NBA future of... | Syracusefan.com

NBA future of...

two3zone

RIP Shark58
HA! You thought this would be about Lydon or Battle, but since we never seem to talk about the NBA future of our seniors what do you guys think about White?

I know the big thing earlier in the year was "He's only playing for the NBA" yada yada yada, but the dude has one of the best if not the best shots in the history of the program.

We obviously don't play man so his defense may be difficult for us to evaluate but with a shot like his, he has to get a look right? Summer league invite? Late second round? What do you guys think?

I was actually just thinking about this.

Cons - can't create for himself or others worth anything

Pros - he can hit threes

I think the shots he takes in college are actually more difficult than the shots he'd see as a pro.

I think he's got a shot, no pun intended. He's hitting the NBA at the right time for his skill set. Even with the way the NBA is trending there are teams that can't make threes at all.

Well, Southerland and Nichols definitely got a good look and even played in some NBA games. I think White is pretty similar to those guys. Not as big or athletic as Southerland, but a better player. And I think he's very similar to Nichols. Maybe an inch shorter? Similar production, similar level shooters as seniors, similar strengths and weaknesses.

I think he'll get a look and if he shoots well whenever he gets a chance and plays adequate D, he could stick. The three continues to become a bigger part of the game every year.

Late second round pick or udfa. He needs to knock his individual workouts out of the park and prove that he can be at least a below average defender in the pros because as of now he will give up more points than he will score. He could be a great 3 and D guy but his D is atrocious. If Rautins, Nichols and folks like that couldn't make it, I'm note sure white will.

Well, Southerland and Nichols definitely got a good look and even played in some NBA games. I think White is pretty similar to those guys. Not as big or athletic as Southerland, but a better player. And I think he's very similar to Nichols. Maybe an inch shorter? Similar production, similar level shooters as seniors, similar strengths and weaknesses.

I think he'll get a look and if he shoots the well whenever he gets a chance and plays adequate D, he could stick. The three continues to become a bigger part of the game every year.
I happen to know via an agent that Nichols was well respected in NBA circles. A lot of organizations really liked him and felt he was an NBA caliber player, but due to various circumstances none of them were ever willing to commit a roster spot/contract to him.

Late second round pick or udfa. He needs to knock his individual workouts out of the park and prove that he can be at least a below average defender in the pros because as of now he will give up more points than he will score. He could be a great 3 and D guy but his D is atrocious. If Rautins, Nichols and folks like that couldn't make it, I'm note sure white will.

Those guys didn't stick, but they did "make it" as in they played in the NBA.

The 3 is emphasized now much more than it was even 5-10 years ago when those two were trying to break in. You've got coaches like D'Antoni saying he wants his team to shoot 50 3's a night.

Someone may take a shot on him in the second round, and I could see him getting a lot of D-League run and a chance to improve his D and show that he has consistent NBA range on his 3. If so, he would have a shot to snag a roster spot just off his 3 point shooting alone if he can get his D to the slightly below average level... Just has to find the right team that needs a 3-point shooter.

He'd actually have a better shot of making the NBA Undrafted and going to the D-League so he can sign with anyone instead of being drafted and on assignment, but he'd make more money initially if he gets drafted.

HA! You thought this would be about Lydon or Battle, but since we never seem to talk about the NBA future of our seniors what do you guys think about White?

I know the big thing earlier in the year was "He's only playing for the NBA" yada yada yada, but the dude has one of the best if not the best shots in the history of the program.

We obviously don't play man so his defense may be difficult for us to evaluate but with a shot like his, he has to get a look right? Summer league invite? Late second round? What do you guys think?
I feel like he's got a puncher's chance to be a 3 and D wing player in the NBA. They're super valuable and hard to find, and I'm not sure White has the lateral quickness to do it, but I've been really impressed with his effort on D and how well he's picked up the zone.

Obviously it's an absolutely best case scenario, but I could see him as a Danny Green sort of player.