N.C.A.A. Votes to Give Greater Autonomy to Richest Conferences | Syracusefan.com

N.C.A.A. Votes to Give Greater Autonomy to Richest Conferences

Good or Bad for SU? Discuss.

Good or Bad for UConn? Discuss.

Good for SU. Bad for UConn and anyone else not in P5. I'd expect that UConn and others will be going all out to get into a P5 league.

One thing I don't know is if this decision means the AAC (and other conferences) can also make changes if they so desire?

Good for SU. Bad for UConn and anyone else not in P5. I'd expect that UConn and others will be going all out to get into a P5 league.

One thing I don't know is if this decision means the AAC (and other conferences) can also make changes if they so desire?
Yes, the other conferences (non-P5) can adopt and follow the same rules as the P5. It will probably be hard for them to keep up financially, but they can. After all, UConn is living off exit fees at this point, no?

Yes, the other conferences (non-P5) can adopt and follow the same rules as the P5. It will probably be hard for them to keep up financially, but they can. After all, UConn is living off exit fees at this point, no?

Thanks. I'd expect the AAC to follow suit with stipends and multi-year scholarships. Otherwise it makes little sense for many of them to stay D1 in football.

Not too far away from what was predicted 10 or more years ago. 4 (or 5) super conferences and eventually those conferences breaking away from the NCAA. Where we are now is real close to that. This new ruling is nothing more than trying to keep then from breaking away. They may not have to now.

Non-big 5 teams can only opt in if they get approval from their respective conference. I surmise that no non-big 5 teqam will be able to opt-in unless all teams in their conference opt in. This will be very interesting. Lots of shakeups coming. Time to lay down your cards.

Non-big 5 teams can only opt in if they get approval from their respective conference. I surmise that no non-big 5 teqam will be able to opt-in unless all teams in their conference opt in. This will be very interesting. Lots of shakeups coming. Time to lay down your cards.
Could there be a new conference coming for those who want to opt in but their conference doesn't?

No divisions requirement?? 3-5-5 on the way?

Not too far away from what was predicted 10 or more years ago. 4 (or 5) super conferences and eventually those conferences breaking away from the NCAA. Where we are now is real close to that. This new ruling is nothing more than trying to keep then from breaking away. They may not have to now.

Since baseball is the only sport to have anti-trust exemption, I worry that all it takes is one state AG whose university is pissed to file an anti-trust suit and the whole thing could blow up in everyone's face. Any ant-trust lawyers out there?

rrlbees said:

The NCAA said as much - said this was the best compromise for both the P5 and the NCAA. Kind of said "they were going to leave if we didn't do this."

TheCusian said:
The NCAA said as much - said this was the best compromise for both the P5 and the NCAA. Kind of said "they were going to leave if we didn't do this."

Didn't see that. But when breaking away was mentioned several years ago, people laughed. Just like they did a decade ago when 4-5 super conferences were mentioned.

That's it in a nutshell.
The changes are aimed at heading off antitrust lawsuits by providing the conferences much more autonomy and essentially giving them ability to compete with each other.