortunate I felt.

20 minutes later into Manley with our gang, great chow, a few cold ones we start walking to the Dome in the rain past the cemetery and Dad says" Told you it looked like it was clearing"
Up the hill and as we turned the corner and headed towards the Quad i couldn't believe the crowd lining the path of the walk. It was really something. From Hendricks to the Shoe, "Remember always two taps on the left one" It was packed and yes it stopped raining. Dad and I took our position front row and here comes Fran looking like a model straight out of GQ leading the team. Each of them dressed perfectly all of them feeling the love from the community that they and their coach have poured their hearts into.

There have been a lot of great SU moments in my life, but yesterday's Walk goes down as one of the best ever.
I'm so grateful to God yes God as I truly believe that 2-hour break in the weather yesterday that allowed Fran the kids to feel the love of our community happened because of him and For Fran.
Your Dad is 90 and he walks from Manley to the Dome????

PH'n A, that is about as awesome as it gets.

Last few years, we have spent time at some of the finger lakes after bringing our son back up to SU...

This year it was NYCFan's old stomping grounds.

An August morning on a finger lake is about as close to nirvana as it gets.

Your Dad is 90 and he walks from Manley to the Dome????

PH'n A, that is about as awesome as it gets.

Last few years, we have spent time at some of the finger lakes after bringing our son back up to SU...

This year it was NYCFan's old stomping grounds.

An August morning on a finger lake is about as close to nirvana as it gets.
My Grandmother lived to be 107 and wasnt ever really sick. Passed away in her sleep. Dad walks or swims most days. He still works on the camp mowing, trimming, cleaning gutters messing around. Farm kid from NJ who went to SU because his family knew the Dean back then. Dad got to know Jim Brown and some of the football guys and has been a Syracuse fan forever. I'm not sure how old I was at my first game. I think 6 but I was hooked from the start as it was something I could do with my father who worked to keep food on our table. Both my parents worked as my mom had me at 19 and Dad was still in college. We lived in an apartment above the house next to what is now Ace Hardware. Next to the lumber yard and i grew up until 5th grade having my mom cook on a hot plate without a TV. Dad landed a great job and we moved into a real house that Fall. Long story short sports were everything and SU football was at its core. Now all these years later nothing has really changed. Love SU, always have and always will. Its glue for me and our family and friends. I have a sense Fran is special. I certainly hope so because he checks so many boxes for us.
If you get a chance, try to be at one of the pre-games walks it's pretty cool.

Too much love can soften a man. Run defense soft as an 90 year old wiener.

I'm pretty sure Pop could still get his bean snapped if he wanted to:)
Unfortunately I'm speaking from experience. Like Clnt Eastwood I'm trying to keep the old man out.

My Grandmother lived to be 107 and wasnt ever really sick. Passed away in her sleep. Dad walks or swims most days. He still works on the camp mowing, trimming, cleaning gutters messing around. Farm kid from NJ who went to SU because his family knew the Dean back then. Dad got to know Jim Brown and some of the football guys and has been a Syracuse fan forever. I'm not sure how old I was at my first game. I think 6 but I was hooked from the start as it was something I could do with my father who worked to keep food on our table. Both my parents worked as my mom had me at 19 and Dad was still in college. We lived in an apartment above the house next to what is now Ace Hardware. Next to the lumber yard and i grew up until 5th grade having my mom cook on a hot plate without a TV. Dad landed a great job and we moved into a real house that Fall. Long story short sports were everything and SU football was at its core. Now all these years later nothing has really changed. Love SU, always have and always will. Its glue for me and our family and friends. I have a sense Fran is special. I certainly hope so because he checks so many boxes for us.
If you get a chance, try to be at one of the pre-games walks it's pretty cool.
For Parents weekend we will be staying on Campus...will absolutely be at the walk - even if it is at 5 AM...

Great story, btw.

Me, wife, daughter are all 'Cuse grads and son is there now so we are all orange...definitely a tie that binds so your story definitely resonates...

I was going to post this on the OT board but, with your title, maybe it belongs here:

Abolish the Penny?

"I have good news and I have bad news. Actually, I have crazy news and I have bad news. Actually, all the news I have is bad, but some of it is also crazy. Before you become totally freaked out, all the news I’m describing here is about pennies; it’s nothing life and death. But you do need to buckle up."

I was going to post this on the OT board but, with your title, maybe it belongs here:

Abolish the Penny?

"I have good news and I have bad news. Actually, I have crazy news and I have bad news. Actually, all the news I have is bad, but some of it is also crazy. Before you become totally freaked out, all the news I’m describing here is about pennies; it’s nothing life and death. But you do need to buckle up."

Are you getting a commission if we subscribe to see the article you linked?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom