My Understanding of APR | Syracusefan.com

My Understanding of APR

netman99

Scout Team
My understanding of the APR is you get 4 points per player for the year. Each semester, 2 points per player. The APR is a percentage of points the team accumulated over the maximum number of points that can be accumulated. For example, if you have 10 active players , to keep the math simple, and one player does not complete the last semester , ie he loses 2 points, then team APR score is 38/40 or .95. The APR minimum is .93 so you are OK.
If 2 players don't complete the last semester then you lose 4 points of the potential 40 and have a score of 36/40 or .90 score. This a failing score and leaves the school subject to penalty like UCONN.

The 1st thing that comes to mind is, this has NOTHING to do with graduation rate. So unless I am missing something, the APR does not address graduation rate at all.

Secondly, JB is pretty damn smart, have you been wondering why SU has 8 walkons now. Walkons count. 8 walkons is a free extra 32 points (4 points times 8 players). Assuming you use the same example as above , 2 players not not finishing the last semester, ie minus 4 points. With 8 walkons you now have 68/72 instead 36/40. So your score is .94 which now passes. Knowing the NCAA they will change the formula shortly to EXCLUDE walkons.

JB made an intersting comment about the APR last week. He said, when a player leaves early for the NBA, the NBA wants the player to leave for the combines immediately and it is difficult for him to ask a player to sacrifice his chances with the NBA by asking the player to stay and finish his course work. Makes sense. The combines start before the end of semester.

The million dollar question here is: How does Kentucky deal with all the one and done players? Do they really recruit players that stay and finish their last semester course work? Think so? I found it very interesting when John Wall was leaving early, Cal mentioned on numerous occasions that John had earned enough credits to be a junior. I dont care how smart a student is, with the time devoted for basketball, earning junior status after one semester sounds like a lot of Calamari to me.

With all the probing the NCAA does, why arent they looking at how Cal motivates his players to finish their course work before leaving for the NBA? If nothing else, Cal should be doing seminars on how to accomplish this :)

The Kentucky players never anticipate graduating and thus do not have to take courses that will apply toward graduation. So, I guess they can finish making their basket while at the NBA camp and mail it in.:noidea:

Secondly, JB is pretty damn smart, have you been wondering why SU has 8 walkons now. Walkons count. 8 walkons is a free extra 32 points (4 points times 8 players). Assuming you use the same example as above , 2 players not not finishing the last semester, ie minus 4 points. With 8 walkons you now have 68/72 instead 36/40. So your score is .94 which now passes. Knowing the NCAA they will change the formula shortly to EXCLUDE walkons.

:)

The APR is calculated based only on scholarship players already, not walk-ons.

I must have been typing mine while you posted yours.

It was my understanding that there would be no math during the debate.

The Academic Progress Rate, sometimes also known as Academic Performance Rating[1] and generally abbreviated as APR, is a metric established by the NCAA to indicate the success of collegiate athletic teams in moving student athletes towards graduation[citation needed]. It was instituted in February 2005[citation needed]. In its first season of usage, three sports - football, basketball, and baseball - posted average APR scores below the NCAA-determined minimum level.
Collegiate sports teams that fail to achieve an APR score of 925 - equivalent to a 50% graduation rate - may be penalized with the loss of scholarships. A perfect score is 1000. The scores are calculated as follows:
The APR is calculated by allocating points for eligibility and retention -- the two factors that research identifies as the best indicators of graduation. Each player on a given roster earns a maximum of two points per term, one for being academically eligible and one for staying with the institution. A team's APR is the total points of a team's roster at a given time divided by the total points possible. Since this results in a decimal number, the CAP decided to multiply it by 1,000 for ease of reference. Thus, a raw APR score of .925 translates into the 925 that will become the standard terminology.[1]
The NCAA does adjust APR, on a student-by-student basis, in two circumstances—when a player transfers to another school with a sufficiently high GPA, or leaves for a professional sports career while still in good academic standing. In the 2010–11 cycle, the NCAA granted nearly 700 APR adjustments in the latter category, out of a total of over 6,400 Division I teams. Nearly half of the adjustments were for baseball players.[2]
The first penalties under the APR system were scheduled to be announced in December 2005. Starting with the 2008–09 academic year, bans from postseason competition were added to the penalty structure. The most severe penalty available is a one-year suspension of NCAA membership, which has not yet been assessed as of 2010–11.[3]
Prior to 2010–11, only four teams had received postseason bans. The results of the NCAA's APR report for that year, which covered 2006–07 through 2009–10, saw eight teams receive that penalty—five in men's basketball and three in football. Most notably, Southern became the first school ever to receive APR-related postseason bans in two sports. The highest-profile penalty in that year's cycle was handed down to defending NCAA men's basketball champion Connecticut. The Huskies lost two scholarships for the 2011–12 season due to APR violations.[3]
The APR is designed to measure semester-by-semester academic progress, and is separate from the Graduation Success Rate (GSR), which reflects only the percentage of student athletes who graduate, thus omitting students who would have graduated but left school early for non-academic reasons (such as a professional career).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom