NBA, NCAA, players association align as step toward one-and-done rule elimination | Syracusefan.com

NBA, NCAA, players association align as step toward one-and-done rule elimination

The devil is in the details but this could be a very positive development.

The devil is in the details but this could be a very positive development.

I think this development sucks.

Sorry if I'd rather see talents like LeBron and Kobe in a Kentucky or Duke jersey for a year than riding the pine in the NBA or even worse playing in the G league or even playing in the NBA. I don't watch regular season NBA I watch college. I live 5 hrs from Cuse and 20 mins from where the Celtics play I didn't bother to attend a Celtics game until the second round of this years playoffs since I moved here but have probably been to 10 or so Cuse games in that time span.

The current system is far from perfect but eliminating what we currently have just means Kentucky will turn into Villanova and Villanova will be less talented and turn into Georgetown/Seton Hall and on and on.

(Cuse will be fine either way.)

The system we currently have is going to be a lot more popular and appreciated once its gone we'll miss the Burger Boys.

ALSO I get that having kids who are never going to stay 4 years and get degrees isn't ideal. But I think its still a good thing they are exposed to a college environment. You don't have to leave with an engineering degree and a internship at a fortune 500 company to take something away from the college experience see Zuckerberg or Bill Gates.

Who wins if top talent skips college? Not the players. Not the NBA. Maybe the G League but not really would any of you have watched G League games last year if Ayton or Porter Jr were in it just because of them? Prob not.

Sorry if I'd rather see talents like LeBron and Kobe in a Kentucky or Duke jersey for a year than riding the pine in the NBA or even worse playing in the G league or even playing in the NBA. I don't watch regular season NBA I watch college. I live 5 hrs from Cuse and 20 mins from where the Celtics play I didn't bother to attend a Celtics game until the second round of this years playoffs since I moved here but have probably been to 10 or so Cuse games in that time span.

The current system is far from perfect but eliminating what we currently have just means Kentucky will turn into Villanova and Villanova will be less talented and turn into Georgetown/Seton Hall and on and on.

The system we currently have is going to be a lot more popular and appreciated once its gone we'll miss the Burger Boys.

ALSO I get that having kids who are never going to stay 4 years and get degrees isn't ideal. But I think its still a good thing they are exposed to a college environment. You don't have to leave with an engineering degree and a internship at a fortune 500 company to take something away from the college experience see Zuckerberg or Bill Gates.

Who wins if top talent skips college? Not the players. Not the NBA. Maybe the G League but not really would any of you have watched G League games last year if Ayton or Porter Jr were in it just because of them? Prob not.
That problem may exist at first, but kids/advisors/parents will learn and adapt. Very few will make the jump. The Bazley example may be an object lesson going forward.

You make good points - But I don't think it's in the best interest to have these guys on campus for like five or six months. The challenge will be in making the G-League a true developmental league where players benefit from their time there and improve their game.

On your other point about watching the NBA, I admit that I don't watch too much non-playoff ball (particularly if the Celtics aren't playing). But I also don't watch too much non-tourney college ball unless Cuse is playing. I think there are many fans that fall into this category.

Problem is, "talents like LeBron and Kobe" will not be riding the pine in the NBA. It's the next tier down.

I get your point, I just think you could use better examples.

That's a great point and one that is rarely discussed. The assumption is that the year in college is a wasted year for one-and-dones but that isn't always the case. I would go as far as to say most 1&Ds do get some value over the course of a year in college and I imagine we can come up with some examples of players that entered college with no intent to stay beyond the one mandated year but either due to recognizing some flaws in their game or an appreciation of what college offers ended up returning and enhancing that value. At one point DaJuan Coleman was considered a top player in his high school class and had a high enough profile to be considered an early NBA prospect. Now I don't expect he would have considered jumping straight to a professional basketball career and skipping college but it isn;t that outlandish a scenario.

Problem is, "talents like LeBron and Kobe" will not be riding the pine in the NBA. It's the next tier down.

Kobe is an interesting example because he only started seven games combined his first two years in the league.

Kobe and lebron dont sit year one. Odd examples to use.

