NCAA Tournament | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Tournament

STL_CuseFan

Walk On
Personally I don't think there's a chance they make it but crazier things have happened and I am down to look at the hypotheticals. I feel like the non-conference meltdown has eliminated any chance they get in with 12-14 losses but who knows. So what gives? What record do you think they would need to pull out in these next 18 games? 11-7 gets them to 19-12 before the conference tournament so they end with 13 losses. I think the magic number for us to actually sweat it out on Selection Sunday would be 12-6 but how realistic that is with this squad, who knows?

Personally I don't think there's a chance they make it but crazier things have happened and I am down to look at the hypotheticals. I feel like the non-conference meltdown has eliminated any chance they get in with 12-14 losses but who knows. So what gives? What record do you think they would need to pull out in these next 18 games? 11-7 gets them to 19-12 before the conference tournament so they end with 13 losses. I think the magic number for us to actually sweat it out on Selection Sunday would be 12-6 but how realistic that is with this squad, who knows?
Your post is perfect for the 18 game thread

In order to make the NCAAT this year I think we have to go 13-7 during the ACC regular season, considering what happened OOC and how bad the ACC is I don't think 12-8 gets us in. So 12-6 for the remaining 18. Going to be hard to do but it's not like it's a million-to-one shot either, winning the next 2 would be a good start.

In order to make the NCAAT this year I think we have to go 13-7 during the ACC regular season, considering what happened OOC and how bad the ACC is I don't think 12-8 gets us in. So 12-6 for the remaining 18. Going to be hard to do but it's not like it's a million-to-one shot either, winning the next 2 would be a good start.
We need some Quad one wins. That would help the cause.

you cant look at what we do in a vacuum.. if we get get above .500 in the league and finish top 8 thats fine but what do other leagues do as well. there is a lot of very avg bball getting played across the country and even the power teams are struggling in many games. the top ACC teams duke/Lou are not really very good either.

If this team gets into the NCAA tournament JB should be coach of the year. While we have some nice pieces this team is fatally flawed on D, rebounding and post scoring.

Why should he get coach of the year getting a team he assembled to the bubble?

We all know Our recruiting has been lacking. I’m just referring to this team as it stands. Let’s say JB retired over the summer. I don’t think there is a college coach in the country that could coach this team to the big dance this season. Not K, Roy, Bennett, no one including JB. That’s why if by some miracle they make it I think JB is coach of the year.

We all know Our recruiting has been lacking. I’m just referring to this team as it stands. Let’s say JB retired over the summer. I don’t think there is a college coach in the country that could coach this team to the big dance this season. Not K, Roy, Bennett, no one including JB. That’s why if by some miracle they make it I think JB is coach of the year.

There are many coaches that do good without overwhelming talent. There is a world out there beyond the blue bloods.

Just looking at the KenPom top 10, we have Butler and Dayton for example.

You think the Butler or Dayton coaches could take this SU team with this years schedule to the NCAA tournament?

You think the Butler or Dayton coaches could take this SU team with this years schedule to the NCAA tournament?
There are three players on Butler with significant minutes and a fourth who is injured, all either turned down Syracuse for Butler or Syracuse didn't think were good enough, or whatever. I think we'd be happy to have one or two of them on this year's team.

how do you make your program attractive to 5 star recruits ? win games. (or hire their dad)
how do you win games ? 5 star recruits. (or somehow getting more out of less.)
you see the conundrum we face.

Last edited:
Who assembled this team?

I’ve already said multiple times, including in this thread that JB isn’t cutting the mustard recruiting. Why do you keep bringing the discussion back to a point that everyone agrees on. I understand you hate JB for whatever reason and you are incapable of giving the guy credit for anything that has ever happen to SU basketball.

I've often felt that we are a spoiled and sometimes delusional fanbase. Especially me. But there is a worse bunch than us. I'm traveling this winter again in a RV and we are in New Orleans for a few weeks. The Georgia fanbase has taken over the RV park and each and everyone of them is complaining about what a crap year they've had. HAHA. The Sugar Bowl...what a letdown . Reminds me of the year our lacrosse Final Four streak ended.

The Georgia fanbase has taken over the RV park and each and everyone of them is complaining about what a crap year they've had. HAHA. The Sugar Bowl...what a letdown . Reminds me of the year our lacrosse Final Four streak ended.
I'm sure there are many fanbases like this, but Georgia fans are really special.

Reminds me of the year our lacrosse Final Four streak ended.
then you realize how quickly things snowball. sales pitch used to be final 4. now we got no promises. and it shows.

Last edited:
I've often felt that we are a spoiled and sometimes delusional fanbase. Especially me. But there is a worse bunch than us. I'm traveling this winter again in a RV and we are in New Orleans for a few weeks. The Georgia fanbase has taken over the RV park and each and everyone of them is complaining about what a crap year they've had. HAHA. The Sugar Bowl...what a letdown . Reminds me of the year our lacrosse Final Four streak ended.

I lived in GA from 6th grade through the end of college and am still friends with a lot of GA fans from high school on Facebook. Most of my friends are pretty rational about UGA's place in the pecking order, but there is one guy from high school that is exactly what you describe. The minute of the first loss of every year, he's posting the season is a total failure. I finally had to hide him his spoiled attitude annoyed me so much. I almost felt like asking him if he considers his kids failures if they bring home a B on their report card, which would be funny because he was far from the class valedictorian.

I’ve already said multiple times, including in this thread that JB isn’t cutting the mustard recruiting. Why do you keep bringing the discussion back to a point that everyone agrees on. I understand you hate JB for whatever reason and you are incapable of giving the guy credit for anything that has ever happen to SU basketball.

Find one post where I've ever discredited his accomplishments, just because you perceive me as negative towards the program doesn't mean I am and I'm not.

You can say it 1000 more times that recruiting is in the john, still doesn't mean a coach that gets a team to the bubble should even be considered for coach of the year when it was pretty much projected by coaches, fans and writers alike.

What was your prediction for the teams wins at the beginning of the year? 25 wins or so? So if we win 20 and go to the tournament you think he should be coach of the year even though he didnt even reach your pre season expectations?

I have zero agenda against JB, but I also dont have blind faith and can call a spade a spade. It's time for him to have an exit strategy so this program doesn't get any worse than it's gotten. I'll never be happy with 13 point home wins against Niagara.

I understand you hate JB for whatever reason and you are incapable of giving the guy credit for anything that has ever happen to SU basketball.

GMoney, please don't sprain an ankle falling down that slippery slope.

Is there no reasonable middle ground between (a) giving JB a Coach of the Year honor that he wouldn't deserve at all, and (b) incapable of giving JB credit for anything?

GMoney, please don't sprain an ankle falling down that slippery slope.

Is there no reasonable middle ground between (a) giving JB a Coach of the Year honor that he wouldn't deserve at all, and (b) incapable of giving JB credit for anything?

I was trying to illustrate what a great coaching job it will take to get this team into the tournament this year. I don’t actually believe he would or should be coach of the year if we make the tournament. I mentioned earlier in this thread I don’t think we do.

I don’t actually believe he would or should be coach of the year if we make the tournament.

I mean, you literally wrote "If this team gets into the NCAA tournament JB should be coach of the year."

I was trying to illustrate what a great coaching job it will take to get this team into the tournament this year. I don’t actually believe he would or should be coach of the year if we make the tournament. I mentioned earlier in this thread I don’t think we do.

You literally said it twice.

So you say something, I question it, you make up bunk to discredit me, then say what I questioned you said two times you didnt mean?

Interesting.

If this team gets into the NCAA tournament JB should be coach of the year. While we have some nice pieces this team is fatally flawed on D, rebounding and post scoring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom