N. Fla w/ 48 2nd half pts. | Syracusefan.com

N. Fla w/ 48 2nd half pts.

Flacusian

All Conference
Not good. And there is no rationale for letting that happen. If the Ospereys can hang 48 in a half just imagine what some of the teams down the road are going to put up. I'm sure there will be some improvement but this is indicative of just how much work this team has to do moving forward. There were however, some things which were positive today... DC was a beast and Battle established himself as the 2G without any doubt remaining.

I thought N.Florida missed some open shots in 1st half. However, I thought they made some 28ft, contested shots in the 2nd half, so I guess it evens out. The more upsetting thing is the offensive rebounds. We got worked on the boards.

Not good. And there is no rationale for letting that happen. If the Ospereys can hang 48 in a half just imagine what some of the teams down the road are going to put up. I'm sure there will be some improvement but this is indicative of just how much work this team has to do moving forward. There were however, some things which were positive today... DC was a beast and Battle established himself as the 2G without any doubt remaining.

The beast DC was on offense was great, the rebounding that guys half his size were getting on the defensive end was awful.

Yeah, would have to rewatch the half. They seemed to just start clicking on threes, it seemed like it mostly happened on Lydon's side who didn't hedge strongly enough to give the guards the recovery time they needed. I don't know though - again, would have to watch again to say much for certain. White seemed to be doing a better job from what I saw though challenging and falling back...

Plus, nobody on our side rebounded well. :(

I thought N.Florida missed some open shots in 1st half. However, I thought they made some 28ft, contested shots in the 2nd half, so I guess it evens out. The more upsetting thing is the offensive rebounds. We got worked on the boards.
They out hustled us. Plain and simple. And they got hot from deep. We got fat, dumb and lazy. They wanted it more than us. But we won. That's important. Plus it gave the staff some insight into some of the further tweaking to be done. Monday's game is going to be real interesting.

I think we need the guards to come back and get more boards. This isn't all on the back line. A lot of those long threes kicked out pretty far.

Like JB said, when he put in some bench guys, they "just weren't ready to
play". The biggest surprise of the season so far, IMHO, is the totally ineffective play of Tyler Roberson.
Here is a guy who was arguably the difference in our postseason run last year, and he looks like so much hot garbage right now. A dialed-in TRob is like a pauper's Dennis Rodman...which is more than good enough, especially w/ the firepower on this squad. I just don't get it w/ him.

And 40 of their points came in the last ~12 minutes. Hard to believe

What the heck happened. They were up by more than 20 when I left to do other things -- now I just checked the final and saw they got within 5. Turrible.

Like JB said, when he put in some bench guys, they "just weren't ready to
play". The biggest surprise of the season so far, IMHO, is the totally ineffective play of Tyler Roberson.
Here is a guy who was arguably the difference in our postseason run last year, and he looks like so much hot garbage right now. A dialed-in TRob is like a pauper's Dennis Rodman...which is more than good enough, especially w/ the firepower on this squad. I just don't get it w/ him.

Head case. Let's be honest. Not going to change. Will have a few good games. Frustrating to watch. "The Beast"... is that like calling a bald guy like me, "Curly?" He's the very opposite of a beast.

Yeah, would have to rewatch the half. They seemed to just start clicking on threes, it seemed like it mostly happened on Lydon's side who didn't hedge strongly enough to give the guards the recovery time they needed. I don't know though - again, would have to watch again to say much for certain. White seemed to be doing a better job from what I saw though challenging and falling back...

Really did not like how Lydon played at ALL today. Both sides. Ospreys had a BUNCH of open threes they missed in the 1H. 2H they heated up although the degree of difficulty of those 3s were tougher. Still, you let a team hang around and those start going in. Ugh.

Exactly. Felt like it evened out since they missed quite a few wide open ones 1H. Couldn't believe what I witnessed on the boards.

This is not a 'zone' bad 'man' good post, but simply going to point out that defensive rebounding out of a zone is always going to be problematic based on simple math. you will almost always be outnumbered under the basket 3:2 if a shot comes from deep. just a fact of how our zone extends. Now, add to that, innately terrible rebounders, and you have what we have this year. Even with the best of rebounders, you will be lucky to be average as a team on the D boards

I just can't believe UNF was able to keep it within 6 points of us while shooting 10 percentage points lower from the field, and 26 percentage points lower from three. That is horrifying to me that we needed to out-shoot the last place team in the Atlantic Sun to beat them.

this myth that you cant rebound out of the zone.. go back watch the game and see where the majority of the rebounds we didnt get were going and tell me again we were out numbered. we have a center who cant jump or box out. we have a PF who doesnt put a body on anyone. a shooting guard forced to play the 3 because we dont trust our best rebounder to show up.

just because 20% of the time its hard to find a body to box out doesnt mean you should be giving up rebounds all night. its positioning no matter if its man or zone and there is no reason to ever be under the basket which is where out guys seem to end up.

this myth that you cant rebound out of the zone.. go back watch the game and see where the majority of the rebounds we didnt get were going and tell me again we were out numbered. we have a center who cant jump or box out. we have a PF who doesnt put a body on anyone. a shooting guard forced to play the 3 because we dont trust our best rebounder to show up.

just because 20% of the time its hard to find a body to box out doesnt mean you should be giving up rebounds all night. its positioning no matter if its man or zone and there is no reason to ever be under the basket which is where out guys seem to end up.

what crime did I commit that you would have me watch THAT game again? Have you no decency sir?

the last place team in the Atlantic Sun to beat them.
not that it really matters, and your basic point still stands, but they've actually finished in first place in the atlantic sun the previous two years :noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom