NBA.com touts AO | Syracusefan.com

NBA.com touts AO

Bortukal

All Conference
Top prospect in the D-League.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/prospect_watch_201213_week_seven.html

At this moment, the only thing worth arguing about for Onuaku is how he's not playing more minutes. He's
got the No. 1 PER in the league, the No. 1 rebounding percentage and the No. 1 offensive rebounding percentage. Ball goes up. Ball comes down. Ball ends up in Arinze Onuaku's hands. Aaaaaand then the hoop. He has a higher PER (27.79) than Chris Douglas-Roberts and Jarvis Varnado, who, you'll remember, ransacked the league on the way to the NBA. For a short refresher on PER -- and its ability to predict Call-Ups --check out our AP Hoops piece here. For the original explanation, consult John Hollinger's manifesto.
And while you're doing it, note that Onuaku's
PER of 27.79 is 28 percent higher than any other Prospect with more than 300 minutes in the NBA D-League this year.
Last Week: No. 7

don't forget PH11

Not even CDR put up these kinds of numbers. Over his last five games, the former Syracuse swingman has put up 24 points, 12.6 boards and two steals a night. He's shooting 52.6 percent in nine games and he blocked four shots in a game against Texas. On Christmas, he went for 34 points, 11 boards and five steals against Sioux Falls. But the lede's buried here: Harris remains somewhere between 6-foot-4 and 6-foot-5, which might keep him somewhere between NBA D-League dominance and an NBA roster spot. But it'll be hard not to give him a look if he keeps this up.
Last Week: No. 27

Dont forget:

On the Cusp
  • Mychel Thompson, G/F, Sioux Falls
  • Rick Jackson, F, Austin
  • Chris Roberts, G, Texas
  • Elijah Millsap, F, L.A.
  • Demetris Nichols, F, Sioux Falls
  • Brian Butch, C, Bakersfield Jam
  • Mike Singletary, F, Erie
  • Andy Rautins, G, Tulsa
  • Dominique Sutton, G, Tulsa
  • Mark Tyndale, F, Sioux Falls
  • Jarrid Famous, F, L.A.
  • Walker Russell, G, Reno
  • Durrell Summers, G/F, Idaho Stampede
  • Taylor Griffin, F, Santa Cruz
  • Troy Hudson, G, Sioux Falls
  • Jorge Gutierrez, G, Canton
  • Mickell Gladness, C, Santa Cruz
  • Stefhon Hannah, G, Santa Cruz
  • Sean Evans, F, Idaho
  • Willie Reed, F, Springfield
  • Tony Mitchell, F, Fort Wayne
  • Mike Davis, F, Sioux Falls
  • Micheal Eric, C/F, Erie BayHawks

So the only 2 missing from the list are KJ who is avg 20/6 and Melo who is avg 11/7.

Kj and melo are on the celts active roster right now.

Why wouldn't Miami pick AO up? He could start at the 5 for them...

He plays for the Cavs affiliate, so I'm assuming he has a call-up contract with them? Who knows though...the NBDL is kind of a confusing league.

Interesting to note that AO is still shooting a higher percentage from the field (.563) than he is from the charity stripe (.507). If he could conquer that free throw block he'd be even more effective.

This may also help to prove that not only can JB not teach free throw shooting worth a damn (wasn't that asserted in a recent post), but he apparently has the opposite from intended effect and ruins his players for all future would-be free throw instructors as noone has seemed to be able to help AO.

He plays for the Cavs affiliate, so I'm assuming he has a call-up contract with them? Who knows though...the NBDL is kind of a confusing league.

I could be wrong but I dont think the Cavs have any sort of rights to AO just because he plays for their affiliate. Lots of players in the D league were signed simply as free agents and are only employed by the d league team itself. AO can go anywhere. Fab and KJo, on the other hand, have contracts with the Celtics so they cant go anywhere. Unless a player has a contract with an NBA team, they are free agents.

This has made an already pretty good day better.

Why wouldn't Miami pick AO up? He could start at the 5 for them...
yes, it seems like he would be a good pickup for any contender who needs rebounding & center depth . . . AO has the two characteristics that Eric Musselman said are the key things for DLeague picups - he comes from a winning program and he has demonstrated an NBA level skill (rebounding). It's probably just a matter of time before someone plucks him, but then his ability to defend the 5 will determine how long he stays up.

I could be wrong but I dont think the Cavs have any sort of rights to AO just because he plays for their affiliate. Lots of players in the D league were signed simply as free agents and are only employed by the d league team itself. AO can go anywhere. Fab and KJo, on the other hand, have contracts with the Celtics so they cant go anywhere. Unless a player has a contract with an NBA team, they are free agents.

This is correct

Yeah I was thinking at 6-9 he might be a little too short to check NBA 5's.

But he's murdering the D-League, so he seems to warrant a call up for sure.

Yeah I was thinking at 6-9 he might be a little too short to check NBA 5's.

But he's murdering the D-League, so he seems to warrant a call up for sure.

the hole league is getting shorter I just worry about his knees

the hole league is getting shorter I just worry about his knees
yeah . . . I haven't seen much of him this year, but last year for the Clippers, Reggie Evans would log minutes at center. This year, it's Ronny Turiaf. There is a spot on many teams for a bulky guy 6-8 to 6-10 who can clear space and get boards.