NCAA Board of Governors moves toward allowing student-athlete compensation for endorsements and promotions: | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Board of Governors moves toward allowing student-athlete compensation for endorsements and promotions:

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

At its meeting this week, the Board of Governors supported rule changes to allow student-athletes to receive compensation for third-party endorsements both related to and separate from athletics. It also supports compensation for other student-athlete opportunities, such as social media, businesses they have started and personal appearances within the guiding principles originally outlined by the board in October.

While student-athletes would be permitted to identify themselves by sport and school, the use of conference and school logos, trademarks or other involvement would not be allowed. The board emphasized that at no point should a university or college pay student-athletes for name, image and likeness activities.

The board’s recommendations now will move to the rules-making structure in each of the NCAA’s three divisions for further consideration. The divisions are expected to adopt new name, image and likeness rules by January to take effect at the start of the 2021-22 academic year.

Gobs of money for stars... you think bagmen was an issue, wait until schools start promising big donor endorsements. And with free range transfer policies, kids (and schools) will start putting together their own dream teams.

Killing the $port. Just stupid.

kids (and schools) will start putting together their own dream teams.

Killing the $port. Just stupid.

you noticed the top nfl draft was all basically 3 teams right?

dream teams have been reality for years now

you noticed the top nfl draft was all basically 3 teams right?

dream teams have been reality for years now
Eh. Not the same. But trust me. This is worse.

Eh. Not the same. But trust me. This is worse.

worse for who? Syracuse? Probably
The sport...doubt it...dynasties draw ratings.
all this will do is probably turn the P5 into the P3 or P2

Last edited:
College sports are already gross distortions anyway of what they perceive to be. Let the devil in through the front door. I think what will happen is...nothing. It will confirm that kids were already getting paid at the top schools. They'll probably have to pay a touch more now with other schools offering a bid price.

I think it won't impact Syracuse much at all. I'm sure we've been part of the machine already.