Need computer help advice | Syracusefan.com

Need computer help advice

dasher

Living Legend
I have some sort of virus. I get pop up ads for about 5 minutes. After I delete them, everything is fine. But it is every time.
What is the best, easiest anti virus that I can buy. I was just going to take it to Best Buy but would rather not lose the
computer for a few days with what I expect will be Syracuse basketball news over the next few days.

I have some sort of virus. I get pop up ads for about 5 minutes. After I delete them, everything is fine. But it is every time.
What is the best, easiest anti virus that I can buy. I was just going to take it to Best Buy but would rather not lose the
computer for a few days with what I expect will be Syracuse basketball news over the next few days.

Bitdefender if you go the software route (I believe Microsoft Defender is free if you have Windows 10/11, too). If you have everything backed up, though, I always just recommend a full recovery - it’s easy and free, even if a mild inconvenience.

If you are a Spectrum customer, I would download and install their free solution and see if they fixes the problem. It should.

If that isn’t happening, I would try a free trial from McAfee and see if that works. Maybe buy their solution. It is well regarded.

If you are a Spectrum customer, I would download and install their free solution and see if they fixes the problem. It should.

If that isn’t happening, I would try a free trial from McAfee and see if that works. Maybe buy their solution. It is well regarded.

Never knew about that Spectrum product. I've had their internet for years, but have always used Norton.

If they are pop up ads in your browser they are likely not a virus. I would suggest resetting whatever browser you use back to the default settings. You can google the instructions for that easily.

I would then run a scan with the AV built into windows, Defender as it's good enough for home use. Also suggest downloading Malwarebytes and running that.

If after all that you are still having issues you can reset Windows itself. Be sure to pick the option that keeps your files.

Get a PC and install linux; get free of apple and microsoft - its your computer, not theirs.

Is the important part of this message the question on antivirus or the fact dash believes big news is coming the next few days? In my head I was like “yeah dash bitdefender and whats the news coming in ?” Cut me some slack, I’m only water. Seriously dash run a security program like bitdefender (have used awhile)first to be safe and make sure there isn’t something bad. When you find out it isn’t bad, it’s then probably just a matter of clearing your browser and then upping some of your settings.

So, that last part hasn't gotten the attention it deserves...

Mcaffee and Norton are complete garbage. They are viruses themselves. PACuse had this right. MWB and Kaspersky are best
I havent used Norton. Years ago I used McAfee and I agree it was crap. However, I bought a new computer a year or so ago and it came with McAfee and I gave it another try, and it has been just fine. They also have pretty good multi-year deals for multiple devices.

could be an extension in your browser, you might want to check your browser extensions, delete anything not needed and clear your cache. Worst case with the browser is just uninstall it and re-install.

You should also check the 'uninstall or change a program' window in your control panel. Make sure there is nothing suspicious installed. (check publisher name and date installed.) Many ad-pop ups are add-ons to something that's been downloaded or an extension from a website is in the browser like chrome.

i work for an AV company. this sounds like something in the browser - I use a custom HOSTS file and it blocks 90% of the crap:

Norton and Macafee are memory hogs! And as mentioned, it is more likely they are invasive than helpful.

If Malware bytes is still free, get it and that's all you need. Another fallback is windows defender which should be already built in. I do not believe it is invasive and will update virus definitions on its own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom