Nassib a hot name among scouts | Syracusefan.com

Nassib a hot name among scouts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Forgive me if already posted

Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse: Nassib is ascending draft boards and quickly becoming one of the hot names in the scouting community. He's a terrific leader on the field with the arm strength necessary to make all the throws. Nassib makes good decisions in the pocket, squeezes the most from the talent surrounding him and has most believing he'll have a productive NFL career. 2nd Round

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20121224/nfl-draft-bowl-game-preview-2/#ixzz2GBOvszyg

I don't want to go nuts here but if Ryan goes in the second round it will turn a lot of heads and be a big boost for recruiting. If we continue with good QB play with the group we have now, our new offense will attract a lot of play makers, which could propel the program into the top 25 for a bunch of years. This could be really great stuff for the program.

We may look back on Shafer's plan to scrap the playbook 2 weeks before kickoff as the tipping point for the program.

Introducing that wide open pro-style hurry up offense into the program may be looked to as the point when SU started playing big-boy football again.

We may look back on Shafer's plan to scrap the playbook 2 weeks before kickoff as the tipping point for the program.

Introducing that wide open pro-style hurry up offense into the program may be looked to as the point when SU started playing big-boy football again.
Shafer's plan to scrap the playbook? the defensive playbook?

Right idea, wrong coach.

He has certainly come a long way.

I never expected this kind of attention.
I agree. While I liked and rooted for Nassib to perform well...until this year, I didn't think he had enough to get a tryout...let alone drafted. He had a really nice year this season and I am happy for the kid.

Ryan could have a chance at playing next year in KC, Buf, Ari or Jax if drafted by them.

Think Andy Dalton 2 years ago to Cincy in the 2nd rd. He has panned out pretty well. Would love to see Ryan follow suit.

mea culpa...
some of us had to go into work today. my head is elsewhere.

From NFL.com Article by Albert Breer

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/0a...ure-in-doubt-amid-questions-of-games-validity

1) Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib (vs. West Virginia, New Era Pinstripe Bowl, Saturday, ESPN, 3:15 p.m. ET): As we mentioned, the 2012 quarterback crop isn't lush, a fact that opens the door for dark horses to rise, and Nassib might be the preeminent dark horse coming out. "He's gonna end up being one of those guys," said one NFC exec. "I like his arm, his release, his mechanics, and he's really strong -- he can throw the (expletive) out of the ball. He's ready, too." The exec continued that he needs to work on "his decision-making; he has such a strong arm, he tries to show it off too much, he needs to work on his finesse game, his touch," but said that while he's seen as a third- or fourth-round pick, Nassib could conceivably go in the second round, particularly considering his experience under Marrone, who was Sean Payton's offensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints in 2006.

Winning really does kill all ills. You wouldn't have seen the same press after Rutgers..

Impossible ... Nassib isn't even a top 50 QB ... I had an AFC scout tell me so ... :bat:

From NFL.com Article by Albert Breer

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/0a...ure-in-doubt-amid-questions-of-games-validity

1) Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib (vs. West Virginia, New Era Pinstripe Bowl, Saturday, ESPN, 3:15 p.m. ET): As we mentioned, the 2012 quarterback crop isn't lush, a fact that opens the door for dark horses to rise, and Nassib might be the preeminent dark horse coming out. "He's gonna end up being one of those guys," said one NFC exec. "I like his arm, his release, his mechanics, and he's really strong -- he can throw the (expletive) out of the ball. He's ready, too." The exec continued that he needs to work on "his decision-making; he has such a strong arm, he tries to show it off too much, he needs to work on his finesse game, his touch," but said that while he's seen as a third- or fourth-round pick, Nassib could conceivably go in the second round, particularly considering his experience under Marrone, who was Sean Payton's offensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints in 2006.

That guy is nuts, Nassib sucks. Must be just another meathead.

Ryan could have a chance at playing next year in KC, Buf, Ari or Jax if drafted by them.

Think Andy Dalton 2 years ago to Cincy in the 2nd rd. He has panned out pretty well. Would love to see Ryan follow suit.

Loving that gif!!

I'm the chat room when that happened I asked that someone please make one. EPIC. Well done.

I don't want to go nuts here but if Ryan goes in the second round it will turn a lot of heads and be a big boost for recruiting.

I'm not saying you are wrong, so please don't take it that way. (Standard caveat for the sensitivity of this board).

But how do you know this? Plenty of players get drafted and their schools fail to capitalize on that players success. IMO, this Staff has yet to face the scenario of having the opportunity to capitalize on a high round draft pick. Yes, Chandler was a high pick, but we have not seen the recruiting results of that yet.

Unless you are talking about the first 5 or 6 picks, most high school football players have absolutely no idea which player went where. As far as high school recruiting in concerned (and it applies to both sports), it is how the Staff packages the results of the players in their system that really matters most (and, btw...truly successful programs frame the spectrum of NFL developed talent to kids who barely play but walk out in significantly better situations).

My point is that just having players drafted in the first or second round isn't really as significant to recruiting as people might (logically) think. Certainly a positive...no question. But it's what the Staff does with it that matters more than anything.

44cuse

I'm not saying you are wrong, so please don't take it that way. (Standard caveat for the sensitivity of this board).

But how do you know this? Plenty of players get drafted and their schools fail to capitalize on that players success. IMO, this Staff has yet to face the scenario of having the opportunity to capitalize on a high round draft pick. Yes, Chandler was a high pick, but we have not seen the recruiting results of that yet.

Unless you are talking about the first 5 or 6 picks, most high school football players have absolutely no idea which player went where. As far as high school recruiting in concerned (and it applies to both sports), it is how the Staff packages the results of the players in their system that really matters most (and, btw...truly successful programs frame the spectrum of NFL developed talent to kids who barely play but walk out in significantly better situations).

My point is that just having players drafted in the first or second round isn't really as significant to recruiting as people might (logically) think. Certainly a positive...no question. But it's what the Staff does with it that matters more than anything.

44cuse

Fair question but remember that I included a big 'if" in my post. "If we continue with good QB play with the group we have now, our new offense will attract a lot of play makers..."

I agree, one isolated first or second rounder alone will do little. However, combine that with the new offense and success with our next QB and the program will get the visibility that gets us into the conversation will more and more talented players. There is a real opportunity to catch lightening in a bottle.

The new offense, which is fun to watch, is probably even more fun to play. An ascending program with a system that is fun to play, has good reputable coaches and that puts players into the NFL will IMO raise the level of talent attracted to the program. These guys can coach so I have confidence that as talent, depth and experience improves they will get us back to the top 25.

Certainly, a lot depends on the staff's ability to sell the program - it won't sell itself. The first day of class in Marketing 101 at SU the prof wrote on the board (blackboard back then), "If you build a better mousetrap will the world beat a path to your door?" No!! The staff has to sell their success with players like Chandler and Ryan, which are great stories and something we have not been able to say for quite some time. I'd love to be able to sell those stories.

Any good pub will help sell the story and a story like Ryan would certainly help get the word out. I like our chances.