NCAA reform - care for athletes | Syracusefan.com

NCAA reform - care for athletes

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
I had the pleasure of dining with 2 former SU FB players this weekend.
Although their time on the hill was not a success in W-L outcome, both are successful in their fields, and look back fondly at their time at SU.
The issue of compensation came up, and their take was interesting. Don't pay us cash, but give us good, lifetime health insurance, to cover costs for injuries associated with their FB time in college, which given the medical record keeping, would be easy to document.
For those who say college is free for them, take note: they are both in their early 30s. Neither can play any sports where they would have to run. One can't even lift weights, due to the condition of his joints. His sole execrcise is walking.
Their education is not free, it comes with a tremendous cost, unseen by them at 18, or by the fans.
Next time this conversation comes up and someone says they go to school for free think about these guys, who are also our guys.

I had the pleasure of dining with 2 former SU FB players this weekend.
Although their time on the hill was not a success in W-L outcome, both are successful in their fields, and look back fondly at their time at SU.
The issue of compensation came up, and their take was interesting. Don't pay us cash, but give us good, lifetime health insurance, to cover costs for injuries associated with their FB time in college, which given the medical record keeping, would be easy to document.
For those who say college is free for them, take note: they are both in their early 30s. Neither can play any sports where they would have to run. One can't even lift weights, due to the condition of his joints. His sole execrcise is walking.
Their education is not free, it comes with a tremendous cost, unseen by them at 18, or by the fans.
Next time this conversation comes up and someone says they go to school for free think about these guys, who are also our guys.
Stories like that are why I have mixed emotions about being a fan of football. It is a great spectator sport but it comes with a terrible toll for many of the athletes.
Lifetime health insurance does seem fair to the players but I'm having difficulty imagining it being financially feasible.