NCAA weakening or crashing?? | Syracusefan.com

NCAA weakening or crashing??

A school outside the big 5 conferences can only opt in if the other teams in their conference approve. No team is going to commit itself to a competitive disadvantage within its conference. It will be all or nothing. The outcome will be that teams like UCon and Boise State, maybe the Hoyas and Nova etc, that make significant money in basketball or football, will either declare their independence, fade away or stiff arm the other teams to allow them the allowable special priviledges, like paying athletes $2,000 per head. There will be tremendous pressure for the smaller programs to build new facilities and generate more revenue so that they can all opt-in and prevent their marquee teams from leaving. This will be decision time for alot of schools. Look for the end of cheap tickets in Div 1.

How close does this make the D-1 schools leaving the NCAA? Or at least the Big 5 conferences.

How close does this make the D-1 schools leaving the NCAA? Or at least the Big 5 conferences.

If the others vote against the P5 autonomy, then I would imagine a complete break would be the next step. However, I expect the other schools to vote for the autonomy because those admins are afraid of losing their share of the tv revenue. I find this fact funny because so many people claim how Ath Dept's lose money, so wouldn't it make more business sense to let the P5 break, reduce your expenses and offer sports following the D3 model?

Yeah I know that will never happen. Instead smaller schools will spend millions on coaching salaries and facility upgrades so they can say they are "big-time".

Whereas the threat of a complete break is most likely enough to get this passed today, it would, in reality, be a huge task to pull off. The NCAA provides governance, oversight, enforcement :)rolleyes: Cleveland St - thanks for taking the hit for UNLV), support for non-revenue sports, championship management, etc. That is an IMMENSE infrastructure to have to replicate. My guess is that there is probably not the appetite among the P5 to have to reproduce at least part of the current governance structure. Things, I think, would have to get very bad for the P5 to take this poison pill. My opinion is that this was all along just a stick for the P5 to swing at the NCAA members to get its own way. There was probably little realistic expectation of actually taking their ball and going home, IMO. Gamesmanship.

My counter to that would be that the P5 controlling all the money for FB Playoff and Hoops Tourney would allow them to handle all of the necessary NCAA tasks and still be making more than they are now.

If the others vote against the P5 autonomy, then I would imagine a complete break would be the next step. However, I expect the other schools to vote for the autonomy because those admins are afraid of losing their share of the tv revenue. I find this fact funny because so many people claim how Ath Dept's lose money, so wouldn't it make more business sense to let the P5 break, reduce your expenses and offer sports following the D3 model?

Yeah I know that will never happen. Instead smaller schools will spend millions on coaching salaries and facility upgrades so they can say they are "big-time".

Many schools admins believe, rightly or wrongly, that being big time in sports also creates an image in potential applicants minds that the entire school is big time as well. Look at all the D3 schools that have gone D1 for a piece of the bball TV contract money. Did they do it because they all believe they could consistently compete successfully on the court against the ACC and B1G (Duke's affinity for 1st round choke jobs notwithstanding) or did they do it for the free advertising that being in the tournament gives them. It would be interesting to have a count of the school's website hits pre and post beating Duke.

Hoo's That said:
Many schools admins believe, rightly or wrongly, that being big time in sports also creates an image in potential applicants minds that the entire school is big time as well.
Syracuse had a ridiculous jump in applications after winning in 2003.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom