NBA Free Agency. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Free Agency.

Eh, I think that there are still plenty of reasons to want to be a Laker. They aren't going to suddenly turn into the Bucks. Phil is looming. It's a matter of time. Phil can't go a day without a Laker related tweet.

Why would Melo stay with the Knicks? They are going nowhere. Melo's window is closing. Sadly.

Melo's window may be closing as the primary option 2-3 yrs but his game, jump shot etc should allow him to stay in the league for a while. If he is still trophy-less in 2015 , all the money the knicks will have free should allow them to pull in two bigtime FA's to allow Melo to be option # 2 or 3. That is of course if they don't go out and spend money through 2017 on someone not worth it...

What would those reasons be? Kobe is an ahole, Jimmy B is a fool, Kupchak is a yes man, the glamour team plays across the hall, Cali taxes are the highest in the nation (so why take the hit for an empty roster?) . . . the only thing left is an appeal to history. Good luck with that pitch on the 20-something generation. As for Phil - he is putting on the mild pressure, but he won't get control unless and until Jimmy cedes it.

because they are his team. . . why join the also going nowhere Los Angeles Kobes?

Nah, to win a title. Like the Lakers always strive to do. And often, do. The knicks throw a parade if they win a playoff series.

Your response reeks of Laker hate. Which I enjoy.

Melo's window may be closing as the primary option 2-3 yrs but his game, jump shot etc should allow him to stay in the league for a while. If he is still trophy-less in 2015 , all the money the knicks will have free should allow them to pull in two bigtime FA's to allow Melo to be option # 2 or 3. That is of course if they don't go out and spend money through 2017 on someone not worth it...

I'd love him to win one with the Knicks. Or anyone. Just don't see that organization putting it together.

Nah, to win a title. Like the Lakers always strive to do. And often, do. The knicks throw a parade if they win a playoff series.

Your response reeks of Laker hate. Which I enjoy.
the Lakers are not now, nor will they be, title contenders. They have no assets. They will have cap space in 2014, but for whom? If the Big Three in Miami fail to exercise their ETOs (which most likely will be the case), there are no franchise changing stars in the primes of their careers on the market. They will have nobody under contract, so they won't be able to even get a sign and trade (which they will need to land Cousins, for example, who will get his qualifying offer from Sacto).

Failing to land Howard was an unmitigated disaster for the Lakers. They had banked everything on it. Had they gone into the 2014 FA market with Howard, Kobe and one more slot for a max contract superstar, then they would have had something to sell. But now they have nothing but a decrepit and desperate Kobe as a lure.

I don't hate the Lakers - I don't even hate Kobe, I pimped him for league MVP for his unbelievable performance this year. But I do love to poke at delusional Laker fans. Laker fans, IMO, are worse than Yankee fans, which is really saying something.

the Lakers are not now, nor will they be, title contenders. They have no assets. They will have cap space in 2014, but for whom? If the Big Three in Miami fail to exercise their ETOs (which most likely will be the case), there are no franchise changing stars in the primes of their careers on the market. They will have nobody under contract, so they won't be able to even get a sign and trade (which they will need to land Cousins, for example, who will get his qualifying offer from Sacto).

Failing to land Howard was an unmitigated disaster for the Lakers. They had banked everything on it. Had they gone into the 2014 FA market with Howard, Kobe and one more slot for a max contract superstar, then they would have had something to sell. But now they have nothing but a decrepit and desperate Kobe as a lure.

I don't hate the Lakers - I don't even hate Kobe, I pimped him for league MVP for his unbelievable performance this year. But I do love to poke at delusional Laker fans. Laker fans, IMO, are worse than Yankee fans, which is really saying something.

The Lakers have missed the playoffs 5 times in franchise history. Is the situation optimal? No. But to sit there and act like dudes don't want to play in LA is just silly. They will be fine.

Howard would have defined that team for years. He's a clown. Clowns don't lead teams to titles.

Howard would have defined that team for years.

He will define the team for the rest of the decade. The failed pursuit is a disaster. Because you are right - the only thing that matters to the Lakers are titles, and they are now out of the hunt for half a decade (unless Wiggins lands in their laps).

He's a clown. Clowns don't lead teams to titles.

this is what I mean about Laker fans . . . their "brain trust" went all in on D12, bet the future (next 3 to 5 years) on him. but, now, to Laker fans, "he's a clown." After the fact, of course. When they traded for him, he was the Next Big Thing in P&G. Even at the end of the season, when the Lakers closed at 28-12, the Future Was Bright with a healthy Kobe and a re-signed D12.

but, now that he has spurned them, "he's a clown."

what this means is that honest Laker fans have two choices - either their brain trust was completely off in judging Howard's talent and character, or they completely failed to put together an atmosphere that would make him comfortable and willing to stay.

one way or the other, the leadership failed. but now we are supposed to believe that these guys, with no assets, are going to rapidly build another title contender. out of pixie dust, I guess.

