ND AD says ND will stay independent. | Syracusefan.com

ND AD says ND will stay independent.

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
McMurphyCBS Brett McMurphy

ND's Swarbrick also said stability of the new Big East allows Irish to maintain independence in football

ACC will stay at 14. Book it.

Big Ten is going to stay at 12, SEC will stay at 14, Pac-12 will stay at 12 - zero reason for the ACC to add anyone else.

So long UConn and Rutgers, enjoy festering in ConferenceUSA II.

Looks like the landscape of college football is settling, for now...

looks like Rutgers Athletic Budget is going to take a bigger hit

Luckily they'll be able to cultivate those budding rivalries from their gauntlet of a non-conference schedule.

Looks like the landscape of college football is settling, for now...

Yeah as long as the B12 doesn't expand or break up, I cannot see any more movement any time soon.

Yeah as long as the B12 doesn't expand or break up, I cannot see any more movement any time soon.

That's the last area of potential movement. The Big XII might decide to actually be a 12 team conference again. But if they did that they'd just pluck 2 more schools from the New New Big East, who would then in turn just pluck 2 more from the Mountain Conference USA West.

That's the last area of potential movement. The Big XII might decide to actually be a 12 team conference again. But if they did that they'd just pluck 2 more schools from the New New Big East, who would then in turn just pluck 2 more from the Mountain Conference USA West.

Almost makes you feel bad for the Sun Belt and MAC. They aren't the kids who are picked last in gym class. They are the kids who were never picked and everyone else just starts playing.

Big 12 could just grab Louisville and Cincy whenever they feel like it. Big East could just continue their big city where no one cares tour, grab some combo of Tulane, Temple, UNLV, San Jose State.

BTW Tulane is supposed to announced building a sweet little 30k open air stadium on campus today. That will really help them. I would love to continue playing Tulane OOC in the out years.

looks like Rutgers Athletic Budget is going to take a bigger hit
Nah, they're NYC's team... Fan's will flock to see Houston - Buttgers on Wednesday night! :)

BTW Tulane is supposed to announced building a sweet little 30k open air stadium on campus today. That will really help them. I would love to continue playing Tulane OOC in the out years.

Why would they build 28,000 more seats than they need?

Good... because all everyone else ever wants is for Notre Dame to be happy

McMurphyCBS Brett McMurphy

ND's Swarbrick also said stability of the new Big East allows Irish to maintain independence in football

titanic.jpg

Why would they build 28,000 more seats than they need?

On campus, where students can attend, this plan will work. Even with 40k in the dome, it feels empty. Tulane's baseball stadium is right behind where the football stadium will go and that is well attended. Same with basketball and the on-campus arena called referred to as the "Wave Cave." SMU made a similar move years ago after playing in Irving and I believe also the Cotton Bowl. This will help.

For the same reasons that Miami students don't like to board a bus and truck off to the off-campus stadium (at least when the team is not in the Top 10 or 15 in the country), Tulane students would rather not truck down to a sterile indoor stadium that will only cost more and therefore eat into their beer money allowance.

Yes I get it, nobody showed up this year. They really stunk. But during the Larry Smith years, Tommy Bowden years, Mack Brown years and parts of others, they not only pulled in a decent portion of the students (6k undergrad, 10k total), but a decent amount of the NO community. The campus sits among the nicest neighborhoods in the city and that could easily draw 5k to 10K. Put it this way, old Tulane stadium had 70k seats in almost the same spot. In the Superdown, the 30k or 35k that used to attend in the dome looked very empty.

Tulane football is broken, as was their basketball program during the death penalty phase. But this could go a long way in coming back. There is less school spirit there than the surrounding state schools so any extra effort and cost in order to get to a game just won't happen from the student body while the team flounders in C-USA (aka Big East Farm Team Conference). I'm sure they will let the students in for free and allow booze to be sold. Is it perfect, no. But neither is the product and a smaller stadium (i.e. lower bar) in an outdoor setting (the one time of the year the weather in NO is great) withing walking distance of the campus and surrounding wealthy community can only help.

Personally I'd love to see SU continue the series down there. Great for recruiting, great road trip and I hear there are one or two decent restaurants down there. The big issue is they have to keep any successful coach in the program. Too many have left once they achieved any sort of success.

Almost makes you feel bad for the Sun Belt and MAC. They aren't the kids who are picked last in gym class. They are the kids who were never picked and everyone else just starts playing.

Big 12 could just grab Louisville and Cincy whenever they feel like it. Big East could just continue their big city where no one cares tour, grab some combo of Tulane, Temple, UNLV, San Jose State.

Agree

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom