NBA Draft Decisions Will Have Huge Implications For Syracuse (CBS; Rothstein) | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft Decisions Will Have Huge Implications For Syracuse (CBS; Rothstein)

Why do players have to sit out a year when they transfer but coaches can change jobs all willy nilly and face no similar repercussion?

Why do players have to sit out a year when they transfer but coaches can change jobs all willy nilly and face no similar repercussion?
There are more players than coaches so it would be chaos as player switch teams to find the most playing time that best fits their style ... that's the excuse anyway.

I can see the argument and coaches especially don't want to work with a kid for three years and to have him jump to a different team (e.g. Kentucky) just as they've grown into their body or learned how to play the post. Lower D1 schools would be turned into a feeder system for the top-40 schools.

But I also think it's another way to control kids and continue to make gobs of money from their labor.

There are more players than coaches so it would be chaos as player switch teams to find the most playing time that best fits their style ... that's the excuse anyway.

I can see the argument and coaches especially don't want to work with a kid for three years and to have him jump to a different team (e.g. Kentucky) just as they've grown into their body or learned how to play the post. Lower D1 schools would be turned into a feeder system for the top-40 schools.

But I also think it's another way to control kids and continue to make gobs of money from their labor.

But isn't it in the best interest of the kid? Isn't that the argument we keep hearing about allowing kids to go pro? If we all had the opportunity to trade up to Harvard to complete our education, wouldn't we all take it? And oddly enough I don't believe Harvard would keep us from participating in classes for a year while paying for us to be there. And I'm not arguing for them to be able to make these changes. I'm saying it's hypocritical to allow coaches to go and deny kids who are losing a parent/grandparent to terminal cancer the ability to be closer to home while they die and still be able to watch their kid play ball.

Players should only be allowed to transfer without sitting out a year if their coach they signed their LOI leaves.
Restricting the player from transferring to the school the coach went too would be fair if they didn't want to create a feeder system.
Also, if the player graduates from their university then they should be allowed to leave without sitting out if they have any eligibility left because they would have left the university in fine academic standing and they would have accomplished the NCAA's guidelines of getting an education.

This whole sick relative waiver is BS unless the sick relative is the parent's guardian, grandparent, or really close family member. Sick aunt/uncle doesn't do it for me unless they are their guardian. If they have a sick relative wouldn't sitting out and being with them be more appropriate.

If we all had the opportunity to trade up to Harvard to complete our education, wouldn't we all take it?
Absolutely. I was a transfer student and I didn't have to sit out a year when I went to a better university. But allowing players to transfer willy-nilly interferes with the NCAA's first goal, which is to make gobs of money for university athletic departments. I don't agree with it.

Ultimately, I think these lawsuits that players are filing to be allowed to unionize, be paid, etc. are going to open up some significant changes to how student athletes are treated including the transfer rules. It was one thing when schools were making a few hundred thousand off the football team and used it to buy uniforms for the other sports, but revenue has gone through the roof and in their greed they forgot the whole reason for college sports in the first place and kept their entire labor force removed from the negotiating table. The lawsuits are going to change that through court victories or settlements.

Absolutely. I was a transfer student and I didn't have to sit out a year when I went to a better university. But allowing players to transfer willy-nilly interferes with the NCAA's first goal, which is to make gobs of money for university athletic departments. I don't agree with it.

Ultimately, I think these lawsuits that players are filing to be allowed to unionize, be paid, etc. are going to open up some significant changes to how student athletes are treated including the transfer rules. It was one thing when schools were making a few hundred thousand off the football team and used it to buy uniforms for the other sports, but revenue has gone through the roof and in their greed they forgot the whole reason for college sports in the first place and kept their entire labor force removed from the negotiating table. The lawsuits are going to change that through court victories or settlements.

Thing is the unionization only affects Private Universities, (of course, at this very very very early point)
That is a big problem especially if you live in Pitt, Syracuse, Cinci,etc. Oh what about Xavier, St. John's, Providence et al for Hoops.

Never in their wildest days did the Pioneers of College Sports could ever imagine being in the Mass Entertainment Industry. Just like Employers and Health Care another , on its surface, odd mix we (used) to take for granted.

Someone needs to challenge this along the lines of the old reserve clause in baseball. When the kid's one year contract is done, he should be able to go where he wants and play right away.

Someone needs to challenge this along the lines of the old reserve clause in baseball. When the kid's one year contract is done, he should be able to go where he wants and play right away.

I'm not sure that's fully NCAA though. Conferences make it their rules that universities have to enforce. For example if you transfer within ACC it's 2 years per conference bylaws. If NCAA does away with this rule, all major conferences will just make up an agreement between themselves to enforce one year rule. If you challenge that somehow, all they would need to do is have you sign a piece of paper before your scholarship is granted that you will follow conference bylaws. Same with any other rule people want to "challenge". They will just make you sign an agreement ahead of time. What's the point?

Will just turn this into NBA contracts with complicated lawyering, yeah great idea.

This is a good legal argument. That unless a college player signs a multiple year scholarship once they fulfill their end of the bargain and give the university 1 year of athletic play in exchange for a free education the contract is fulfilled.

The only problem I am sure the LOI probably gives the NCAA authority to enforce its bylaws on the athlete. The athletes would need the NCAA authority out of their LOI.

If players unionize I am sure the system will be come destroyed and we could see a CBA and then all hell could break loose.