NCAA and scheduling | Syracusefan.com

NCAA and scheduling

SBU72

All Conference
The NCAA says when teams can start practice before the season' when the season can begin' how many games a team can play and how many hours a week (including game time) a team can have. How can they allow Sat-Monday games to be scheduled, especcially when it involves travel! SU has 3 such events and only 1 has both games at home. I'm sure they are not the only team with that situation. The NCAA controls everthing else, why not that? And I'm fairly sure the answer is $$$$.

The NCAA says when teams can start practice before the season' when the season can begin' how many games a team can play and how many hours a week (including game time) a team can have. How can they allow Sat-Monday games to be scheduled, especcially when it involves travel! SU has 3 such events and only 1 has both games at home. I'm sure they are not the only team with that situation. The NCAA controls everthing else, why not that? And I'm fairly sure the answer is $$$$.

I think 3 is the max allowed

The NCAA may not be so controlling for much longer.
The antitrust argument in the O'Bannon case is compelling.
And the case is now set for trial in June.
If I were SU alum Mark Emmert, I'd huddle with my lawyers and try to find some way to settle.

The NCAA may not be so controlling for much longer.
The antitrust argument in the O'Bannon case is compelling.
And the case is now set for trial in June.
If I were SU alum Mark Emmert, I'd huddle with my lawyers and try to find some way to settle.
If I were Mark Emmert, I'd be looking for a new job.

League scheduling is a league matter.

Regardless of where the decision lies, this is always the answer

And I'm fairly sure the answer is $$$$.

And while SU travels to Maryland for Monday night after a Saturday NIGHT game...Maryland has been off for 6 days (no Saturday game) so they are rested and have a week to prepare for the game. Very fair, right?

And while SU travels to Maryland for Monday night after a Saturday NIGHT game...Maryland has been off for 6 days (no Saturday game) so they are rested and have a week to prepare for the game. Very fair, right?
I don't think SU is going home between games.

How long a plane ride is it from Durham to Baltimore?

We will have played two games since they last played...how rare is that?

Conference tourneys?
The NCAA make exceptions for everything and early season tourneys (Maui for example) and conference tourneys would be obvious exceptions. Even the NCAA tourney is 2 games in 48 hours. Of course all these do NOT require travel. Sat - Monday games at home aren't a big stretch. it's when travel is involved is when it begins to hurt teams/players physically and dare I say academically. I know conferences do the scheduling but as I said, the NCAA has rules / limits on other thing why not this. I'm sure that other schools have just as many problems, so its not like it is an SU problem. Another thing, it seems that even when they were in the BE, the 2nd half of the schedule was always tougher than the 1st half and again no jus SU but most of the top teams. That is why you often see "lesser" teams high in the standings because they get a lot of their tough games out of the way early where they sneak up on good opponents before they get on schools radar. To me, if you are playing a team twice, it should be once in the first half of the schedule then again in the 2nd half, not just a couple of weeks apart.

The NCAA dictates zero control over the scheduling of games. It's all done by TV- even the fact that SU/Duke have far tougher ACC schedules than UVA this year.

What bothers me the most about the NCAA is their claim to be putting the student-athlete first, yet no one will admit that the competition schedule has a much greater negative impact on academics than the start date of practices, mandatory hours per week, or all the other things the NCAA chooses to "regulate". Think back to ESPN's kickoff event in November when 3-5 games tipped at Midnight local time for weeknight games. That's obviously done with academics in mind...such a hypocritical organization that I hope is eliminated in the very near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom