Myles Davis | Syracusefan.com

Myles Davis

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
article up looks bulked up, in good spirits and positive attitude about this past season and our losses.

Definately put on alot of mass. Interested to see what our 3 lbs look like next yr.

hopefully they all look like linebackers and not safeties... (at least 2 of the 3)
any chance Miles gets the inside so we can move Spruill out?

I think that has been the plan, or the hope, anyway. I would be happy with Davis in the middle at 235 and Spruill/Dyshawn on the outside at 225 each.

And have a fourth straight year of a Freshman starting linebacker? I'd rather not.

I'm just gonna spitball here... I think all three starters are new. Davis in the middle, Lynch on the outside, and Virgille opposite.

I'm just gonna spitball here... I think all three starters are new. Davis in the middle, Lynch on the outside, and Virgille opposite.

I agree with you on Lynch starting but I doubt Spurill will get benched. I think the two deep will look like:
Lynch-Spruill-D.Davis
Vaughn-M.Davis-Vigille

1009439.jpg

Miles is jacked up...

I agree with you on Lynch starting but I doubt Spurill will get benched. I think the two deep will look like:
Lynch-Spruill-D.Davis
Vaughn-M.Davis-Vigille
Agreed i think this is spot on. question to Myles have four years and a RS

Lynch-Spruill-D.Davis
Vaughn-M.Davis-Vigille

I surely wouldn't put money on it, but I wouldn't be totally surprised either. I think Lynch ends up a definite. Davis staying in the starting lineup is something that I am very curious about. I have a gut feeling that Vigille ends up our best backer in recent memory, and it sounds like he has both a size advantage and possesses more experience at the position. Obviously Spruill will be the toughest of the current starters to dislodge, but I don't think he was all that impressive this year.

Spruill did not have a good year at the mike. Maybe this was do to inexperience, maybe his lack of bulk - he even stated that he needs to get much bigger because OL's sometimes overwhelmed him. That cant happen in a D designed to free up the mike to make plays. I hope M. Davis can win the spot and Spruill moves back outside.

Spruill did not have a good year at the mike. Maybe this was do to inexperience, maybe his lack of bulk - he even stated that he needs to get much bigger because OL's sometimes overwhelmed him. That cant happen in a D designed to free up the mike to make plays. I hope M. Davis can win the spot and Spruill moves back outside.

This is a perfect example of why I think it's possible all three LBs get replaced. Likely, not really, but possible. If Spruill pulls a Jameel Dumas, I could DEFINITELY see him still not being as powerful as Davis, but not nearly as fast as the younger outside 'backers.

Let's give credit to Dan Conley for upgrading the talent level and depth at a position that was a serious weakness just a few years ago. It's a real luxury when you have to turn away highly-regarded recruits like Logan and Neal. I wish that was the case for other positions, like QB.

If M Davis can run still, he has the size to move inside, allowing Spruill to go back to where he should be IMO. I am not a a fan of runt linebackers, let Davis and Lynch play it out for the other spot. Anyone can find small linebackers that can run, they are called safeties and that is what Davis and Vaughn are. Vaugh just isn't fast enough and Davis probably is, IMO. To play linebacker at that size, you need to be straight up nasty on the field. Davise might be but who knows. I thought the linebacker play was HORRENDOUS this year.

Their play versus UCONN was some of the worst linebacker play I have ever seen

If M Davis can run still, he has the size to move inside, allowing Spruill to go back to where he should be IMO. I am not a a fan of runt linebackers, let Davis and Lynch play it out for the other spot. Anyone can find small linebackers that can run, they are called safeties and that is what Davis and Vaughn are. Vaugh just isn't fast enough and Davis probably is, IMO. To play linebacker at that size, you need to be straight up nasty on the field. Davise might be but who knows. I thought the linebacker play was HORRENDOUS this year.

I assume LB play was really subpar this season. The number of missed tackles was alarming but of even more concern to me were all the plays where LBs were not able to beat a blocker and make a tackle in space. We were terrible at this in 2011.

Assuming Spruill continues to put on weight and improve his strength, we should have 2 MIKEs in the program next year that are physically capable of competing at the BCS level. That is 2 more than this season.

The OLBs were also not big enough/strong enough to play at this level this season...we should be in a lot better shape here as well. Our whole defensive scheme is set up to position the LBs to make tackles and big plays. They have to be physically capable of executing. Against many teams this year, they weren't.

Davis is tall and lanky. He’d be a big safety right now and I’d almost consider him for the position. But I’d expect him to fill out, just coming off his freshman season. I hope he wins the OLB spot over Lynch though because I worry about Lynch’s size. He’s thick yes but he’s real short and his arms are short. He missed tackles because he couldn’t wrap up.

It’s hard to believe Myles Davis will start in the middle next year so my outlook on the backers is:

1’s DDavis, Spruill, Vigille
2’s Lynch, MDavis, Vaughan
3’s Diabate, Coker, Whitehurst

“Myles Davis was the same quality of linebacker that Jermaine Pierce was,” Chaplick said of the 2006 Orange recruit who spent a season at Milford before enrolling at SU in 2007.

Gotta get Myles Davis on the field if he's this good.

You just have to hope that the kids knee holds up, the first year will be key. Can he run? cut, etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom