NCAA rule changes | Syracusefan.com

NCAA rule changes

Like the charge/block change. Now the rule sounds a little more defined.

Hope this rule change actually stops the constant practice of players on defense sliding under players driving to the hoop and drawing 'charges'. That practice, and the refs acceptance of it, has almost stopped the ability of players to drive to the basket, and badly damaged the attractiveness and beauty of the game.

It is a shame the awful charge calls made against Syracuse in the Final Four, that played a key role in determing who won the game, were necessary to finally get serious about stopping this practice.

Hope this rule change actually stops the constant practice of players on defense sliding under players driving to the hoop and drawing 'charges'. That practice, and the refs acceptance of it, has almost stopped the ability of players to drive to the basket, and badly damaged the attractiveness and beauty of the game.

It is a shame the awful charge calls made against Syracuse in the Final Four, that played a key role in determing who won the game, were necessary to finally get serious about stopping this practice.

"The defender is no longer able to slide into the offensive player's path to the basket at the last moment and draw a charge. In addition, greater emphasis is being placed on calling fouls on defensive players who keep a hand or forearm on an opponent or use an arm bar to impede the progress of an opponent."

I think the last sentence will have a far greater impact on scoring in the college game. This will definitely impact many teams (if called), especially teams like Louisville, Butler, Pitt, VCU, etc. Pitno and company have fined tuned an entire defensive philosophy around the ability to impede a player's progress and pressure the ball with physical contact.

This is a huge change. There may be 3-4 questionable charge/no charge calls in any given. Teams use their arms and hands to impede progress for an entire game. I will be very interested in seeing how this plays out.

"The defender is no longer able to slide into the offensive player's path to the basket at the last moment and draw a charge. In addition, greater emphasis is being placed on calling fouls on defensive players who keep a hand or forearm on an opponent or use an arm bar to impede the progress of an opponent."

I think the last sentence will have a far greater impact on scoring in the college game. This will definitely impact many teams (if called), especially teams like Louisville, Butler, Pitt, VCU, etc. Pitno and company have fined tuned an entire defensive philosophy around the ability to impede a player's progress and pressure the ball with physical contact.

This is a huge change. There may be 3-4 questionable charge/no charge calls in any given. Teams use their arms and hands to impede progress for an entire game. I will be very interested in seeing how this plays out.

This...read that and thought the same thing...

"The panel also approved changes for wrestling and swimming and diving."

This is huge as well. There's really nothing good that can come from having water on the court.

I hope they didn't ban Tyler Ennis' swim move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom