National media finally figuring it out about XP. | Syracusefan.com

National media finally figuring it out about XP.

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
After 24 hours of yelling and screaming by the national media (they like to jump on bandwagons) and guys like Doyle sounding silly, the national media has finally figured out reality (which our local guys like Dave already did). I have seen 4 tweets and re-tweets this AM with media types using words like "but we don;t know how it would have played out at 29-27). Now, there is also a very good article by a writer at the LATimes. I have included the link below but the key part is;

You can't predict how the last two minutes would have unfolded had the correct call been made.

Even Beckman admitted trailing by two instead of three would have changed his strategy on the final drive. Down by three, he was still playing for the win in regulation. Down by two, a field goal in regulation wins it.

Syracuse might have defended differently. You can't predict different plays would have led to the game-winning field goal.

I know he doesn't "quote" the Toledo coach, but he says that the coach even admitted that he would have changed his strategy down only 2.

Glad this is now over with the BE denying the appeal. Now we can move on.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0926-dufresne-college-football-20110926,0,2574425,full.column

3-1 at the quarter pole
Helmet flipped......moving on

Mountain out of a molehill. Yeah, it appeared to have been the wrong call.

Wrong calls happen every single game. Many of them have a much more direct effect on the outcome of a game than this one had.

Over the years they will tend to average out from team to team.

This wasn't exactly a critical game to either school. It wasn't for a National Championship, it wasn't for a League title, it wasn't a conference game, it wasn't even a game with bowl eligibility on the line.

Really, in the greater scheme of things, this was a very unimportant game except to fans of the two teams involved.

Time to let it go.......$ hit happens !!

After 24 hours of yelling and screaming by the national media (they like to jump on bandwagons) and guys like Doyle sounding silly, the national media has finally figured out reality (which our local guys like Dave already did). I have seen 4 tweets and re-tweets this AM with media types using words like "but we don;t know how it would have played out at 29-27). Now, there is also a very good article by a writer at the LATimes. I have included the link below but the key part is;

You can't predict how the last two minutes would have unfolded had the correct call been made.

Even Beckman admitted trailing by two instead of three would have changed his strategy on the final drive. Down by three, he was still playing for the win in regulation. Down by two, a field goal in regulation wins it.

Syracuse might have defended differently. You can't predict different plays would have led to the game-winning field goal.

I know he doesn't "quote" the Toledo coach, but he says that the coach even admitted that he would have changed his strategy down only 2.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0926-dufresne-college-football-20110926,0,2574425,full.column

The one thing that nobody in the media seems to be picking up is that Toledo had not one, not two, but three chances to render the point moot AFTER the XP call was made.

They could have punched it in and won outright when they had first and goal. They didn't do it

They could have scored in OT...a TD, a FG, whatever. They didn't do it.

They could have kept SU off the scoreboard in OT. They didn't do it

All three of those things cost them the game even more-so than the XP call.

Robert Smith just made this EXACT same point on College Football Live. I knew I liked him for a reason, despite his being a Buckeye.

Did you hear this somewhere, or read it? Just curious - hadn't seen anything.

Dont know who tweeted it but someone sent me a text message saying someone tweeted that the score stood by rule.

Also, that McMurphy guy just tweeted that the MAC commish says there is no recourse to have the result reversed.

Now that that is out of the way, perhaps there's a more pressing question to be answered: what in the world went wrong on that kick? The snap and the hold looked ok on the replay. Krautman is uber-reliable. Pretty odd occurrence.

Now that that is out of the way, perhaps there's a more pressing question to be answered: what in the world went wrong on that kick? The snap and the hold looked ok on the replay. Krautman is uber-reliable. Pretty odd occurrence.

Exactly... and don't forget earlier in the game when he hit the cross bar but was fortunate that the football went through the up rights.

I don't understand the controversary. If the on field judge underneath the upright AND the replay official both saw it go through then it must have gone through the uprights. No way they could both miss that call. No way. My opinion is that it's a Syracuse is leaving the Big East conspiracy thing. At least that's what the Germans would have us believe.

Ty Willingham would claim that an usher opened a door just in time to suck the ball between the uprights.

I don't think anything went "wrong". I think he just miss hit it. XP's are missed on occasion, even if rare, even in the pro's. It was a good snap and good hold so Ross just missed it.

I don't think anything went "wrong". I think he just miss hit it. XP's are missed on occasion, even if rare, even in the pro's. It was a good snap and good hold so Ross just missed it.
Let's not forget too that he hit one in off the upright earlier in the game too. He was really solid on his FG attempts...so odd to almost miss 2 XP's in one game like that.