Bull. For folks like you, it's about suppressing talent for your personal enjoyment. Never mind that for some of these kids, you are keeping them and their families in poverty for another year, and possibly for good, should a catastrophic injury or illness strike.
I don't see you advocating for making ALL kids who graduate high school enter college for a year before seeking employment, just those from whom you seek entertainment value.
Scores of non-college kids enter their highly competitive fields while in high school, much less waiting until after.
After the best ones get drafted, the can pursue formal education, if they wish.
Some people seem to feel a person can only get a college education between 18-22. Most people don't even use what they learned in college to support themselves. Unless you need a specific education for a specific license, the cost of college may not be worth the lost opportunity costs of work and gaining experience in the work force.
People would do better working about how they make a living, rather than preventing others from do so.

Unless you need a specific education for a specific license, the cost of college may not be worth the lost opportunity costs of work and gaining experience in the work force.
People would do better working about how they make a living, rather than preventing others from do so.
At the risk of high jacking this thread, I agree wholeheartedly with Capt. Tuttle. The thought you have to go to college to succeed is fantasy. Many vocations are better choices and in many cases higher paid then someone with a BS/BA will ever receive. And at a MUCH lower entry fee.

I know everyone is reading this as allowing high schoolers to skip college, but they way this was announced makes me think its more about helping the NBA get talent evaluation right so they stop throwing away money on first rounders that can’t play?

Isn’t that why the NBA and USA basketball are working together to create development programs for 80+ kids. Take the top 20 kids in each class and develop them in the name of competing for the red, white and blue. Meanwhile the NBA gets a long thorough look under the hood at these kids.

At the same time the NCAA gets out of the business of one and dones ... ... maybe?

Last edited:

The rule is for the once in a generation talents like lebron kobe kg who are good enough to play in the NBA from day one. Its going to be a problem for the delusional 99 pct of the other kids out there who think they are better than they are and ruin their careers.

I’m all for players being able to go straight to the NBA. What I’m not looking forward to is going back to the days where you wouldn’t know until late April whether a kid would actually be going to school or going into the draft.

When a kid comes out of high school, that kid has no commitment to any team, and thus should have the freedom to choose his own course. if the kid thinks he is good enough and wishes to declare for the NBA draft that should be his right. i would further go on to say that if the kid does not like where he was drafted that he should still have his college eligibility irrespective of whether or not an agent has been retained, though he should have to give back any $$ paid by the agent should the kid choose to revert back to a college choice.

However, if a kid does choose to go to college, I would be in favor of a modified baseball rule whereby that kid would not have NBA draft eligibility again for two years. I am very torn with this opinion. In general, I very much favor any kid having the right to monetize his talent whenever he sees fit to do so. However, if a kid accepts a scholarship, the school is making a substantial investment in that kid, and the schools should not be without any rights in this process. However, that aside, my biggest reason for this position is that as we have seen with so many of our own one and dones, very few go on to have really successful NBA careers. Most just get drafted and have mediocre careers at best. Another year in college would probably have been very helpful to most of these kids even if reaching for the early money seems best at the time. I would probably also favor a lottery exception to this two year rule. In other words, a one year player could declare for the draft, but would not be draft eligible if he does not go in the lottery. Once the lottery is done, if the kid is not drafted he still has his second year of eligibility. Yes, this is somewhat paternalistic. However, it allows the mega-talents to monetize and keeps the others in school for the second year which will help the schools and also help most of the kids in the long run. Just my 2 pennies worth.

However, that aside, my biggest reason for this position is that as we have seen with so many of our own one and dones, very few go on to have really successful NBA careers. Most just get drafted and have mediocre careers at best. Another year in college would probably have been very helpful to most of these kids even if reaching for the early money seems best at the time.
Agree with your overall point, but even a moderately successful NBA career is hard, very hard, for any prospect. Not just ones that leave college early. The majority of players are flashes in the pan and this was true long before they started leaving college early. For SU players in particular, I think it has more to do with who JAB recruits and less to do with leaving early. SU relies heavily on tweeners - players who have NBA athleticism or size, but not both for their position and their skills are usually limited to one or two that are professional level. It's been effective for winning college basketball games, but the players don't typically transfer well to the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom