Nassib said he's "addicted" to watching film and finds it... | Syracusefan.com

Nassib said he's "addicted" to watching film and finds it...

Crusty

Living Legend
"frustrating" to watch games on television because he cannot see the whole field.

Exactly! There is no substitute for going to the game - just none.

As with most sports, if you've ever play them, TV doesn't do them justice.

As with most sports, if you've ever play them, TV doesn't do them justice.

That is why I like commentators that played at a high level. It is one of the reasons that guys like Johnny Miller are so popular. They see and understand shots/plays etc on a different level. A wise old friend of mine always said that there are two kinds of knowledge - transactional knowledge and conversational knowledge. Transactional knowledge come from actually doing something and conversational knowledge comes from watching or talking to someone that has transactional knowledge. Both types are valuable but when it comes to crunch time you want the person who has actually been there and done that.

FWIW I didnt play beyond high school and I'm still up in the stands pointing out where the safeties are cheating and where coverages are going presnap.

That is why I like commentators that played at a high level. It is one of the reasons that guys like Johnny Miller are so popular. They see and understand shots/plays etc on a different level. A wise old friend of mine always said that there are two kinds of knowledge - transactional knowledge and conversational knowledge. Transactional knowledge come from actually doing something and conversational knowledge comes from watching or talking to someone that has transactional knowledge. Both types are valuable but when it comes to crunch time you want the person who has actually been there and done that.

Johnny Miller is great when he talk about the way players should attack a course, etc -- but he is clueless when it comes to the golf swing

Johnny Miller is great when he talk about the way players should attack a course, etc -- but he is clueless when it comes to the golf swing
I have to disagree. About 20 years ago Johnny Miller was giving a clinic for local pros at Westchester CC and my pro took me along. There was a thunderstorm and they had to cancel the clinic but they moved it indoors to a ball room and Johnny gave an informal and wide ranging talk. He spent a great deal of time on the swing. He talked about his and others. He displayed a depth of knowledge that was very impressive.

I was impressed with the way Miller handled himself with everybody. He was very courteous, funny and handled stupid questions with style. As an aside Gene Borek, God rest his soul, was head pro at Metropolis CC for over 25 years and a terrific player who played in several US Opens, PGA,s, Open Championships and other tour events such as the Westchester Classic many times. He was one of the best local pros in the NY Metro area for decades. Gene arrived late an I saw him enter the room and sit quietly in the back. Miller, obviously knew Borek casually and he took the next segue to say hello to Gene and told the crowd that he was a very good player and one of the best club pros in the country. He also said he knew Gene could have made a living on the tour has he chosen to do so. It was a very classy thing to do.

I have played in over 25 tour and senior pro-ams (I'm old!) and believe me some of these guys are real jerks and some are really good guys - Miller is one of the good ones.

The greatest iron player in history.

I listen to him.

"frustrating" to watch games on television because he cannot see the whole field.

Exactly! There is no substitute for going to the game - just none.
Which is why I really wish the NFL started showing more of the All-22 angle in games and in replays.

Sam Snead and Ben Hogan would disagree with you.
Well at least he's the best desert course player in history.

Which is why I really wish the NFL started showing more of the All-22 angle in games and in replays.

Or if they allowed you to pick which camera you were watching at any given time like death race.

Everybody has an opinion.

In my opinion nobody - nobody - struck irons as well as Johnny Miller.

Had he been able to putt, he would have won a lot more majors.

I agree - Miller was lethal for a three year period with his irons. But no one in the world has ever struck it better than Hogan. No one.

FWIW I didnt play beyond high school and I'm still up in the stands pointing out where the safeties are cheating and where coverages are going presnap.

I didn't play football at any level and I honestly think I read the game better than a lot of actual football players could.

I remember back when I was like 15 years old, the Rams came to Buffalo back when Marc Bulger was still the QB and I was sitting in the top row of the stadium and I was reading Marc Bulger's eyes from there. Apparently it was easy for the Bills to read his eyes that day too because I remember they picked him off like 5 times.

You would've enjoyed the early HD coverage of the NFL. At that time, HD coverage was provided by a separate camera & production crew. The LOS was not in the center of the screen when the ball was snapped. It was great to see the LBs and DBs moving around as the QB called the signals.

Today, it appears that most games are still shot with a 4:3 picture in mind.

FYI: if memory doesn't fail me, Daryl Johnston was in the booth with Verne Lundquist for CBS' HD broadcast of the 2001 Superbowl.

I believe they're not allowed to show, or at least are limited, the all-22 shots during the course of a game due to competitive advantage BS.

I believe they're not allowed to show, or at least are limited, the all-22 shots during the course of a game due to competitive advantage BS.
I realize that. It's just a pipe dream.

But i wish they could show replays of the games in all-22 on NFL Network or something.

A good friend of mine (Ken Bowden) wrote Sam Snead's last book, "Sam Snead Teaches You His Simple Key Approach to Golf" and he told me that Sam had no idea how he swung the club. Ken would ask him questions about certain parts of the swing and Sam would say things that were not in even close to what the tapes showed. Ken said Sam was just a natural and had no idea about his own mechanics. He basically had to write the book for him.
I am unaware of any comments Hogan made about Miller.