Need a bad attitude DT | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Need a bad attitude DT

I hope Elmore is full time on D this year, it will put him even further ahead next year, when it's no doubt he'll be on D. (We'll have Adams and Howard, and if one or both of them can't be the goal line back, then we'll have huge problems that Elmore can't solve).

Use him for a handful of plays this year if needed, but otherwise, get him on D.

he also lost us the one game because he couldnt run over a DB from the 1.
This is wrong. Yes a db filled. But that ignores the pinch. 3 and playside backer made the play. Db did his job and was in the right place. Saying a 280 lb guy didn't run over a 180 lb guy to make the big guy out to be a weakling is real manly of you. But you left out the part about the 180 lb guy having his back against a wall.

Edit...and this didn't decide the game. C'mon man!

Elmore has worked exclusively on offense in RVAs and anytime you see him in photos etc. he's on offense. I would expect him to move over to DL next season.

Unless they actually throw him the ball I might lose it If he splits out to WR this year.

Have made the comparison before and I'll make it again. Elmore is our version of Wake's Nikita Whitlock who used to beat the snot out of us as a 5' 11" DT. He then got a cup o' coffee in the NFL playing both DT and FB and is now in the CFL.

IMO, Elmore, at this stage, is better than Whitlock because he offers more size and versatility (Whitlock was a coverted 255 pound LB'er to DT).

And if the DT's are deep enough this season and we are lacking a FB, then again, IMO, in Dino I trust to allow the kid to have final say on these judgement calls. Similar to Stritzinger who came here, in part, because Dino told him he could play whatever position he wants. And now it looks like he'll get real burn in the Secondary this coming season. Not a bad return on "investment".

I like Elmore on the DL too. Thing was, like you said, Whitlock was a converted lb. Like ruff. A lbs feet with a motor in the A gap is a nightmare for Olineman, getting leverage under their pads and into gaps quickly and disruptive.

Listed at 6’

Some of the best DT's/NT's that I've ever seen control the line of scrimmage, at all levels, are on the short and stocky side. And it doesn't translate into big time stats. Like Ish88888 eludes to above, there's a saying in the trenches that "low man wins". In HS ball our 5' 6" 225 NT would cause hell for the 6' 2" 275 G or C by getting under their pad levels and being strong enough to drive them in whatever direction wanted. Warren Sapp comes to mind as perhaps the best ever in this mold.

Would love to see Shy get a crack at this FB spot too if he and coaches feel that'll get him onto the field if surpassed on the LB chart (hoping not b/c would love to see Shy rush the passer; again, quickness and pad level win). Have no idea if that's ever been discussed.

Was looking forward to seeing what Jesse Connors brings to the table; his measurables, athletic history, and reported skill-set reminds this fan of Tony Fiammetta who was obviously a much higher rated recruit coming out of HS. Is he still nicked up? Haven't heard much about him since Spring ball. Would like to see a guy like him motion as a TE, then into the backfield, or vice versa, in order to create match-up issues for others or allow the QB to audible into something advantageous..

59494-100Bk.jpg
Speaking of short defensive linemen...At Syracuse anyway...

59494-100Bk.jpg
Speaking of short defensive linemen...At Syracuse anyway...

He did use his quickness to disrupt things.
That 93 season (Mitchell's senior year) was the oddest year I have ever seen as a fan.

Some of the best DT's/NT's that I've ever seen control the line of scrimmage, at all levels, are on the short and stocky side. And it doesn't translate into big time stats. Like Ish88888 eludes to above, there's a saying in the trenches that "low man wins". In HS ball our 5' 6" 225 NT would cause hell for the 6' 2" 275 G or C by getting under their pad levels and being strong enough to drive them in whatever direction wanted. Warren Sapp comes to mind as perhaps the best ever in this mold.

Would love to see Shy get a crack at this FB spot too if he and coaches feel that'll get him onto the field if surpassed on the LB chart (hoping not b/c would love to see Shy rush the passer; again, quickness and pad level win). Have no idea if that's ever been discussed.

Was looking forward to seeing what Jesse Connors brings to the table; his measurables, athletic history, and reported skill-set reminds this fan of Tony Fiammetta who was obviously a much higher rated recruit coming out of HS. Is he still nicked up? Haven't heard much about him since Spring ball. Would like to see a guy like him motion as a TE, then into the backfield, or vice versa, in order to create match-up issues for others or allow the QB to audible into something advantageous..

Alot of good points, low COG on the interior DL is huge. As far as fb, would love to se3 shy get a solid look. What a frame and speed.

Speaking of bad attitude DT's...how many of those have been booted from the program?

At least 2 that I can think of off the top of my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom