NBA draft "guarantees" - could someone pls explain | Syracusefan.com

NBA draft "guarantees" - could someone pls explain

CuseinNYC

Walk On
I've never quite understood why any team would "guarantee" to a player/agent that they'll definitely choose him in their slot. Is there some advantage to the team for doing this? I'm sure there are soft "assurances" made in other sporting drafts, but I don't think that any non-NBA team definitively promises draft prospects much of anything. If anyone can explain the logic behind these "guarantees", I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks

I dont think there are as many smoke screens in Basketball. There's only 5 positions and most teams have a couple of those spots locked up with current players going into the Draft, unless you're the Bobcats.

I've never quite understood why any team would "guarantee" to a player/agent that they'll definitely choose him in their slot. Is there some advantage to the team for doing this? I'm sure there are soft "assurances" made in other sporting drafts, but I don't think that any non-NBA team definitively promises draft prospects much of anything. If anyone can explain the logic behind these "guarantees", I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks
Let's say team is drafting # 10 & they like Dion & Dion likes them. If Dion continues to work out maybe he impresses a team drafting at #8 or #9 that otherwise would not take him that high. The guarantee creates a match suitable for the player & the team. The player does not risk going to a team where he doesn't want to be even if it is in a slightly higher draft position, and the team reduces the risk of losing their targeted player to a team w a better pick.

Of course there is risk on both sides. Maybe the player could have moved up more than a couple of slots, which would make a big difference in salary, and from the team's point of view, maybe a player they liked more slides unexpectedly.

But, in the end, it is all about both sides agreeing to get something they want to happen rather than taking a small chance on hoping for a pie in the sky better result.

Well, if you identify player A as the 3rd best player in the draft, and you pick 8th, and you think other teams have undervalued player A, and you really want him to fall to you at 8, you might say don't work out for the teams ahead of us and we promise to pick you at #8.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Let's say team is drafting # 10 & they like Dion & Dion likes them. If Dion continues to work out maybe he impresses a team drafting at #8 or #9 that otherwise would not take him that high. The guarantee creates a match suitable for the player & the team. The player does not risk going to a team where he doesn't want to be even if it is in a slightly higher draft position, and the team reduces the risk of losing their targeted player to a team w a better pick.
Pretty much this. Waiters has been the talk/sleeper of the draft so far; by PHX (or Portland, Toronto) promising they'd pick him, Dion stops working out and doesn't have the chance to impress any other teams.

Somehow I think these guarantees hold about as much water as Bush's "no new taxes" promise.

What I dont see his how this guarantee in any way benefits the player. So what if they are guaranteed they will be picked by a team selecting 10th..and they continue to work out...and they are not taken in the first nine picks...is the team who wanted him at 10 going to suddenly NOT take him because he worked out for other teams?

is there a high chance of injury in these workouts? (seriously doubt it)

are these workouts so physically demanding that players dont want to go through them (doubt it)

So why would the PLAYER agree to stop working out? For fear that the team that promised they would take him DOESNT take him out of spite?

The buzz that this has created may intrigue a team that had him on their board enough to pick him at a higher pick. Ya think?

Holt is on the mark. Without any contract being signed, a casual promise to select a player (if available) in a specified draft slot is probably not legally enforceable. Phoenix, picking 13, is the team rumored to have made the overture to dion. But the suns still have a right to trade that slot to another team, which may not want to pick Dion, or they could 'trade up' (contract with an earlier-picking team to obtain its draft pick for compensation .. [unlikely]) and take him early or take someone else. Also, another team picking before Phoenix (1-12) could take Dion before the Suns get to select him. This will probably not happen... but still, the word guarantee is out of place in this context.

This has been going on for years and if it is the Suns it's great fit, which is far more important to a player then moving up a few slots. The real money in a player's career is in their second contract not their rookie deal so putting up numbers in your first 2 seasons is critical. If Dion was told that with Nash moving on you will be giving the keys to offense than shutting it down was the right decision in my opinion. Phoenix runs a high powered pick-roll offense pretty similar to our system, JB has openly stated he has taking plays from Dantoni's system and even though Dantoni has moved on the system in Phoenix has largely remained the same. Also Hak is on that team both are Philly guy's and Hak can help Dion make the transition to the league and hopefully keep him out of trouble.

On I personal note I tired of our players getting drafted by western conference teams. I don't get to see them and when I do the games are 10:30 est. starts which sucks!