He will define the team for the rest of the decade. The failed pursuit is a disaster. Because you are right - the only thing that matters to the Lakers are titles, and they are now out of the hunt for half a decade (unless Wiggins lands in their laps).

this is what I mean about Laker fans . . . their "brain trust" went all in on D12, bet the future (next 3 to 5 years) on him. but, now, to Laker fans, "he's a clown." After the fact, of course. When they traded for him, he was the Next Big Thing in P&G. Even at the end of the season, when the Lakers closed at 28-12, the Future Was Bright with a healthy Kobe and a re-signed D12.

but, now that he has spurned them, "he's a clown."

what this means is that honest Laker fans have two choices - either their brain trust was completely off in judging Howard's talent and character, or they completely failed to put together an atmosphere that would make him comfortable and willing to stay.

one way or the other, the leadership failed. but now we are supposed to believe that these guys, with no assets, are going to rapidly build another title contender. out of pixie dust, I guess.

Nah guy, he was a clown during his entire tenure. Few ever believed he was "next". He never bought in and was never embraced. He can go back to being a big fish in a small pond. That's how he is built.

Pixie dust? Nope. Out of cap room. Like the Heat did. Are there challenges? Sure. We can revisit this in July of '14. Or maybe '15 (Rondo, Gasol, Love) Can't wait to see Melo in P&G. And to stockpile draft picks. And reload. As always.

the Lakers are not now, nor will they be, title contenders. They have no assets. They will have cap space in 2014, but for whom? If the Big Three in Miami fail to exercise their ETOs (which most likely will be the case),

I'll bet anything Lebron opts out. And almost certainly re-sign, but why wouldn't he opt out? Add that guaranteed money

Few ever believed he was "next".
that is bullshit revisionist history - or, more precisely, textbook cognitive dissonance. every Laker fan thought he was the Next One in the summer of 2012. And, without a doubt, Jimmy and Lurch believed so.

As always.
always? tell that to Nicky and Ced.

that is bullshit revisionist history - or, more precisely, textbook cognitive dissonance. every Laker fan thought he was the Next One in the summer of 2012. And, without a doubt, Jimmy and Lurch believed so.

always? tell that to Nicky and Ced.

You're so smart. More passive aggressive psychoanalysis, please.

We all soured quickly, you don't exactly have your finger on the pulse of Laker fans. I'm pretty sure I know where your finger is. Shaq, Magic, Kobe, Phil and Kareem are all ripping him for not having the stones to do it on the biggest stage. Some dudes aren't cut out for it.

Last discussion I got in with you, you proclaimed JS should start to spread the floor and CJ couldn't shoot. I eagerly await your next revelation.

See you in July '14, underpants.

We all soured quickly, you don't exactly have your finger on the pulse of Laker fans. I'm pretty sure I know where your finger is. Shaq, Magic, Kobe, Phil and Kareem are all ripping him for not having the stones to do it on the biggest stage. Some dudes aren't cut out for it.
I live in LA and am necessarily marinated in Laker talk. Everyone was counting on the 6th title . . . then they blamed Mike Brown . . . then they blamed the Nash & Gasol injuries . . . but, even then, they believed that they had figured out how to use D12 and would make a run through the playoffs after they closed at 28-12, until Kobe went down . . . then they pulled out all the stops to try to re-sign Dwight. Only once it was apparent that they were going to faceplant in that pursuit did the knives come out for him. Classic sour grapes.

See you in July '14, underpants.
ouch, you have slayed me.

I own up to all my comments - I certainly overestimated Dirty and underestimated CJ (although I still think he is overrated by SU fans). I don't run from being wrong.

You will see me in July 14. Will I see you?
if I do, you will probably be whining about why players A, B and C weren't cut out to be Lakers, anyway.

I live in LA and am necessarily marinated in Laker talk. Everyone was counting on the 6th title . . . then they blamed Mike Brown . . . then they blamed the Nash & Gasol injuries . . . but, even then, they believed that they had figured out how to use D12 and would make a run through the playoffs after they closed at 28-12, until Kobe went down . . . then they pulled out all the stops to try to re-sign Dwight. Only once it was apparent that they were going to faceplant in that pursuit did the knives come out for him. Classic sour grapes.

This is 100% fact. Lakers fans still thought they were going to beat the Spurs round 1 until Kobe went down. FACT. I remember talking to them and listening to the radio. "The spurs are the better match up for us..etc etc"

This is 100% fact. Lakers fans still thought they were going to beat the Spurs round 1 until Kobe went down. FACT. I remember talking to them and listening to the radio. "The spurs are the better match up for us..etc etc"

Whose to say that wouldn't have happened?

And Lakers fans were far from the only ones who thought they could win that. As that matchup started looking like a possibility, there were many who were talking it up and hoping it would happen, expecting it to be a great series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom